•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Concordia issues public safety alert after reports of drugging and sexual assault

17:52  14 november  2017
17:52  14 november  2017 Source:   cbc.ca

Sarnia-area plant evacuated after chemical leak

  Sarnia-area plant evacuated after chemical leak Sarnia-area plant evacuated after chemical leakStaff at the Nova Chemicals site in Corunna, south of Sarnia, were told to evacuate at about 4:45 p.m., the plant source, who asked not to be identified for fear of reprisal, told the Star and Global News. An alert issued by the nearby First Nations community of Aamjiwnaang stated the chemical spilled was hydrogen sulphide.

READ MORE: Concordia University issues public safety alert after sex assault , drugging reports . “I’m sick of having my issues [swept] under the rug [for] other people’s mental health, or professors’ jobs [or] so READ MORE: Concordia and McGill react to Quebec’s new campus sexual assault bill.

Concordia University is warning students and staff to be vigilant about unsolicited social media invitations and has issued a public safety alert . These invitations allegedly resulted in drugging and sexual assault .

Concordia issues public safety alert after reports of drugging and sexual assault© Radio-Canada Concordia issues public safety alert after reports of drugging and sexual assault

Montreal's Concordia University sent out a public safety alert to students Monday evening after two students reported being lured off-campus by job interview offers on Instagram, then drugged and sexually assaulted.

The university says Montreal police are investigating the incidents, and the school is warning students to be wary on all social media platforms.

University spokesperson Mary-Jo Barr said the first incident took place in the winter and the second in September, but that the school was made aware of them last week after the women filed complaints to police.

Retired York police officer who pleaded guilty to child sex offences gets two years in prison

  Retired York police officer who pleaded guilty to child sex offences gets two years in prison A retired York Regional Police officer was sentenced to two years in prison on Friday. Donald Clark, 67, pled guilty last week to one count of sexual exploitation and sexual interference, both charges related to the sexual abuse of children.Clark was a York police officer between 1974 and 2006, and had a part-time role driving York police vehicles to garages for repairs from 2007 until his arrest in Nov. 2015.“York Regional Police will not tolerate the victimization of members of our community,” said York police Chief Eric Jolliffe in a press release Friday.“Our investigation and charges laid against Mr.

Montreal’s Concordia University sent out a public safety alert on November 13 warning students about unsolicited social media invitations used to lure individuals off campus. The invitations promise “professional development opportunities” but have resulted in reported drugging and sexual assault

Global's Billy Shields reports . X. - a a. READ MORE: Concordia and McGill react to Quebec’s new campus sexual assault bill. Once arriving at a meeting off campus, they were allegedly drugged and sexually assaulted .

She said the university sent the alert as soon as it was able to confirm the reports and get the students' permission to go public.

The warning came in the form of a public safety alert emailed to students and staff.

  • Read Concordia University's public safety alert on its website

"The university is cautioning students to be extra vigilant when responding to unsolicited social media offers," said the email, signed by Concordia's deputy provost, Lisa Ostiguy and services vice-president Roger Côté.

Anyone with information or in need of help is asked to contact the school's Sexual Assault Resource Centre at 514-848-2424, ext. 3353, or its Security Department at 514-848-3717, option 1.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind students that Concordia has a zero tolerance for sexual violence of any kind," the email added.

"We are committed to creating and maintaining an environment that is safe for all."

  • Quebec to invest $23M for new 'zero-tolerance' campus sexual assault policy

Ottawa support worker charged with sexual assault granted bail .
An Ottawa-area personal support worker charged with multiple counts of sexual assault and sexual interference was released on bail Monday with strict conditions. The charges follow an investigation by the Ottawa Police Service’s sexual assault and child abuse unit. Timothy Sample, 55, faces three counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual interference. Wearing […]The charges follow an investigation by the Ottawa Police Service’s sexual assault and child abuse unit. Timothy Sample, 55, faces three counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual interference.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!