Quebecers lead Canada to second straight world junior ringette title
BURNABY, B.C. — Team Canada’s junior ringette team successfully defended its world title after defeating Finland 9-7 in Game 2 of the best-of-three series at the World Ringette Championships on Sunday. Gatineau’s Sara Plouffe posted a hat-trick, while Blainville’s Mégane Fortin had two goals and an assist. Moncton’s Britney Snowdon, Emily Power of Mississauga, Ont., Notre-Dame-de-L’Île-Perrot’s Ariane Sagala and Maddie MacLean of St. Jacobs, Ont., also scored for Canada. Gatineau blue-liner Julie Vandal was named player of the game for Canada, Moncton’s Britney Snowdon earned event MVP honours and Fortin was named MVP for the junior pool.
Hockey Canada is the national governing body for hockey in Canada , working with its 13 member branches and local minor hockey associations to 31 players have earned an invitation to Canada ’s National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp . The women’s game was in the spotlight Oct.
Отмена. Месяц бесплатно. WJC Team Canada Selection Camp 2011 Day 3. OpenIceHockey. Day 3's recap of Canada 's WJC selection camp .
Thirty-one players converged in Oakville, Ont., Monday for the first day of Canada’s WJC Selection Camp. The camp will run from Monday through Thursday and roster cuts will be made along the way.
Here’s a few notes and observations from the first day:
1. Thanks U: A big thank you to the USports All-Stars who will compete against the world junior hopefuls this week. Head coach Gardiner MacDougall gave me the opportunity to speak to the USports All-Stars in preparation for the two-game series. MacDougall, along with assistant coaches Brett Gibson (Queen’s), Todd Johnson (Regina) and Clarke Singer (Western), are dead serious about competing in this event. And that’s a good thing for all of their players and especially for Hockey Canada to make a true evaluation of its players.
Lafreniere headlines Canada’s world junior selection camp roster
Projected No.1 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft, Alexis Lafreniere, headlines the list of 31 players who have been invited to Canada’s selection camp for the upcoming world junior championship. The post Ibaka talks mentoring young Raptors and impressive bench depth appeared first on Sportsnet.ca.Canada revealed the 31-player contingent that will vie for spots on the team’s under-20 roster at the camp in Oakville, Ont., from Dec. 9 to 12.
Day 2 - OpenIceHockey at Team Canada 's World Junior selection camp at the MasterCard Centre in Toronto.
Team Canada is expected to announce its WJC selection camp invite list on or around Dec. 4, so Sportsnet's Sam Cosentino projects who will make it In the meantime, Hockey Canada has compiled scouting reports on players dating back to their U-16 regional experience, through the U-17 and U-18
2. Mighty Joe: The Detroit Red Wings released Joe Veleno to play for Canada. He is currently on a western swing with the Grand Rapids Griffins and will join the team at some point next week in the Czech Republic.
3. No Q and A: Quinton Byfield had travel issues and did not make it for the start of practice. Meanwhile, Alexis Lafreniere was given a maintenance day after earning QMJHL Player of the Week honours. Lafreniere missed both CIBC Canada-Russia games with a lower body injury back in early November. Lafreniere leads the CHL with 70 points through 32 games played with Rimouski.
4. Experience Between the pipes: Olivier Rodrigue has the most Program of Excellence experience of any of the four goaltenders, having played in the 2016 Youth Olympic Games, the 2016 U17s, the 2017 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and the 2018 World U18 Championships. All told he’s played 16 international games. Hunter Jones is next with two international games at the 2016 U17s. Joel Hofer and Nico Daws have never participated in the program.
Red Wings prospect Joe Veleno set to join Canada's world junior team
OAKVILLE, Ont. — Joe Veleno's path has been a long one. From being the first player from Quebec granted exceptional status, to struggling early on in junior, to battling through adversity to find his game before making his professional debut this season, the centre has already seen a lot in his 19 years. Now he'll be counted on to help lead Canada — both on the ice and in the locker room — at the 2020 world junior hockey championship. HockeyFrom being the first player from Quebec granted exceptional status, to struggling early on in junior, to battling through adversity to find his game before making his professional debut this season, the centre has already seen a lot in his 19 years.
Team Canada announced its WJC selection camp roster Wednesday. (Ryan Remiorz/CP). On Wednesday, Hockey Canada announced the 32 players invited to the WJC selection camp , which will take place GOALIES Michael DiPietro, Windsor, OHL Carter Hart, Everett, WHL Samuel Harvey
Get the full Team Canada roster for the 2018 Sport Chek World Junior Showcase in Kamloops 2019 WJC : RUS 2 – CAN 1 (Preliminary). Glass scored early, but Canada came up one short in its prelim 2019 WJC : CAN 5 – CZE 1 (Preliminary). Five different players scored to keep Canada perfect in the
5. Three’s Company: Whenever the tournament is overseas, Canada brings three goalies.
6. Zary In: Kamloops Blazer Connor Zary was called upon to replace the injured Jakob Pelletier. Zary is sixth in WHL scoring with 19 goals and 22 assists for 41 points. Pelletier was injured in Moncton’s game in Victoriaville on Thursday, Dec. 5.
7. Let Youth Serve: With the addition of Zary, there are now eight first-year draft eligible players on the selection camp roster. In the previous five years, a combined total of six first year draft eligible players earned camp invites.
8. Dudas in Question: Aiden Dudas injured his left arm in Owen Sound’s game at Kitchener on Nov. 29. He was scheduled for a check-up Monday and was put through the paces before practice by his Owen Sound coach Al Letang, who is also a WJC assistant. He does have a modified protective sheath that he can play with if given the green light. The sheath frees up the first two fingers on his left hand to allow him to grip the stick.
Toronto Maple Leafs loan Rasmus Sandin to compete in 2020 World Juniors Championship for Team Sweden
The 19-year-old defenseman played in six games for the Maple Leafs in 2019-20.The rookie blueliner has appeared in six games for the Leafs this season, tallying just two assists. His last game at the NHL level was a 5-2 win against the Detroit Red Wings on Oct. 12, where he recorded a single assist on 15 shifts.
As far as Canada ’s team is concerned, there are a few issues surrounding the final selection camp roster. First , there are three eligible players currently plying their trade in the NHL. Robert Thomas (St. Louis Blues) is starting to see more ice time, Max Comtois (Anaheim Ducks) is on a conditioning
+ - Schedule. Roster. Goalie Camp Notes . HOCKEY CANADA . 2019 WJC : CAN 5 – CZE 1 (Preliminary). Five different players scored to keep Canada perfect in the prelims.
9. Pros or Nos?: Mark Hunter and Hockey Canada President Tom Renney have split the duties to chase down NHL GMs in terms of player availability. Here’s a list of the players available, their NHL team, and the GM of that team, through NHL games of Sunday night:
Noah Dobson, NY Islanders
8GP | 0G | 2A | 14:02 ATOI
GM: Lou Lamoriello
Last Game Played: Dec. 9
Barret Hayton, Arizona Coyotes
14GP | 1G | 3A | 11:08 ATOI
GM: John Chayka
Last Game Played: Nov. 29
Kirby Dach, Chicago Blackhawks
24GP | 5G | 5A | 11:59 ATOI
GM: Stan Bowman
Last game played: Dec. 8
10. Freeze Time: Keep in mind, NHL rosters are frozen on Dec. 19 and if a player is not released before the deadline, he will not be eligible for the WJC.
11. Making the Cut: Hockey Canada head scout Brad McEwen says he expects the team to be picked after Thursday’s game and doesn’t anticipate bringing players overseas who would be cut and sent back.
Steelers' Kelly faces charges after police called to bar .
Pittsburgh Steelers reserve safety Kameron Kelly is facing multiple charges following an alleged altercation with police at a bar on Friday morning. The 23-year-old Kelly was charged with two counts of making terroristic threats and one count of resisting arrest after authorities said he became combative after refusing to leave Mario's South Side Saloon. According to the criminal complaint, police were called to the bar after an employee reported Kelly for becoming disorderly. Police say the employee told them Kelly had threatened to punch him for skipping Kelly's selection on the jukebox.