•   
  •   
  •   

Canada E-learning for Peel Region schools; Broncos crash tribute: In The News for April 6

12:51  06 april  2021
12:51  06 april  2021 Source:   msn.com

Church bells and candles on 3rd anniversary of Humboldt Broncos bus crash

  Church bells and candles on 3rd anniversary of Humboldt Broncos bus crash Twenty-nine candles were also lit in memory of those who died and to honour those who survived the Humboldt Broncos bus crash. © Facebook / Screenshot Twenty-nine candles were also lit in memory of those who died and to honour those who survived t Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ceremony on Tuesday was held online from the St. Augustine Catholic Church in Humboldt, Sask., while hundreds of people watched.

TORONTO — Schools in Peel Region have been ordered to close as of April 6 and switch to remote learning only as COVID-19 cases continue to surge. Students in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga will participate in online learning until at least April 18, officials said. That date could also be extended if required. All Dufferin Peel District Catholic School Board, Peel District School Boards, Conseil Scolaire Viamonde, Conseil scolaire catholique MonAvenir and all private schools including all elementary staff and students, secondary staff and students and Special Education staff and students.

April Break spring camps were also cancelled. Schools in those jurisdictions will move to online learning until at least April 18. “Late last week and through the weekend, Peel saw significant increases in case counts and the spread of variants in the community,” a statement issued by Region of Peel on Monday said. The schools were closed on Monday due to the Easter long weekend and the April break was pre-scheduled for the week of April 12. Section 22 orders allow medical officers of health to put in place requirements aimed at slowing the spread of communicable diseases.

In The News is a roundup of stories from The Canadian Press designed to kickstart your day. Here is what's on the radar of our editors for the morning of April 6 ...

a group of people standing on top of a mountain © Provided by The Canadian Press

What we are watching in Canada ...

Schools in Peel Region are closed for in-person learning starting today.

Dr. Lawrence Loh, the region's medical officer of health, has ordered schools in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga to move classes online.

The closure will remain in place until April 18 and Loh says it may be extended if necessary.

The top doctor in the Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph public health unit has ordered all schools to stop in-person learning starting tomorrow, with classes to return no sooner than April 19.

9 April Fools' Day Headlines That Turned Out to Be True (Photos)

  9 April Fools' Day Headlines That Turned Out to Be True (Photos) From the death of Marvin Gaye to a Will Ferrell-Kristen Wiig Lifetime movie, these events were unfortunately timed for April Fools' Day but were 100 percent real. Happy April Fool's Day. We hope you don't fall for any tricks — and that you don't take any real headline to be fake. Here are some examples of April 1 headlines that turned out to be completely real. Singer Marvin Gaye was fatally shot by his father, Marvin Gaye Sr., on April 1, 1984. The news was so shocking and the timing so unfortunate that even Gaye's close friend Smokey Robinson thought it was a morbid prank by the disc jockey on the radio station where he heard it.

Peel Public Health has issued a Section 22 order to close all schools and switch to remote learning only in Brampton, Caledon, and Mississauga for two weeks. The health unit says this will be effective at 12:01 a.m. on April 6 . The closure will remain in place through the end of day April 18. Further decisions to extend the order will be made, as required, and Peel Public Health says the return will be re-evaluated closer to that date and is subject to change. “This closure is a necessary step to protect staff and students in Peel Region .

Schools in Brampton, Caledon, and Mississauga will be closed for the next two weeks, after Peel Public Health issued a Section 22 order under the Ontario Health Protection and Promotion Act. Under the order, learning will be remote only beginning 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday and lasting at least until the end "This closure will allow students and staff at least two weeks out of schools to break any chains of transmission and protect them from exposure," Peel Public Health said in the statement. "All April Break spring camps for school -age children will be cancelled." A spokesperson for Toronto Public

In Toronto, the public health unit says it has recommended the closure of 20 schools as COVID-19 cases are investigated.

The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario and the Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association have also asked for schools in virus hot spots to move classes online until teachers can be vaccinated.

---

Also this ...

Ryan G. Hinds longs for the days of walking through the halls of a theatre and seeing musicians warm up, stage managers chit-chatting and technicians sharing a piece of licorice before a show.

It's been a long year for the 42-year-old Toronto actor and cabaret performer, who has watched how a safety net for unemployed workers has failed to catch gig workers like Hinds.

The place of gig workers has become a key issue in ongoing deliberation on how the decades-old employment insurance system will be updated.

NHL postpones Wednesday's Calgary-Vancouver game

  NHL postpones Wednesday's Calgary-Vancouver game The NHL has decided to ere on the side of caution as a result of Adam Gaudette’s positive COVID-19 test. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reports (Twitter link) that tonight’s game between the Canucks and Flames has been postponed.  TSN’s Frank Seravalli tweets that the decision was made after more information has surfaced regarding Vancouver’s test results; that information obviously has not yet been made public.

A -million tribute centre is being planned to honour the victims of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash . Tuesday marks the three-year anniversary of the crash , which killed 16 people and injured 13 others. City and team officials unveiled a blueprint for the tribute centre Monday at a news “We’re really looking forward to this as a next step in the healing process.” Humboldt’s deputy Mayor Rob Muench said. Organizers say million is an initial estimate of costs, and that could change as the project advances. They say a host of companies and individuals have already pledged to help in any

Peel Region ’s decision follows speculation about a possible return to remote learning throughout the province, with some school boards urging students and teachers to take learning materials home before the Easter long weekend just in case. Peel ’s decision to close their schools runs contrary to Premier Doug Ford’s decision to keep schools open throughout the province, saying that to close them would be disastrous for children’s mental health. Caitlin Clark, a spokesperson for Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce, said: “ Schools remain safe with strong public health measures in place.”

There is general agreement that the social safety net program created eight decades ago needs to be adapted to cover gig workers when they fall on hard times.

Questions exist at the practical level, such as how to calculate premiums and benefits, in addition to policy concerns about determining when someone needs aid, given that the nature of gig employment includes ups and downs.

"EI has to join the 21st century because to me, an EI that doesn't cover everybody isn't a functional or realistic or fair or useful EI," said Hinds, who uses the pronoun they.

The April 19 budget could signal where the government is heading, particularly as it lays out federal expectations for premiums paid by employers and employees, and benefits to be paid out, over the coming years.

---

What we are watching in the U.S. ...

The Minneapolis police chief testified Monday that now-fired Officer Derek Chauvin violated departmental policy — and went against “our principles and the values that we have” — in pressing his knee on George Floyd’s neck and keeping him down after Floyd had stopped resisting and was in distress.

'A next step': Humboldt planning $25M tribute centre to mark deadly Broncos bus crash

  'A next step': Humboldt planning $25M tribute centre to mark deadly Broncos bus crash HUMBOLDT, Sask. — A Saskatchewan city says it has a plan to permanently commemorate the deadly Broncos bus crash. The announcement by the City of Humboldt comes on the eve of the third anniversary of the crash, which claimed the lives of 16 people and injured 13 others. The preliminary plan from the Broncos Memorial Committee includes a $25-million tribute centre, which is to have a gallery honouring the victims as well as an arena and a fitness and physiotherapy area. "Committee members recognized there was an opportunity to do more than just build a simple, solemn memorial to those who are lost," said Humboldt city manager Joe Day at a news conference Monday.

The Peel District School Board has sent a letter to parents informing them that it plans to “restart teacher-directed instruction on April 6 .” Earlier this month, Premier Doug Ford ordered the closure of all schools in the province for three weeks in order to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools were initially slated to reopen on April 6 but Ford has since said that the closure will be extended with a formal announcement expected to be made by Education Minister Stephen Lecce sometime this week.

On April 6 , 2018, sixteen people were killed and thirteen were injured when a northbound coach bus struck a westbound semi-trailer truck near Armley, Saskatchewan, Canada.

Continuing to kneel on Floyd's neck once he was handcuffed behind his back and lying on his stomach was “in no way, shape or form” part of department policy or training, "and it is certainly not part of our ethics or our values,” Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said on Day Six of Chauvin's murder trial.

Arradondo, the city’s first Black chief, fired Chauvin and three other officers the day after Floyd’s death last May, and in June called it “murder.”

While police have long been accused of closing ranks to protect fellow members of the force charged with wrongdoing — the “blue wall of silence,” as it’s known — some of the most experienced officers in the Minneapolis department have taken the stand to openly condemn Chauvin’s treatment of Floyd.

As jurors watched in rapt attention and scribbled notes, Arradondo testified not only that Chauvin, a 19-year veteran of the force, should have let Floyd up sooner, but that the pressure on Floyd’s neck did not appear to be light to moderate, as called for under the department's neck-restraint policy; that Chauvin failed in his duty to render first aid before the ambulance arrived; and that he violated policy requiring officers to de-escalate tense situations with no or minimal force if they can.

The Masters: Tee times, TV and streaming for the opening round of the first PGA Tour major of 2021

  The Masters: Tee times, TV and streaming for the opening round of the first PGA Tour major of 2021 All the information you need to get ready for the opening round of the 85th Masters at Augusta National Golf Club.The world No. 1 and defending Masters champion is looking to become the fourth golfer to repeat as Masters champion — joining Jack Nicklaus (1965-66), Nick Faldo (1989-90) and Tiger Woods (2001-02).

“That action is not de-escalation," the police chief said. "And when we talk about the framework of our sanctity of life and when we talk about our principles and the values that we have, that action goes contrary to what we are talking about.”

---

What we are watching in the rest of the world ...

Steam and lava spurted Monday from a new fissure at an Icelandic volcano that began erupting last month, prompting the evacuation of hundreds of hikers who had come to see the spectacle.

The new fissure, first spotted by a sightseeing helicopter, was about 500 metres (550 yards) long and about a kilometre (around a half-mile) from the original eruption site in the Geldinga Valley.

The Icelandic Department of Emergency Management announced an immediate evacuation of the area. It said there was no imminent danger to life due to the site’s distance form popular hiking paths.

The Icelandic Meteorological Office said the new volcanic activity wasn't expected to affect traffic at nearby Keflavik Airport.

The long-dormant volcano on the Reykjanes Peninsula in southwest Iceland flared to life March 20 after tens of thousands of earthquakes were recorded in the area in the past three weeks. It was the area’s first volcanic eruption in nearly 800 years.

The volcano’s proximity to Iceland’s capital, Reykjavík, about 32 kilometres (20 miles) away, has brought a steady stream of tourists to the area, even with the country in partial lockdown to combat the coronavirus. Around 30,000 people have visited the area since the eruption began, according to the Icelandic Tourist Board.

Closed schools but open centers open during school holidays?

 Closed schools but open centers open during school holidays? © Copyright 2021, the Obs it would be good news for some parents, but which asks the question of the consistency of the new measurements announced by Emmanuel Macron . Spotted by the local daily " Northern Voice ", the Minister of National Education Jean-Michel Blanquer announced at the microphone of RTL this Thursday, April 1, that the aerated centers will be able to welcome children during the school holidays , advanced and unified for all France.

---

Also this...

Ten officials have been indicted in Iran over the 2020 military shootdown of a Ukrainian passenger plane that killed 176 people, Iranian media reported Tuesday, an announcement coming just as Tehran begins indirect negotiations with the West over its collapsed nuclear deal with world powers.

The timing of the announcement comes after Iran faced withering international criticism last month for releasing a final report into the shootdown of Ukraine International Airlines flight No. PS752 that blamed human error but named no one responsible for the incident.

Tehran military prosecutor Gholamabbas Torki made the comment Tuesday while handing over his office to Nasser Seraj. The semiofficial ISNA news agency and the Iranian judiciary's Mizan news agency both reported the remarks, without elaborating.

Following three days of denial in January 2020 in the face of mounting evidence, Iran finally acknowledged that its forces mistakenly downed the Ukrainian jetliner with two surface-to-air missiles. In preliminary reports on the disaster last year, Iranian authorities blamed an air defence operator who they said mistook the Boeing 737-800 for an American cruise missile.

The shootdown happened the same day Iran launched a ballistic missile attack on U.S. troops in Iraq in retaliation for an American drone strike that killed a top Iranian general.

---

On this day in 1851 ...

The Canadian government took over the country's postal system from Britain.

---

In sports news ...

Saskatchewan city plans $25M tribute centre to mark deadly Broncos bus crash

  Saskatchewan city plans $25M tribute centre to mark deadly Broncos bus crash HUMBOLDT, Sask. — A Saskatchewan city says it has a plan to permanently commemorate the deadly Broncos bus crash. The announcement by the City of Humboldt comes on the eve of the third anniversary of the crash, which claimed the lives of 16 people and injured 13 others. The plan includes a $25-million tribute centre, which is to have a gallery honouring the victims as well as an arena and a fitness and physiotherapy area. The city says money for the project has to be raised and it will be at least a couple of years before construction gets underway.

A virtual tribute is planned for today to mark the third anniversary of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash.

Sixteen people died and 13 were injured when a semi-trailer ran a stop sign and into the path of the junior hockey team's bus near Tisdale, Sask., on April 6, 2018.

The service from St. Augustine Catholic Church is to be livestreamed on the city of Humboldt's Facebook page.

It's to involve lighted candles and tolling church bells, followed by a moment of silence at 4:50 p.m., about the time the crash occurred.

The mayor has deemed today '2017-18 Humboldt Broncos Day' and would like to see that continued every April 6.

Meanwhile, the City of Humboldt says it has a plan to permanently commemorate the deadly Broncos bus crash.

The preliminary plan from the Broncos Memorial Committee includes a $25-million tribute centre, which is to have a gallery honouring the victims as well as an arena and a fitness and physiotherapy area.

"Committee members recognized there was an opportunity to do more than just build a simple, solemn memorial to those who are lost," said Humboldt city manager Joe Day at a news conference Monday.

"There was the opportunity also to celebrate what each of those who were lost really stood for, to celebrate the outpouring of support from around the world, to build something that could benefit the community for generations."

---

ICYMI ...

A former student of an all-boys Catholic school is suing Toronto police over a sexual assault investigation the teen alleges was negligent and resulted in "baseless charges" against a victim.

The teen launched a $1-million suit against the Toronto Police Services Board and several officers for their role in a sexual assault investigation at St. Michael's College School in 2018.

The boy, who cannot be named due to provisions in the Youth Criminal Justice Act but goes by John Doe in the court documents, said he was not involved in the sexual assault of a member of the school's football team on Nov. 7, 2018.

Later that month, police laid several charges against the teen, including sexual assault and sexual assault with a weapon.

The Crown dropped the charges against the boy in August 2019.

The teen's lawyer said his client had been the victim of sexual assault in a similar incident and he felt revictimized by police.

"He was the victim of a brutal sexual assault," said the teen's lawyer, Justin Linden. "And instead of receiving the support he should have received at the outset, he was mistakenly charged by the police with participating in another sexual assault, was taken into custody, his parents had to hire a criminal lawyer, and he was completely innocent."

The Toronto Police Services Board declined to comment.

---

This report by The Canadian Press was first published April 6, 2021

The Canadian Press

Woods was driving almost 90 mph when he crashed SUV near LA .
LOS ANGELES — Tiger Woods was driving nearly 90 mph — twice the posted speed limit — on a downhill stretch of road when he lost control of an SUV and crashed in a wreck that seriously injured the golf superstar, authorities said Wednesday. Sheriff Alex Villanueva blamed the Feb. 23 crash outside Los Angeles solely on excessive speed and Woods’ loss of control behind the wheel. The athlete will not face any citations for his third high-profile collision in 11 years. “The primary causal factor for this traffic collision was driving at a speed unsafe for the road conditions and the inability to negotiate the curve of the roadway,” the sheriff told a news conference.

usr: 8
This is interesting!