•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Saskatchewan planning to send critical COVID-19 patients to Ontario

00:05  14 october  2021
00:05  14 october  2021 Source:   msn.com

2022 Saskatchewan Winter Games to require proof of vaccination

  2022 Saskatchewan Winter Games to require proof of vaccination Athletes and organizers currently hard at work preparing for the Saskatchewan Winter Games now have one more task to complete - get fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before the start of the games. The Saskatchewan Games Council said this decision will "provide the safest possible environment for all participants, volunteers and attendees." Those attending the games will need to get their last shot at least two weeks before their arrival at the Games, and will need to show proof of vaccination. Proof of a negative COVID-19 test will not be accepted as an alternative.

REGINA — Saskatchewan is preparing to send some of its critical COVID-19 patients to Ontario as its hospitals are over capacity.

  Saskatchewan planning to send critical COVID-19 patients to Ontario © Provided by The Canadian Press

Saskatchewan Health Authority CEO Scott Livingstone said Wednesday that the province is preparing air ambulance flights.

Transfers to Ontario could likely happen this week, he said, but that depends on the admissions to Saskatchewan's intensive care units.

"We've been in discussion with Ontario to provide care to Saskatchewan residents in the event that we will not be able to care for them within our standard of care," Livingstone said.

Ontario reports 429 new COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths

  Ontario reports 429 new COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths Up to the minute entertainment news, features, event highlights, award shows, movie trailers and reviews

On Tuesday, the province was two patients shy of having 116 people in its ICUs — the threshold that would trigger sending ICU patients out of province.

The number also means Saskatchewan's ICUs are nearing 150 per cent capacity, which is when the province has said it would activate its triage protocol.

Saskatchewan has stopped all elective surgeries, started cancelling urgent surgeries and admitted adults into its children's hospital. Additionally, more than 160 health-care workers have been redeployed.

"We are seeing unprecedented rates of hospitalizations and ICU admissions. This is pushing the system to a place where we are not providing care to non-COVID patients across this province as we should be," Livingstone said.

Premier Scott Moe to address COVID-19 situation in Saskatchewan

  Premier Scott Moe to address COVID-19 situation in Saskatchewan Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe will be addressing the COVID-19 situation in the province at a Thursday morning briefing. Moe, along with Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency president Marlo Pritchard, is holding a press conference at 10 a.m. Thursday. Global News will be livestreaming the briefing. Read more: Saskatchewan patients waiting for life-saving surgeries, clarity from health officials On Wednesday, Saskatchewan reported 356 people were in hospital due to COVID-19, 76 of whom are in intensive care. Both numbers are record highs for the province.


Video: Medical groups demand urgent federal support for overwhelmed hospitals (Global News)

He added that a major medical event would result in doctors choosing who does and does not get an intensive care bed.

"We're making sure we're prepared for the worst," he said.

Ottawa has offered help to Saskatchewan.

Marlo Pritchard, president of Saskatchewan'sPublic Safety Agency, who is also leading its emergency operations centre, said the province has not applied for federal help.

Last week, Premier Scott Moe said Saskatchewan is being "realistic," as the Armed Forces and Red Cross have finite resources.

Andrew MacKendrick, a spokesman for the federal health minister, said the federal government is committed to helping.

"The COVID situation across the country varies, and so would the additional supports required," he said.

"Our officials will continue their conversations and stand ready to assist in co-ordinating as much support as can be provided to align with the support that the province or territory needs."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 13, 2021.

Mickey Djuric, The Canadian Press

Uber drivers, gig workers pressure Ontario government for employee status .
People who drive or deliver for app platforms in Ontario such as Uber, Lyft and Skip the Dishes are calling on Premier Doug Ford's government to grant them basic workers' rights by classifying them as employees. It's an issue that directly affects hundreds of thousands of people who work in the province's gig economy, and could have implications for all workers across Ontario and in other provinces.

usr: 0
This is interesting!