Sports: Ex-slugger David Ortiz had counted on fans to protect him - PressFrom - Canada
  •   
  •   
  •   

SportsEx-slugger David Ortiz had counted on fans to protect him

03:20  12 june  2019
03:20  12 june  2019 Source:   msn.com

Reports: David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic

Reports: David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic Reports: David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic

BOSTON (AP) — David Ortiz helped his adopted city recover from the Boston Marathon bombings. And now the Red Sox are calling on their fans to The team asked fans to observe a moment of reflection shortly before its game against the Texas Rangers at Fenway Park and posted on the

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was hospitalized following surgery for a gunshot wound after being ambushed by a man in a bar in his He said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son. “He is out of surgery and stable; he is resting,” Leo Ortiz said. “Big Papi will be around

Ex-slugger David Ortiz had counted on fans to protect him© Provided by Canadian Press Enterprises Inc

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Beloved in his hometown, David Ortíz travelled the dangerous streets of Santo Domingo with little or no security, trusting in his fans to protect him.

Big Papi's guard was down even at hotspots like the Dial Bar and Lounge, where the Dominican business and entertainment elite can cross paths with shadier figures in a country where fortunes are often made in drug smuggling and money laundering.

As the former Red Sox slugger lies in intensive care in Boston, recovering from the bullet fired into his back at the Dial on Sunday night, police are investigating what aspect of the national hero's life made him the target of what appeared to be an assassination attempt.

David Ortiz undergoes more surgery in Boston after shooting

David Ortiz undergoes more surgery in Boston after shooting SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering in Boston from a two-hour exploratory surgery after being shot at a bar in his native Dominican Republic. Ortiz spokesman Leo López told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Ortiz is expected to stay in intensive care for at least 48 hours. Ortiz was flown to Boston on Monday in an air ambulance provided by the Red Sox after doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine. López said the 43-year-old athlete's liver was also damaged in Sunday night's shooting.

The Boston Red Sox have sent their best wishes, and an aircraft, to ex - slugger David Ortiz after he was shot in the Dominican Republic. Ortiz further endeared himself to the local fans when he went to the Fenway Park mound after the attacks at the marathon finish line and proclaimed, “This is our

Ortiz had been in stable condition in intensive care at a Santo Domingo hospital after doctors removed his The club asked fans to observe a moment of reflection shortly before playing the Texas Rangers at Fenway Park Ortiz ' s father, Leo, said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son.

Ortíz was so relaxed at the open-air hotspot Sunday that he had his back to the sidewalk as a gunman — a passenger on a motorcycle — got off the bike just before 9 p.m., approached the 43-year-old retired athlete and fired a single shot at close range before escaping.

Enraged fans captured the 25-year-old motorcyclist and beat him bloody before handing him over to police, but the gunman was still at large Tuesday.

Doctors in Santo Domingo removed Ortiz's gallbladder and part of his intestines, and the former ballplayer was then flown to Boston for further treatment Monday night, undergoing two hours of exploratory surgery.

Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, said in a statement that he was "stable, awake and resting comfortably" at Massachusetts General Hospital and was expected to remain there for several days.

Video shows sophisticated attack on ex-slugger David Ortiz

Video shows sophisticated attack on ex-slugger David Ortiz SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Dominican prosecutors say witnesses and security camera footage show that the attempt to kill former Red Sox star David Ortiz was carried out by two men on a motorcycle and two other groups of people in cars, indicating a new level of sophistication in the attack. The details were contained in a court document obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday. Oliver Moisés Mirabal Acosta, who was captured Tuesday night in the town of Mao in the northern Dominican Republic, was driving a grey Hyundai Accent before mounting the bike driven by 25-year-old Eddy Vladimir Feliz García, the document said.

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — David Ortiz left the Dominican Republic on Monday aboard an air ambulance bound for Boston after the former Red Sox slugger affectionately known

David Ortiz remains in intensive care in Boston following second surgery. Ortiz , among the most popular players in Red Sox history, was shot in the back at close range Sunday night as Police Capt. Luis Manuel Pimentel told CNN that authorities intended to question Ortiz , but had not been able to yet.

The motorcyclist, Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia, who had a 2017 arrest for drug possession, was one of several people in custody as of Tuesday afternoon, a law-enforcement official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to release details of the investigation.

A police car carrying Féliz Garcia drove up to a shipping container serving as a makeshift courtroom on Tuesday evening, and sat there for about a half-hour before driving off again. Court officials said the hearing had been delayed because Féliz Garcia's charging documents had not arrived in time. However, they added that he was expected back later.

His lawyer, Deivi Solano, said Féliz Garcia had no idea who he'd picked up and what was about to happen when he stopped to take a fare.

"He didn't know what they were going to do. He's a fan of David's," Solano said. He added that he expected Féliz Garcia would be charged as an accomplice to an attempted murder.

The Latest: 2nd arrest made in shooting of David Ortiz

The Latest: 2nd arrest made in shooting of David Ortiz SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — The latest on the shooting of former Boston Red Sox star David Ortiz in the Dominican Republic (all times local): 10:40 p.m. A spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office in the Dominican Republic says a second person has been arrested in the investigation into the shooting of former Red Sox star David Ortiz. There is no public indication the man is the suspected shooter. Spokeswoman Julieta Tejeda

Ex -Boston slugger David Ortiz shot at Dominican Republic bar. How the judicial system in Dominican Republic Ortiz ' s father, Leo, said he had no idea why someone would have shot at his son. He added that he is pleased with the medical attention Ortiz has received but that he will be transferred

Former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is recovering after being shot in the Dominican Republic, and his old teammates, fans and one-time rivals Ortiz is a beloved figure beyond Boston and not just for his heroics with a bat. He is active with a number of charitable causes in both the United States

Ortíz has a six-bedroom, $6 million home in the wealthy Boston suburb of Weston, Massachusetts, that he shared with his wife and three children but has put the place up for sale. He visits his father and sister in Santo Domingo about six times a year, according to a close friend who spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Ex-slugger David Ortiz had counted on fans to protect him© Provided by Canadian Press Enterprises Inc

Ortíz stayed at his father's apartment and was active on the social scene in the capital, hitting nightspots with a small group of friends that included TV personalities and Dominican reggaeton musicians, whom Ortiz would help by connecting them with established artists in the genre.

Ortíz couldn't avoid running across unsavoury characters on the Santo Domingo social scene but kept his distance once he was warned about their shady backgrounds, the friend said.

"He may have spoken with them, but he didn't know who they were," the friend said. "He really kept away from that world."

Police are investigating, however, whether some brief relationship formed in Santo Domingo set in motion a chain of events that led to the shooting, a second law enforcement official told the AP.

Eduardo Nunez: Dominican players 'embarrassed' by Ortiz shooting

Eduardo Nunez: Dominican players 'embarrassed' by Ortiz shooting Although Eduardo Nunez is happy to hear that his friend and compatriot David Ortiz is expected to make a full recovery, the Boston Red Sox infielder is "embarrassed" by the recent shooting of Big Papi in the Dominican Republic, according to ESPN's Marly Rivera. "Just thinking about the fact that this happened to him in the Dominican Republic, it is unimaginable," Nunez told Rivera on Wednesday. "For us, as Dominican players, it's a very bad image. It is an international shame. "We feel very embarrassed about what happened to him because he is a legend from our homeland, and this happened to him in our homeland.

Dozens of fans crowded the hospital in Santo Domingo where Ortiz was being treated, causing a traffic jam. In the U. S ., fans prayed for his recovery. Ortiz was at the Dial Bar and Lounge in Santo Domingo on Sunday night when a gunman approached from behind and shot him at close range, said

Related: David Ortiz shot in ambush at Dominican Republic bar. Ortiz is one of the most beloved figures in sports history in the Dominican Republic and Dozens of fans crowded the hospital earlier Monday, causing a traffic jam. In the U. S ., fans prayed for his recovery and wished him well, with New

The official declined to provide further details about the type of relationship or other aspects of the rapidly developing investigation.

Ortíz felt completely secure in his hometown, the friend said, with adoring fans greeting him wherever he went.

"He felt protected by the people," the friend said. "He is one of the most loved people in the Dominican Republic. He felt no fear despite the fact that there's street crime here. Even the guys in the dangerous neighbourhoods respected him."

Ortíz flew from Boston to Santo Domingo on May 5 to enrol his teenage son, a promising baseball talent, in one of the island's grueling "academies" for future stars, the friend said. He also wanted to check on his foundation, which sponsors surgery for sick children, and sign a cigar-promotion deal.

On Sunday night, he went out with the reggaeton singer known as El Sujeto and baseball announcer and TV personality Jhoel Lopez to Dial, a bar and cafe that started as an arm of a luxury auto-detailing business across the street.

In recent years, Dial turned from a site where people relaxed as their cars were cleaned to a hotspot where Dominican celebrities eat and drink, often alongside people with fortunes of dubious origin.

Dial sits in a wealthy and relatively safe section of Santo Domingo, but the Dominican Republic is one of the world's most dangerous countries.

David Ortiz back in Boston after being shot in Dominican bar

David Ortiz back in Boston after being shot in Dominican bar David Ortiz back in Boston after being shot in Dominican bar

A link has been sent to your friend' s email address. Comments. This conversation is moderated according to USA TODAY' s community rules. Please read the rules before joining the discussion.

David Ortiz ShootingFormer Red Sox player David Ortiz , affectionately known as Big Papi Ortiz has undergone surgery for his injuries. SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Doctors removed David Ortiz ’ s gallbladder and part of his intestine after the beloved former Boston Red Sox slugger

The murder rate stands at 12.5 killings per 100,000 people, placing the Dominican Republic in the top 10 to 15% of the most violent countries in the world, according to the U.S. State Department.

There were 1,353 reported killings in 2018, compared with 1,561 in 2017 and 1,616 in 2016, the department said.

Last year, 2,145 people were wounded with guns, a slight decrease from 2017, according to the Dominican Republic's Citizen Security Observatory.

An OSAC report said the Dominican Republic also faces serious problems with drug trafficking and money laundering, adding: "This situation is worse due to a lack of law enforcement resources, poorly paid and trained police officers and rampant corruption."

This year, the government increased the maximum penalty to 40 years for those found guilty of kidnapping someone while brandishing an illegal weapon or killing someone while committing another crime.

___

Associated Press writers Danica Coto in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Jimmy Golen in Boston contributed to this story.

Michael Weissenstein And MartíN José Adames AlcáNtara, The Associated Press

DR officials identify man believed to have paid Ortiz hitmen.
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Dominican authorities on Monday identified the man they believe paid hit men to try and kill David Ortiz, adding that they were closing in on the mastermind and motive behind the shooting of the famous slugger who is recovering at a hospital in Boston. The man was identified as Alberto Miguel Rodríguez Mota, whom authorities say is a fugitive. The announcement was made as a judge held a hearing closed to the public for another suspect nicknamed "Bone.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!