•   
  •   
  •   

Entertainment Vance obstruction of justice court case adjourned until next month

20:31  17 september  2021
20:31  17 september  2021 Source:   msn.com

TIMELINE: The Canadian Forces sexual misconduct crisis

  TIMELINE: The Canadian Forces sexual misconduct crisis The Canadian Forces have been facing a reckoning over high-level sexual misconduct allegations first reported on by Global News in February 2021.Experts have described the reckoning facing the military as an institutional crisis and it has sparked a national conversation about the culture and values of the Canadian Forces, exposing longstanding problems in how the military handles sexual misconduct cases and treats women within its ranks.


a close up of Jonathan Vance wearing glasses and looking at the camera: Chief of Defence Staff Jonathan Vance takes part in a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Thursday, April 30, 2020. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says six people were aboard the Canadian Forces helicopter that crashed off Greece during a training exercise. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick © Provided by Global News Chief of Defence Staff Jonathan Vance takes part in a press conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Thursday, April 30, 2020. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says six people were aboard the Canadian Forces helicopter that crashed off Greece during a training exercise. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Retired Gen. Jonathan Vance's obstruction of justice court case is being adjourned until next month.

The former chief of the defence staff did not appear on camera on Friday morning when a representative of his legal team addressed the civilian court for the first time about the charge, which was laid by military police earlier in the summer.

Cinderella Premiere Red Carpet Fashion

  Cinderella Premiere Red Carpet Fashion Cinderella Premiere Red Carpet Fashion

The representative of his legal team requested the case be put over to Oct. 15 at 8:30 a.m. ET, and notified the presiding judge that a judicial pre-trial has been scheduled for Oct. 6 between the Crown and defence lawyers.

READ MORE: Vance will not face military service charges; source cites his four-star rank

Vance stands accused of attempting to obstruct justice in connection with a military police investigation opened into allegations of inappropriate behaviour made against him and first reported by Global News in February.

Military police laid the charge in the civilian court system on July 15 and on Aug. 6, military police closed down a parallel probe into whether Vance violated military code of service rules with the alleged inappropriate relationship, opting not to lay any charges.

When pressed for an explanation, a military police spokesperson pointed to a recent report from former Supreme Court of Canada justice Morris Fish, which warned it was “legally impossible” under the current rules to try someone of Vance’s rank in the military system.

A senior defence source confirmed to Global News the decision to end the investigation without any military code of service charges was specifically tied to Vance’s rank as a four-star general.

COMMENTARY: Military justice system’s impasse over Gen. Jonathan Vance shows urgent need for wall-to-wall reform .
Rank should not be an impediment to responsibility or an escape from accountability, writes retired colonel Michel W. Drapeau. The sexual misconduct crisis in the Canadian military raises deep questions about honour, morality and integrity — as well as discipline in its highest ranks.

usr: 0
This is interesting!