•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Latest military misconduct controversy spells trouble for true change in Canadian Forces: experts

01:22  06 october  2021
01:22  06 october  2021 Source:   globalnews.ca

Should he stay or should he go? Speculation heats up on Sajjan’s future in defence post

  Should he stay or should he go? Speculation heats up on Sajjan’s future in defence post Speculation is heating up among those working around the defence file over rumours of a female defence minister to replace Harjit Sajjan — and three names keep coming up. At some point in the coming weeks or months, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will name his new cabinet after winning a minority government in the Canadian election.

Then-chief of the defence staff General Jonathan Vance, center, and Major-General Peter Dawe, left, inspect the guard at a Canadian Special Operations Forces Command change of command ceremony in Ottawa on Wednesday, April 25, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Patrick Doyle © THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Patrick Doyle Then-chief of the defence staff General Jonathan Vance, center, and Major-General Peter Dawe, left, inspect the guard at a Canadian Special Operations Forces Command change of command ceremony in Ottawa on Wednesday, April 25, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/ Patrick Doyle

Experts are questioning the Canadian Armed Forces' (CAF) willingness to tackle sexual misconduct within its ranks after Maj. Gen. Peter Dawe, who wrote a positive reference letter for a sex offender, returned to work and was tasked with working on a number of reviews related to sexual misconduct within the forces.

Becky G: A Day in My Life

  Becky G: A Day in My Life Making all of her dreams come true! Becky G has a lot on her plate, but it’s all worth it if it means she can check goals off of her to-do list. The 24-year-old singer (real name Rebbeca Gomez) has already made her mark on the music industry since being discovered online in 2011. Now, she is tackling the world of makeup with her own collection called Treslúce Beauty, which launched in June. Gomez told Byrdie in August that she saw herself as a “student” while collaborating with other major beauty brands, including Covergirl and Colourpop Cosmetics. She then moved toward creating her own line. “Those little things were just me learning and building more confidence to be able to be in the position that I’m in now,” she explained. “I’ve annoyingly been involved in every single phase — from names to brand colors to logos to just overall product development — to be as innovative and authentic as possible.” Gomez revealed that one of the brand’s missions is to “amplify the beauty, diversity and complexity of Latinx culture with the goal of advancing and influencing others’ understanding and acceptance of our culture.” The “Shower” songstress hinted in December 2018 that she wanted to try her hand at the field. “It’s always been a dream of mine to venture out into the beauty world given that makeup is a passion of mine,” she exclusively told Us Weekly at the time.

"I'm honestly at a loss for words. It's so hard to understand why this individual would be put in this position," said Megan MacKenzie, who studies military sexual misconduct at B.C.'s Simon Fraser University.

"To put someone in a position of power over this issue who has made really poor judgment, I think really signals to the forces that this isn't going to be a moment of change."

Read more: General who wrote reference for sex offender now working on sexual misconduct files

Dawe was directed to leave his post “immediately” in early May, following reports he wrote a character reference for another service member who had been convicted of six criminal counts, including sexual assault.

Now, Dawe has been tasked with compiling and scrutinizing materials from multiple sexual misconduct reviews.

Lawyer argues general's removal from vaccine campaign threatens military independence

  Lawyer argues general's removal from vaccine campaign threatens military independence OTTAWA — A lawyer for Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin painted the senior military officer’s abrupt removal as head of Canada’s COVID-19 vaccine rollout in May as a threat to the independence of the Canadian Armed Forces. The comments came Tuesday during the first day of a two-day hearing in which Fortin’s legal team led by Thomas Conway asked a Federal Court judge to reinstate their client to his former job at the Public Health Agency of Canada, or a similar position.

The reviews in question include a June report from former Supreme Court justice Morris Fish, which found that sexual misconduct remains as “rampant” and “destructive” in 2021 as it was in 2015, and another from former Supreme Court Justice Louise Arbour.

Arbour’s review is aimed at providing advice to the government on creating an independent reporting system.

"You have victims coming forward and really making themselves vulnerable, and then this...is just further traumatizing victims who are already in such a difficult position coming forward," MacKenzie said.

"Again, I'm just at a loss."

Colten Skibinsky, a former military member and survivor of sexual assault, was also confused by the decision to put Dawe in such a role.

"My initial thoughts, and the thoughts of the community, were that this is the wrong person for this position. Entirely the wrong person," Skibinsky said, speaking on behalf of It's Not Just 700, a support group set up to help current and former military members traumatized by sexual misconduct while serving in uniform.

Military began monitoring COVID-19 in early 2020 but still failed to predict pandemic's path, documents show

  Military began monitoring COVID-19 in early 2020 but still failed to predict pandemic's path, documents show Newly-released documents show the Canadian military was concerned enough about the initial spread of COVID 19 to begin monitoring and planning for a response in late January 2020. However, experts say it later dropped the ball in terms of forecasting the trajectory and the impact of the virus.Experts are now asking whether that early advantage was squandered when it came to forecasting the trajectory of the pandemic and its impact on both troops and the general public.

"I really want to know how this benefits Canada and Canadians. Nobody's saying General Dawe can't return to work. But why is he returning to work in this role? How does this better serve Canada? I really don't think this is the time or position for a man like Pete Dawe to have a learning experience."

Read more: Commander of Special Forces to be replaced ‘immediately,’ CAF chief of defence staff says

In a statement sent to Global News, a spokesperson for Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan said the government is "working to deliver reforms that will bolster CAF members’ confidence in the military justice system."

"Our members and employees deserve institutions in which they can have full confidence," wrote Sajjan's spokesperson Daniel Minden.

Minden added that the Acting Chief of Defence Staff Lt.-Gen Wayne Eyre is the one responsible for the chain of command, and that he was the one who made the decision to allow Dawe back to work.

"Our government remains committed to a complete institutional culture change in the Department of National Defence and Canadian Armed Forces," he said.

Military 'tone-deaf' to appoint general who supported sex offender to key role reviewing sexual misconduct

  Military 'tone-deaf' to appoint general who supported sex offender to key role reviewing sexual misconduct Survivors of sexual assault and former soldiers say the Canadian military needs to explain why it has assigned a general who once wrote a positive reference letter for a sex offender to a key role examining sexual misconduct within the armed forces. Maj.-Gen. Peter Dawe has been tasked with reviewing recommendations from an ongoing investigation into military sexual misconduct by former Supreme Court justice Louise Arbour. In 2017, Dawe submitted positive character references to a judge ahead of the sentencing of Maj.

The prime minister's office refused to comment, deferring instead to Sajjan's spokesperson.

The Canadian military is in the grips of an institutional crisis over its handling of sexual misconduct and, in particular, the conduct of its senior leaders — some of whom now face allegations of misconduct.

On Feb. 2, the issue burst into the spotlight after Global News reported on allegations against now-retired Gen. Jonathan Vance, the former chief of the defence staff. Vance has denied the allegations.

In the weeks that followed, military police have opened investigations into Vance as well as Adm. Art McDonald, Vance’s successor as chief of defence staff. Vance was subsequently charged with one count of obstruction of justice on July 15.

Multiple women have also spoken out publicly, sharing allegations of high-level sexual misconduct in the Canadian Forces.

The allegations also led to the launch of two studies by parliamentary committees.

Read more: Maj. Kellie Brennan tells MPs Vance said he was ‘untouchable,’ fathered 2 of her kids

Both Skibinsky and MacKenzie say that it's going to take intervention from outside of the armed forces to ensure there's real change in how the military handles sexual misconduct.

"We have had a minister of defense who's been absent on this file, who keeps deferring back to the institution. And we have clear signals that this is an institution that can't handle this problem," Mackenzie said.

"And so for me, the responsibility lies at the foot of the minister, who has been absolutely unaccountable on this file and has had zero leadership. I think the government on the civilian side needs to say this is a problem that is not being handled well internally."

Skibinsky agreed.

"I don't think the military can change on its own. This just really is going to take the military and Parliament working together," he said.

"It's not enough to just manage the institution and keep it running day to day. We need reform. So I really think government and the armed forces are going to have to come together."

Minister orders probe after ex-officer accused of sexual misconduct gets job at naval base .
Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan has ordered a review of the rapid release of a former navy commander who was under investigation for sexual misconduct and is now back working as a civilian at the naval base in Halifax.The move comes days after CBC News first contacted the Department of National Defence (DND) about retired commander Danny Croucher's case.

usr: 0
This is interesting!