•   
  •   
  •   

Offbeat War between Armenia and Azerbaijan: A second attempt has apparently failed.

10:25  18 october  2020
10:25  18 october  2020 Source:   sueddeutsche.de

Diplomatic efforts to stop the fighting in the struggling Nagorno-Karabakh

 Diplomatic efforts to stop the fighting in the struggling Nagorno-Karabakh © Francisco Seco, AP Pro-Armenian protesters shout Armenian slogans and wave Armenian flags near EU institutions in Brussels, October 7 2020. Discussions are to be held Thursday in Geneva and Monday in Moscow as part of efforts by France, Russia and the United States to try to open negotiations between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the Nagorno-Karabakh. Diplomatic efforts to end the fighting have so far been unsuccessful.

The 2020 Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is an ongoing armed conflict between Azerbaijan , supported by Turkey, and the self-proclaimed Republic of Artsakh, supported by Armenia

Azerbaijan has claimed to have taken territory inside Nagorno-Karabakh, a claim the Armenians dispute Tensions were suppressed when both Armenia and Azerbaijan were Soviet states, but they re-emerged A war between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces ended in a ceasefire in 1994, with

Ceasefire - the two countries already promised this last week. Even so, there were repeated reports of attacks.

Ein aserbaidschanischer Soldat beruhigt einen Mann zwischen den Trümmern eines Hauses, das bei einem Beschuss seitens der armenischen Artillerie zerstört wurde. © dpa An Azerbaijani soldier calms a man between the rubble of a house that was destroyed in a bombardment by the Armenian artillery. A second attempt has apparently failed.

In the conflict over the South Caucasus region of Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenia and Azerbaijan have made another attempt to cease fire. A "humanitarian ceasefire" should come into force on Sunday night. The foreign ministries of both countries announced this on Saturday evening. But this is apparently brittle ready.

First, a spokeswoman for the Armenian Ministry of Defense stated that there had been rocket and artillery fire from the opposing side. The Azerbaijani Ministry of Defense, in turn, later accused Armenia of failing to comply with the ceasefire.

Armenian diaspora in Canada says Ottawa must act to prevent a second genocide

  Armenian diaspora in Canada says Ottawa must act to prevent a second genocide MONTREAL — The ongoing conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan is physically and emotionally distant to most Canadians, but for Montrealer Talar Chichmanian, the war is the second time since the 1990s her family has taken up arms. Her husband left Montreal to join the Armenian forces, who have been battling the Azerbaijani army since Sept. 27 in a war that has left hundreds dead. This is his second war for the same piece of land in the South Caucasus. The previous conflict, which ended in 1994, killed his father, brother and uncle.

The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is an ethnic and territorial conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan over the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, inhabited mostly by ethnic Armenians

Armenia and Azerbaijan - which have already mobilised more soldiers and declared martial law in some areas - blame each other for starting the fighting. There are growing concerns that other countries may get directly involved in the conflict in the strategic Caucasus region. Turkey has already openly

A week ago, both sides agreed on a cease-fire with the mediation of Russia. However, this agreement was also broken shortly after it came into force. Both countries blamed each other.

At the beginning of the weekend there had been new fights with dead and injured. Azerbaijan reported heavy attacks by the Armenian side on Ganja, the country's second largest city. The civil protection ministry in the capital Baku announced that 13 people were killed in the rocket fire.

Armenia also blamed the neighboring country for attacks. Azerbaijan spoke of 50 injured in Ganja. The bodies were found, for example, under the rubble of destroyed houses. Children are said to have been among them. Images distributed by Azerbaijan showed rescue workers looking for survivors in destroyed houses.

Nagorno-Karabakh. The bombings undermine the hopes of a truce

 Nagorno-Karabakh. The bombings undermine the hopes of a truce © AFP / Bulent Kilic Azerbaijani relief workers killed a victim of the bombing in Gandja, the country's second largest city on Sunday, October 11. A ceasefire, negotiated in Moscow by Russia, should have entered into force on Saturday 10 October. But again this Sunday, Armenian separatist forces from Nagorno-Karabakh and the Azerbaijani army accuse each other of continuing the bombing of civilian areas. Still no exchange of prisoners or bodies on this Sunday, October 11.

Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of attacking residential areas as the conflict over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region rages on. Azerbaijan said an Armenian missile had killed at least 13 civilians in Ganja, a city far from the front lines. Armenia meanwhile accused Azerbaijan of

Armenia and Azerbaijan have both accused each other of attacking civilian targets in the latest conflict over the Armenian and Azerbaijani forces exchanged fierce fire for a second day on Monday over the Heavy fighting has continued overnight between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the

The mutual accusations are harboring - and are difficult to verify.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev called the attack a war crime on television and threatened that the Armenian leadership would be brought to justice. Armenia, however, rejected a responsibility and in return accused its warring neighbor of being behind the attack.

In the past week, both sides accused each other of violating the ceasefire. However, the information from the conflict region cannot be verified independently. The Azerbaijan military announced that it had shot down an Armenian fighter jet. The Armenian Defense Ministry immediately denied this and declared that it had shot down two drones from the opposing side.

Russia continues to try to mediate.

In the evening, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov urged both sides to abide by the agreement. According to his Ministry in Moscow, he telephoned his colleagues from Azerbaijan and Armenia, Jeyhun Bayramov and Sohrab Mnazakanjan. Lavrov recalled that the ceasefire also served humanitarian reasons. In addition, both sides had declared their readiness for "substantial negotiations" with the aim of reaching a peace settlement as quickly as possible, it said.

Conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh: strike on a residential area of ​​Azerbaijan's second city

 Conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh: strike on a residential area of ​​Azerbaijan's second city © Bulent Kilic, AFP Rescue workers looking for survivors after a bombing in Gandja, Azerbaijan's second city, October 17, 2020 The city of Gandja, in Azerbaijan, was hit by a missile on Saturday, hours after bombings on Stepanakert, the capital of the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh. Washington and Paris insist on the need to reach a ceasefire.

Moscow has said its maneuvers in the Caspian Sea are not a sign that it intends to interfere between the warring nations of Armenia and Azerbaijan . The exercises are taking place in the central waters of the Caspian Sea, to the north of the Azerbaijani capital of Baku, but the Russian Defense Ministry

Armenia and Azerbaijan have said they agreed to a "humanitarian truce" starting at midnight local time. The announcement comes after The foreign ministries of Armenia and Azerbaijan said in a statement on Saturday that they had agreed on a ceasefire, which will begin at midnight local time.

The EU also again called on both sides to comply with the ceasefire. "All attacks on civilians and civil facilities must come to an end," said a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell on Saturday. The European Union regrets the shelling of the Azerbaijani city of Ganja. The Foreign Office in Berlin appealed that both countries must "immediately return to the path to a peaceful and lasting conflict resolution." In addition, the people affected by the conflict should now receive help.

An old conflict with many dead

The two ex-Soviet republics have been fighting for decades for the mountainous region with around 145,000 inhabitants. Nagorno-Karabakh is controlled by Armenia, but under international law it belongs to the Islamic part of Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan lost control of the area in a war that followed the collapse of the Soviet Union some 30 years ago. A fragile ceasefire has existed since 1994. Thousands of people have now fled the mountain region, which is predominantly inhabited by Christian Karabakh Armenians.

The Armenian Defense Ministry said more than 600 soldiers had been killed since the new fighting began on September 27th. Azerbaijan has so far not provided any information on losses in its armed forces. More than 50 civilians were killed in Armenian attacks.

Thousands of Armenians gathered to demand "recognition" of the independence of Nagorno-Karabakh .
© Provided by Le Point "Artsakh is ours", thousands of Armenians - between 15 and 20,000 depending on the organizers, 4,200 according to the police - demanded Sunday at Paris the "recognition" by France and the international community of the independence of Nagorno-Karabakh, scene of violent fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces.

usr: 0
This is interesting!