•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Sheldon Kennedy calls for resignation of Hockey Canada CEO: ‘Enough is enough’

02:21  27 july  2022
02:21  27 july  2022 Source:   globalnews.ca

Hockey Canada says it will no longer use reserve fund to settle sexual assault claims

  Hockey Canada says it will no longer use reserve fund to settle sexual assault claims Hockey Canada says it will no longer use a fund maintained by membership fees collected across the country to settle sexual assault claims. The national federation has been under intense scrutiny since May when it emerged the organization quietly settled a lawsuit filed by a woman who alleges she was assaulted while intoxicated by eight unnamed players, including members of the country's 2018 world junior team, following a gala event in London, Ont., four years ago. Hockey Canada's so-called "National Equity Fund" came to light this week as it continues to deal with the fallout from its handling of the alleged assault and subsequent out-of-court settlement.

Former professional ice hockey player Sheldon Kennedy is calling for Hockey Canada CEO Scott Smith, his leadership team and the board of directors to resign immediately, according to a statement released Tuesday.

Former NHL player and child advocate Sheldon Kennedy speaks during a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, on the issue of child abuse and its impact on children in Canada, on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018. © THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang Former NHL player and child advocate Sheldon Kennedy speaks during a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, on the issue of child abuse and its impact on children in Canada, on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018.

"Giving my 26 years of advocating for victims, I can't sit idle any longer," Kennedy said in his statement post on Twitter.

Read more:

Hockey Canada releases plan to tackle ‘toxic’ behaviour ahead of hearings

Timeline: Hockey Canada's handling of 2018 sexual assault allegation

  Timeline: Hockey Canada's handling of 2018 sexual assault allegation A timeline of Hockey Canada's response to an alleged sexual assault involving eight players in London, Ont., in 2018: Jan. 5, 2018 — Canada's world junior hockey team defeats Sweden in the gold-medal final in Buffalo, N.Y. June 18, 2018 — Hockey Canada Foundation Gala & Golf event begins in London. June 19, 2018 — A woman's stepfather informs Hockey Canada she alleges she was sexually assaulted by eight players, including members of the world junior team, while intoxicated the previous night following the event. Hockey Canada says it spoke with its insurance provider and then informed London police, which opened an investigation.

Kennedy's statement comes after Hockey Canada announced a plan to combat any “toxic” behaviour in hockey.

The plan was announced a day before the start of the second round of parliamentary hearings into the organization’s handling of an alleged sexual assault incident complaint.

In his statement, Kennedy wrote that expecting different results from "the same people with a new plan" is "the definition of insanity."

"Enough is enough already," he wrote.

Video: Child abuse victim advocate Sheldon Kennedy

In 1996, Kennedy disclosed that he was sexually abused by his coach Graham James during his time in the Western Hockey League between 1984 and 1990.

Since then, Kennedy has been an advocate for sexual abuse survivors in sports, especially in the hockey sector.

James was sentenced to three and a half years in prison in 1997 and the Canadian Hockey Association banned him for life from coaching. After his sentence had expired, James faced more sexual assault charges in 2015 while serving his five-year sentence for abusing former NHL player Theo Fleury.

More to come.

— with files from The Canadian Press

Sexual violence is deeply rooted in Canadian sports, experts say. What’s the fix? .
Gender-based violence experts said a systemic solution is needed from leadership if Hockey Canada truly wants to reform the violent culture in sports.In May, TSN reported that Hockey Canada had settled an alleged sexual assault lawsuit involving eight members of the 2018 World Juniors championship team.

usr: 0
This is interesting!