Canada Manitoba grand chief says $85.5M settlement for flood damage is fair
Former CFL player Obby Khan seeks Tory nomination for Manitoba byelection
WINNIPEG — A former Canadian Football League player is seeking a seat in the Manitoba legislature. Obby Khan, who played for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and owns six restaurants, is running for the Progressive Conservative nomination in Winnipeg's Fort Whyte constituency. The seat is a Tory stronghold and was held by former premier Brian Pallister until he retired in the fall. Before Pallister, it was held by former party leader Hugh McFadyen. A date has not been set for the byelection or for the Tory nomination vote. Under provincial law, the byelection must be held before the end of March.
WINNIPEG — The grand chief of the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs says the latest court settlement for property owners affected by devastating flooding more than a decade ago is fair.
The Manitoba government diverted water from the Assiniboine River to reduce the risk of flooding in Winnipeg in 2011, but the water built up and caused damage on the shores of Lake Manitoba.
Last week, courts approved an $85.5 million settlement agreement for anyone who had businesses or owned personal property like cabins — excluding First Nation reserves — that was flooded.
The courts approved a separate $90-million payout three years ago for members of four First Nations that were flooded out.
101 year old Saskatchewan Métis veteran remembered for enduring legacy
Louis Roy, who died Tuesday at a long-term care home in northern Saskatchewan, was one of the oldest veterans of the Second World War. A 101-year-old Métis veteran is being remembered for his powerful legacy, quiet strength and infinite kindness. Louis Roy died Tuesday at a long-term care home in the northern Saskatchewan village of Ile-a-la-Crosse. He was one of the oldest vet “He was just this wealth of knowledge to me,” said Glenda Burnouf, his granddaughter, from Turtleford, Sask. “I always thought, ‘My grandpa, there's nothing he couldn't do.
Video: Abbotsford's Clayburn residents take proactive measures to protect themselves against flooding (Global News)
Some communities were unable to ever return.
Grand Chief Arlen Dumas says the province must pay for what he called its negligence, and adds the effects of the flooding are still being felt.
Dumas is urging the province to hold talks with Indigenous communities to speed up construction of outlet channels to prevent future flooding.
The Canadian Press
First Nation in Manitoba says province, logging company failed to consult .
WINNIPEG — A First Nation in Manitoba says it has not been properly included in sustainable forest management practices and is asking for a judicial review into commercial logging in a provincial park. Minegoziibe Anishinabe, also known as Pine Creek First Nation, is asking Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench to quash the government's decision to extend a timber-cutting licence to Louisiana-Pacific Canada. "Manitoba did not consult with Pine Creek before authorizing Louisiana-Pacific to continue logging in the Duck Mountain Park forest and surrounding areas," said Jeremy McKay, a policy analyst for the community. The U.S.