Entertainment RCMP’s silence about Nova Scotia shooting spree could be to blame for recent leaks: ex-cop
RCMP is losing Indigenous officers — and some former Mounties blame racism in the ranks
Data released by the RCMP to Parliament shows that the force is losing Indigenous officers — a trend which comes as no surprise to retired Mounties and other observers.That was before the now-retired Mountie had to remove an intoxicated passenger from a Greyhound bus parked at a gas station off a highway in Newfoundland and Labrador on her own. The backup she called for, she said, was a long time in coming.
The RCMP’s near-blanket refusal to provide information about its investigation into the shooting spree that terrorized Nova Scotians in April of last year may be to blame for a series of leaks to a Halifax magazine, policing experts told Global News.
The most recent leak, which Frank Magazine published on June 8 and has attributed to an unnamed source, includes surveillance video and photos from the gas station where gunman Gabriel Wortman was shot and killed by police, and what appears to be portions of the gunman’s autopsy report.
RCMP’s silence about Nova Scotia shooting spree could be to blame for recent leaks: ex-cop
RCMP's silence around the Nova Scotia shooting investigation could explain why someone decided to leak sensitive information to the media.The most recent leak, which Frank Magazine published on June 8 and has attributed to an unnamed source, includes surveillance video and photos from the gas station where gunman Gabriel Wortman was shot and killed by police, and what appears to be portions of the gunman’s autopsy report.
A first leak came on June 2 when Frank Magazine published audio recordings of 911 calls made by victims the night the killing spree began.
Two experts, including a former senior RCMP officer, told Global News these kinds of leaks most often occur when individual police officers don’t trust the institutions they work for to tell the truth. Leaking this information, they said, is a way of ensuring accountability and transparency.
“It’s disheartening,” said Garry Clement, a former director of the RCMP’s proceeds of crime unit.
Based on the type of information leaked, Clement says the source is likely a current RCMP officer or someone working closely with the RCMP on its investigation.
Cape Breton surgeon takes on new role
Dr. Don Brien is the eastern zone's new medical executive director.Dr. Don Brien has been working on the surgical team at the Cape Breton Regional Hospital in Sydney since 1998.
“Most police officers that finally leak something to the media, it's because they feel, rightly or wrongly, that that information is not going to be forthcoming to the public,” Clement said.
Darryl Davies, a criminology instructor at Carleton University in Ottawa, said the RCMP is feeding into public distrust by refusing to answer questions or to offer new details about its investigation.
“(The RCMP) talk about being transparent and open, but they're not,” Davies said. “They’re just the antithesis of that.”
The RCMP declined an interview request for this story.
In a written statement, the force said it is investigating the source of the leaked 911 audio and any offences that may have occurred with its “unauthorized release, possession and subsequent publishing.”
Cpl. Lisa Croteau, a spokesperson for the RCMP, initially told Global News she was unaware of any investigation into the leaked surveillance video, crime scene photos and autopsy report.
Legal expert says RCMP should replace husbands of top officers on public inquiry team
The inquiry will examine the actions of the RCMP and other police services on the weekend of the shootings.The two men — Mike Butcher and Chief Supt. John Robin — are married to RCMP Assistant Commissioner Lee Bergerman and Chief Supt. Janis Gray, respectively.
In a followup email, Croteau said the force is investigating the leak, but won't provide any more information because of the ongoing public inquiry into the killing spree and the proposed class-action lawsuit launched by victims' family members.
Frank Magazine published two surveillance videos from a gas station in Enfield, N.S., that show the moments leading up to and after Wortman’s death. Wortman was shot and killed while sitting inside a vehicle he stole from his last victim on the morning of April 19.
The videos show two officers in full tactical gear exiting their vehicle at the gas station immediately after it stops.
One of the officers, who was driving the vehicle and was located closest to Wortman, is seen opening his door, drawing his pistol, and then pointing it toward Wortman’s car within seconds of stopping their vehicle. A few seconds later, both officers open fire when Wortman appears to reach for something in the front passenger seat of his car.
'It acknowledges our place': RCMP explores allowing ribbon skirt as part of ceremonial uniform
After 10-year-old Saskatchewan girl Isabella Kulak started a movement of ribbon skirt wearing, she was made an honorary member of the Indigenous women advisory committee.The RCMP review of the cultural garment is one of many changes sparked, in part, by 10-year-old Isabella Kulak, a member of Cote First Nation, who was the catalyst for a national ribbon skirt wearing movement.
Video: B.C. man describes trying to move to Nova Scotia (Global News)
Frank Magazine also published audio recordings of 911 calls made by victims of the shooting spree.
The recordings make it clear that 911 operators were told the gunman was driving a police vehicle when he went from house to house in Portapique killing his neighbours and lighting homes on fire. At least two of the callers identified the gunman, either by name or by indicating his profession.
This information is consistent with what court documents say a witness told police shortly after they arrived on scene in Portapique at 10:26 p.m. on April 18.
Davies said the RCMP’s decision to remain silent about what it knew -- and when it knew it -- about the gunman has caused significant reputational damage to the force and led people to distrust what it says.
“What it smacks of is, basically, protecting the herd,” Davies said.
Despite multiple witness statements describing the suspect’s vehicle as a “police” car the night the killing spree began, the RCMP didn’t tell the public about this vehicle until nearly 12 hours after its investigation started.
The gunman killed 13 people in Portapique, between approximately 9:30 and 10:45 p.m. on April 18. He murdered nine more people on April 19.
Mandryk: Constable's death should be a reality check for us all
Brock Myrol was just 21 days into his career as an RCMP constable. He was supposed to be handing out ice cream the next day at a community function in Mayerthorpe, Alta. This, too, is what being an RCMP officer is about. His mother Colleen recalls that Brock used to say, “I want to be part of something bigger than myself.” Being in the RCMP was being part of something bigger for Myrol, but so was being part of the small town where he was initially assigned 16 years ago. Just 21 days into his career on March 3, 2005, the 29-year-old, who was born in Outlook, Sask.
Global News has reported that the RCMP said it was operating under the assumption that the gunman owned three decommissioned police vehicles and that all of them were located by police on the night of April 18.
The RCMP also said that on the night the killing spree began, they believed the gunman may have died by suicide and that his remains might have been inside one of the properties he burned in Portapique.
Police said it wasn’t until the gunman’s common-law partner told them at 6:30 a.m. on April 19 about a fourth, unlicensed police cruiser -- complete with lights, sirens and insignia -- that the RCMP decided to notify the public.
It was more than three hours after the time police said they found the gunman’s common-law partner that they sent out a tweet with details about the suspect’s vehicle.
Transcripts of call logs from the Truro Police Department also show that the RCMP shared details about the suspect’s mock police cruiser with provincial policing partners two hours before this information was shared with the public. The gunman killed at least three people during this time.
Clement said he’s concerned about the leak of confidential 911 tapes. He said it’s especially troubling for the families of the victims.
He also said the public needs to be cautious and avoid jumping to conclusions about Wortman’s death based on surveillance video without knowing all the facts.
Global News has not independently verified the audio recordings and surveillance video, and it’s not clear where they came from. Frank Magazine has not said whether the source, which it’s dubbed “True Blue,” was a police officer.
Class action alleging RCMP abuse of Indigenous people in Northern Canada certified
TORONTO — A lawsuit alleging RCMP systematically brutalized Indigenous people in Northern Canada can proceed as a class action despite objections from the government, Federal Court ruled on Wednesday. In her decision, Judge Glennys McVeigh rejected the government's arguments that the proposed suit failed to meet the legal grounds for certification although individuals could sue on their own, and that the claim had no prospect of success. "IIn her decision, Judge Glennys McVeigh rejected the government's arguments that the proposed suit failed to meet the legal grounds for certification although individuals could sue on their own, and that the claim had no prospect of success.
A report completed by Nova Scotia’s Serious Incident Response Team (SIRT) concluded the officers who shot and killed Wortman were justified.
One of the officers recognized Wortman when they stopped to fill up their vehicle with gas, the report said. He and his partner opened fire after they saw Wortman raise a pistol that he stole from RCMP officer Heidi Stevenson after killing her earlier that morning.
“(The officer) exited the vehicle to begin re-fueling and as he looked across to the adjoining pump he observed a male with a noticeable hematoma and some blood on his forehead,” the SIRT report said. “(The officer) drew his service weapon and alerted (his partner) that the (gunman) was in the vehicle parked next to theirs.”
Felix Cacchione, a former Nova Scotia Supreme Court justice and SIRT’s current director, said the events surrounding Wortman’s death as described in his report are accurate.
“I stand by the report,” Cacchione said. “When you have reviewed the amount of information that I reviewed, I think you would come to the same conclusion.”
Clement, meanwhile, said he thinks the RCMP needs to publicly clarify its position regarding the 911 audio recordings and their contents.
He also thinks the force needs to do everything it can to ensure the public and police officers trust that the RCMP will co-operate fully with the ongoing public inquiry.
The RCMP and federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair have said the force will co-operate fully with the public inquiry.
Nova Scotia premier drops border restrictions that sparked day-long blockade .
HALIFAX — Nova Scotia's premier walked back plans to impose COVID-19-related measures on visitors entering the province from New Brunswick, saying they would be able to come and go without restrictions as of next week. Iain Rankin announced the reversal on Thursday following a day-long protest that shut down the Trans Canada Highway after stricter measures were put in place Tuesday. Rankin said he made the move after New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs provided more information about his province's border measures during a conference call the day before.