Canada Government's decision not to review lithium company takeover a 'mistake': expert
Fortin's fight for reinstatement gets shot in the arm following Appeal Court decision
OTTAWA — Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin's battle for reinstatement as head of Canada's COVID-19 vaccine distribution campaign can go on now that the Federal Court of Appeal has agreed to consider his case. Government lawyers had asked the Appeal Court to quash Fortin’s case after the senior military officer’s legal team appealed a Federal Court ruling in October that rejected his request for reinstatement to the vaccine rollout effort, or a similar position.
OTTAWA — An intelligence expert said the federal government's decision not to conduct a formal national security review on the takeover of a Canadian lithium mining company by a Chinese state-owned company was a "mistake."
The government misjudged the takeover's significance to Canada's economic and national security both in the present and future, said Wesley Wark, a visiting professor at the University of Ottawa who specializes in international affairs and intelligence gathering.
"The kinds of explanations that have been offered by the government to date I find wholly unsatisfactory and very narrowly focused," he told a House of Commons committee Wednesday.
Tories urged to reconsider compromise on documents about fired scientists
OTTAWA — Government House leader Mark Holland is urging the Conservatives to reconsider their rejection of a compromise proposal that would allow MPs to finally see unredacted documents related to the firing of two scientists at Canada's highest-security laboratory. In a letter Tuesday to his Conservative counterpart, Gerard Deltell, Holland reiterates his proposal to allow a special all-party, security-cleared committee to review all the documents, aided by three former senior judges who would decide whether or how any disputed material could be released publicly without jeopardizing national security.
Wark delivered his remarks at the first of two Commons committee meetings to explore the takeover of Neo Lithium Corp. by China's Zijin Mining Group Ltd. and whether a formal national security review should have occurred.
Liberal MP Andy Fillmore, parliamentary secretary to Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, told the committee last week that the Industry Department reviewed the proposed takeover last fall.
The department concluded that Neo Lithium is "really not a Canadian company," Fillmore said, describing it as an Argentine company with directors in the United Kingdom and only three Canadian employees "on paper."
Video: Ottawa extends CEBA repayment deadline for small businesses (Global News)
Wark noted that the government had the option to extend the review by an additional 45 days, which it did not take.
National Board Of Review Sets New Date For Postponed Annual Gala – Updated
UPDATED, 12:39 PM: The National Board of Review has set a March 15 date in New York City for its postponed annual Gala, which had been set for January 11. PREVIOUSLY, December 23: The National Board of Review said today that it has postponed its annual Gala, which was set for January 11 in New York City.
"To be honest, I'm dumbfounded by the fact that the government was so confident about its conclusions within that 45-day period from the original announcement of the acquisition in October through to early December that it felt it didn't even have to do any more," said Wark.
He said he believes the postelection political transition period had an impact on the attention the case should have been given.
While the decision "cannot be undone," it offers important lessons for similar reviews in the future, such as considering economic strategy in the review, and performing these reviews more often, Wark said.
He also said in fairness to officials involved, reviews of investments like these are resource-intensive and highly complex.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 26, 2022.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.
Erika Ibrahim, The Canadian Press
Lithium mine takeover by Chinese company did get thorough security review: Champagne .
OTTAWA — Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne says the pending takeover of a Canadian lithium mining company by a Chinese state-owned company was subjected to a thorough national security review — contrary to what some experts and Conservative politicians have asserted. Champagne told the Commons industry committee Thursday that the critics don't understand the process required under the Investment Canada Act for reviewing all foreign investments. That review is led by the Industry Department and national security and intelligence agencies and includes multiple other federal departments, as well as consultation with Canada's allies, he said.