Sports Coroner finds organizational problems in death of 24-year-old during Montreal marathon

07:10  30 june  2020
07:10  30 june  2020 Source:   msn.com

Emergency response poorly coordinated in Montreal Marathon death: coroner

  Emergency response poorly coordinated in Montreal Marathon death: coroner The city, police and organizers of the Montreal Marathon need to better coordinate emergency procedures, a Quebec coroner says in a report on the death of 24-year-old runner Patrick Neely on Sept. 22. The engineer from Beaconsfield, who suffered from congenital heart disease, died after collapsing during the half-marathon in the International Oasis Rock ‘N’ Roll Montreal Marathon. Paramedics arrived at 10:03 a.m., about nine minutes after a first call from a police officer who tended to Neely after he collapsed on the last kilometre from the finish line, coroner Géhane Kamel says.

MONTREAL -- A Quebec coroner says the quick use of a defibrillator could have helped save the life of a 24 - year - old Beaconsfield man who ran in Coroner Géhane Kamel said in her seven-page report it was only by chance that Neely got the help he did when he collapsed during the last kilometre of

MONTREAL - The death of a participant in a Montreal marathon event on Sunday is raising questions about whether it took too long to get him help. Quebec's coroner 's office confirms that 24 - year - old half- marathon participant Patrick Neely died during the International Oasis Rock 'N' Roll Montreal

a group of people racing each other © Provided by The Canadian Press

MONTREAL — A Quebec coroner who looked into the death last year of a 24-year-old runner in a Montreal half-marathon is raising several issues with communication and organization at the event.

Patrick Neely died last Sept. 22 after collapsing just before the finish line at the race, part of the International Oasis Rock 'N' Roll Montreal Marathon.

The report Monday noted numerous shortcomings — a serious lack of volunteers, a lengthy delay of nearly 10 minutes for paramedics to arrive after police called, and a failure to transport Neely to the hospital best equipped to deal with cardiac arrest patients.

Father of man who died after Montreal Marathon calls for improvements

  Father of man who died after Montreal Marathon calls for improvements The father of Patrick Neely, the 24-year-old runner who collapsed near the end of the half-marathon event at last year’s Montreal Marathon, denounced what he calls the “mind-boggling comedy of errors” revealed in the coroner’s report into his son’s death. “You can’t help but think of gross negligence” upon reading the coroner’s report , Sean Neely told the Montreal Gazette in an interview Tuesday. Patrick Neely, an industrial engineer from Beaconsfield, was was less than a kilometre from the finish line in the half marathon event of the Oasis Rock 'n' Roll Montreal Marathon on when he collapsed. He died later that day after suffering cardiac arrest.

MONTREAL — A coroner will investigate the death of a runner during Montreal ’s marathon on Sunday amid questions about whether it took too long to get him help. The provincial coroner ’s office confirmed that Patrick Neely, 24

“Over the past few years , the Montreal International Marathon saw a significant number of deficiencies in the organization and implementation of the races, including operational, logistical and safety problems ,” said Coroner will examine emergency response time in death at Montreal Marathon .

Neely, an engineer from Beaconsfield, Que., died the same evening of multiple organ failure in what was ruled a natural death. Coroner Gehane Kamel noted Neely had a congenital heart condition that was known to his physicians, but it had been stable for years.

Kamel wrote that knowledge of cardiopulmonary resuscitation should be a requirement for Montreal police officers, noting the officer who first tended to Neely happened to know the technique because of experience with a previous police force.

And while there were 52 defibrillators on site during the race — both stationary and mobile — there wasn't one available where Neely collapsed, and Montreal police cars aren't equipped with defibrillators.

"Access to a defibrillator would have been essential and should have been administered within five minutes of Mr. Neely's collapse," Kamel wrote. "We believe that rapid administration of a defibrillator would have contributed to saving his life."

Quebec coroner’s office to hold public inquiry into coronavirus deaths at long-term care homes

  Quebec coroner’s office to hold public inquiry into coronavirus deaths at long-term care homes Quebec's chief coroner is ordering a public inquiry into the deaths of residents at long-term care homes during the novel coronavirus pandemic. "This entirely public process will allow the Quebec population to be informed of the facts raised during the hearings and to follow reflection on this important social issue," the coroner's office said in a statement issued on Wednesday. Quebec is the province hit hardest by the health crisis, and as of Wednesday, it saw another 29 deaths attributed to COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus, for a total of 5,298. More to come.

WATCH: A 24 - year - old man has died after being rushed to hospital in the middle of the Montreal half- marathon Sunday. It is unclear what cause the runner to collapse, but as Global's Gloria Henriquez explains, one Montreal -area cardiologist says marathon deaths are rare.

The day after a 24 - year - old man collapsed and died during the Montreal Marathon on Sunday, there are questions about whether more could have been done to CTV News Montreal Staff Published Monday, September 23, 2019 7:24AM EDT Last Updated Monday, September 23, 2019 6:34PM EDT.

With the help of a bystander who was a nurse, the officer attempted to resuscitate Neely, but she knew that without a defibrillator time was short.

Her initial call to paramedics inside a nearby mobile medical clinic was not answered. Finally a fellow officer ran to the nearest fire hall for help, and firefighters arrived two minutes before the paramedics.

Kamel noted that Neely was taken to the nearest hospital instead of one of seven in Montreal that offered hemodynamic treatment, a procedure which would have greatly improved chances of survival.

From an organizational standpoint, the marathon was well short of volunteers — only 60 out of 200 that had been needed for the race.

"It is Montreal police officers who had to offset this lack of manpower by adding more than 200 police officers to those already planned and playing a role which was not originally intended for them," Kamel wrote.

Police investigating ‘suspicious’ death in Montreal bathhouse

  Police investigating ‘suspicious’ death in Montreal bathhouse The man, in his 40s, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after officers arrived. Comtois said police are treating the death as "suspicious" and that "an autopsy will be performed to determine the exact cause of this death." Bathhouses and other saunas were recently given the green light to reopen in Quebec amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Organizers of the Montreal Marathon issued a statement saying they were profoundly saddened to learn at a runner had died after participating in the race. The coroner is investigating.” Marathon organizers had rented eight ambulances that were strategically placed throughout the route.

A 24 - year - old man died Sunday after he collapsed while running in the Montreal Marathon . Patrick Neely, 24, was competing in the 21.1-kilometre half- marathon when he collapsed near the corner of Cherrier and St-Hubert streets at around 10 a.m.

Confronted by the logistical problems, the race director Dominique Piche stepped down in the days after the event.

Kamel recommended that the city not allow such events to go forward in the future if organizers are unable to meet strict guidelines.

Other recommendations include making defibrillator locations along the route widely known and Health Department instructions to transport cardiac patients to a hospital that offers hemodynamic services.

On Monday, Eddy Afram, chief executive of the marathon, reiterated his sympathies to Neely's family in a statement and said the coroner's report had been reviewed.

"We have discussed and will continue to discuss with the City of Montreal, police, and emergency responders measures to mutually ensure the highest safety standards for any future editions of the marathon," Afram said.

"The health and safety of runners, employees and volunteers remains the highest priority of the marathon."

Police and paramedic services were not immediately available to comment.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on June 29, 2020.

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

Jordan Lafond’s family renewing call for police oversight .
Charmaine Dreaver, the mother of Jordan LaFond, says the inquest into his death was biased and shows the need for civilian oversight of the police.Approximately 70 people assembled at Saskatoon City Hall on Saturday afternoon to hear Charmaine Dreaver, Lafond’s mother, and Grace Lafond, his grandmother, speak about the need to reform the justice system.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 3
This is interesting!