•   
  •   
  •   

Canada Charge in Abdulbasir Faizi killing brings sorrow, new questions

04:56  12 april  2018
04:56  12 april  2018 Source:   thestar.com

RCMP say multiple factors under consideration in Broncos' team bus crash

  RCMP say multiple factors under consideration in Broncos' team bus crash As news on the extent of Friday night’s Humboldt Broncos crash spread, the question remains about the cause of the collision that killed 15 players of the small-town hockey team, and injured several others. RCMP have released few details, saying that traffic analysts continue to investigate potential causes, including road, weather, mechanical and driver conditions. "This is a very involved investigation and, due to the large amount of evidence, information, and the number of victims, this work will take some time," RCMP Saskatchewan Assistant Commissioner Curtis Zablocki told reporters on Saturday afternoon.

“Seeing day in and day out, members of your community allegedly killed in such a fashion is deeply emotional and unsettling,” Rahim told the Star shortly after police announced McArthur’s seventh murder charge for the killing of Abdulbasir Faizi .

The landscaper has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi . Police also released new photos of an unknown man they are trying to identify. Police believe he was killed in April 2016. Police previously seized planters from houses McArthur worked at from around Toronto

Bruce McArthur is now facing a seventh murder charge. The prosecution says the 66-year-old landscaper faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi.© Provided by Toronto Star Bruce McArthur is now facing a seventh murder charge. The prosecution says the 66-year-old landscaper faces a first-degree murder charge in the death of Abdulbasir Faizi.

Sitting in a coffee shop at the heart of Toronto’s Gay Village, a half-hour after Toronto police concluded their latest press conference on the Bruce McArthur case, Shakir Rahim was pained.

“Seeing day in and day out, members of your community allegedly killed in such a fashion is deeply emotional and unsettling,” Rahim told the Star shortly after police announced McArthur’s seventh murder charge for the killing of Abdulbasir Faizi.

Preliminary hearing to begin for N.S. police chief charged with sexual assault

  Preliminary hearing to begin for N.S. police chief charged with sexual assault John Collyer is facing one charge of sexual assault and two charges of sexual exploitation and has been placed on administrative leave from the Bridgewater Police Force.A preliminary hearing is set to begin today for a Nova Scotia police chief facing sex charges involving a 17-year-old girl.

Charge in Abdulbasir Faizi killing brings sorrow . Lead investigator, Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga, told a media conference later in the day police are of the view that Faizi knew McArthur before the night he vanished.

Charge relates to the death of Abdulbasir Faizi , who disappeared more than seven years ago, Crown lawyer says. Officers brought the landscaper in for questioning in 2013, although he was not considered a suspect.

Faizi was last of three subjects of Project Houston, a shuttered missing persons task force, to be named as a murder victim. All three were men of colour. All three police now believe were killed by the same man.

Read more:

Bruce McArthur charged with seventh murder; police to search dozens of properties and examine 15 cold cases

Key dates in the investigation into alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

Toronto police to provide update on alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur

Faizi’s last debit card transaction reportedly came on Dec. 28, 2010, across the street from this Second Cup, near Church and Wellesley Sts. Many of the café’s patrons say they knew either McArthur or his alleged victims.

Selim Esen, another alleged victim, applied for a job there before he went missing. He never showed up for his interview.

The Bruce McArthur serial murder case: By the numbers

  The Bruce McArthur serial murder case: By the numbers Between tips, cold cases and the charges against the 66-year-old, the already sprawling investigation into the retired landscaper continues to grow. Here's a look at the case by the numbers. That news was the first update by Toronto police since March, when lead investigator Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga took the rare step of releasing a photo of an unidentified deceased man, believed to be one of McArthur's victims.

Charge in Abdulbasir Faizi killing brings sorrow , new questions . Here are 10 questions breaking down what we know and don’t know about the investigation to date. 1. How many people is Bruce McArthur accused of killing ?

Abdulbasir Faizi . The new charge is the latest against the self-employed landscaper, who is accused of burying his victims on properties where he worked. "Today Mr. McArthur was brought back before the courts.

“It really breaks your heart,” Rahim said of the new charge. “And part of it is because you see yourself.”

Rahim is a board member for the Alliance for South Asian AIDS Prevention, who have been actively involved with questioning what happened during that early task force and the investigation at large. A statement from the group questioned whether adequate resources and efforts were put into the men’s disappearances, “despite the initial public outcry, outreach and demand for an investigation.”

“What did investigators think about why these men went missing, or what rationale there was?” Rahim asked on Wednesday. “Did they think they went back to the countries they were from?”

Faizi’s life was complicated: He had a wife and children who appeared to know nothing about the time he spent in the Gay Village before his disappearance.

There are many lingering questions over how police handled the Faizi case, Rahim said. “There are hard questions that have to be asked, about how you deal with individuals who have complex lives,” he said. “And it requires a really high degree of cultural competency, outreach, all of these sorts of things.”

Police identify man in photo linked to Bruce McArthur

  Police identify man in photo linked to Bruce McArthur A man believed to be another victim of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur has been identified after investigators released his photograph and appealed to the public for help, police said Friday. McArthur, a 66-year-old self-employed landscaper, currently faces seven counts of first-degree murder in connection with men who had ties to the city's LGBTQ community.In early March, police released a photograph of a dead man believed to be another one of the McArthur's alleged victims, saying they needed help identifying the bearded middle-aged individual.Det. Sgt.

He has been charged with killing five men between the years 2012-2017. When he disappeared, abandoning a new puppy alone in his apartment, his friends called police. A few months later, Abdulbasir Faizi also went missing.

Toronto police revealed the growing scope of the investigation into alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur on Wednesday, announcing a new murder charge and plans to search 75 properties in the spring. Abdulbasir Faizi went missing in 2010.

The 519 community centre, a LGBTQ-focused facility one block north, offered its “heartfelt condolences” to Faizi’s loved ones in a Facebook post Wednesday. The post included a list of support contacts for the community, from grief counselling to crisis phone lines.

Deidre Olsen, a queer Toronto-based journalist who frequents the village, said Wednesday’s charge brought up the pain of a 2016 Toronto police sting operation at Marie Curtis Park in Etobicoke, where undercover officers sought out men interested in sexual activity, ticketing at least 72.

Olsen said she was jarred by the possibility that McArthur may have met Faizi there at a park near Moore Ave., where his car was found abandoned.

“Queer people are often relegated to these dark spaces,” Olsen said. “Gay men were being over-policed by the police, but at the same time, under-protected.”

Review will examine how Toronto police handle missing persons cases .
The Toronto Police Services Board has struck a small committee with the tall order of examining how missing persons cases are probed by its officers — an independent review commissioned in the wake of the ongoing investigation into alleged serial murderer Bruce McArthur. At a meeting at police headquarters Wednesday, the civilian board approved the members of the committee, which will examine Toronto police practices and conduct related to missing persons investigations, and compile a list of best practices.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
This is interesting!