•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Ontario to release new COVID-19 projections as Ottawa pledges support for Nunavut

20:15  26 november  2020
20:15  26 november  2020 Source:   msn.com

Nunavut orders shutdown of non-essential businesses, schools as cases jump to 26

  Nunavut orders shutdown of non-essential businesses, schools as cases jump to 26 IQALUIT, Nunavut — Nunavut's chief public health officer has ordered a two-week shutdown, starting Wednesday, of non-essential businesses and schools in the territory due to the spread of COVID-19. Michael Patterson said Monday all health centres will close except for emergency services and all visits to long-term care centres will be restricted. Child care centres must also close to all children except for those of essential workers. RecreationMichael Patterson said Monday all health centres will close except for emergency services and all visits to long-term care centres will be restricted.

COVID - 19 case data: All Ontario . COVID - 19 cases: Long-term care homes. Get a phone alert if you have been exposed to COVID - 19 covid 19 (coronavirus), and let others know if you test positive without sharing any personal information. Learn about our new framework to keep Ontario safe and open.

Ontario government has revealed projection numbers for the province to be just under 1,600 COVID - 19 deaths and 80,000 cases by the end of April, if the current measures in place are upheld.

Quebec hit a new daily record for COVID-19 cases and Ontario awaited new predictions for the spread of the virus as the federal government pledged funds to help Nunavut deal with its soaring caseload.

a person riding on the back of a bicycle © Provided by The Canadian Press

Quebec reported 1,464 new infections on Thursday, the province's highest daily tally since the pandemic began.

It also recorded 32 additional deaths, eight of which took place in the last day.

Health Minister Christian Dube said on Twitter that the battle against the virus is "far from won," and he urged Quebecers to respect public health measures and limit their contacts.

This business claims it built a better COVID-19 forecasting model but can't get government to bite

  This business claims it built a better COVID-19 forecasting model but can't get government to bite As COVID-19 continues to surge across the country, a Canadian company says it's created software to better predict how the virus will spread and compare interventions to slow the second wave, but it can't break through bureaucracy to show health officials how it can help. "Everybody's running around reacting so much, they won't even sit down and take a serious look at the innovation we've built," said Paul Minshull, CEO of Scarsin Corporation.

A COVID - 19 assessment centre in Sudbury that offers drive-thru virus testing is seen here. Ontario 's emergency orders were set to expire June 9, but the province The province's emergency orders had been set to expire June 9 but Ontario announced Saturday that they are being extended until June 19.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford released his government's projections on COVID - 19 death rates on Friday and urged everyone in the province to Those revelations were part of modelling projections the province released Friday about the spread of COVID - 19 . Matthew Anderson, the head of Ontario


Video: Alberta faces pressure for increased restrictions as COVID-19 cases ‘snowball’ (cbc.ca)

Ontario, which is expected to unveil new projections this afternoon, recorded 1,478 new cases Thursday and 21 more deaths.

Two weeks ago, provincial health advisers predicted there could be as many as 6,500 new daily infections by mid-December if nothing was done to limit the spread of the virus.

It will be the first such data release since the Toronto and neighbouring Peel Region started facing the province's toughest restrictions earlier this week.

Meanwhile, Ottawa is pledging $19 million to help Nunavut deal with its worsening COVID-19 outbreak. Until early November the territory had no COVID-19 infections, but now there are 153 active infections.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published November 26, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Canada sends $19M to Nunavut for emergency pandemic response .
After cases of COVID-19 swept through the Kivalliq region, Canada says it is sending "immediate assistance" to Nunavut communities.On Wednesday, the federal government committed $19.36 million to the COVID-19 response in Nunavut.

usr: 5
This is interesting!