Fantasy football waiver wire: Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley replacements at a premium
Fantasy football teams suffered some devastating injuries in Week 2, but there's some hope Mike Davis, Jerick McKinnon and others can help fill void.Is Conor McGregor's retirement for real?
The Washington Football Team is making a significant shakeup at quarterback after a 1-3 start.
Quarterback Dwayne Haskins has been benched with Kyle Allen promoted to starter for Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Rams, the team announced Wednesday. Haskins will not be active after being demoted to the third string, and Alex Smith will serve as Allen's backup.
“I think our best chance to win is putting the ball in somebody else’s hands,” Washington coach Ron Rivera said in a news conference Wednesday. “Dwayne needs some more work. He just hasn’t had enough work yet.”
Nick Foles sparks Chicago Bears to fourth-quarter comeback as Atlanta Falcons collapse late again
Nick Foles threw three fourth-quarter touchdowns to rally the Chicago Bears and hand the Atlanta Falcons another stunning late loss.Foles stepped in for Trubisky in the third quarter of Sunday's game and keyed a 20-point fourth-quarter comeback and 30-26 win for the Bears, who moved to 3-0.
From NFL plays to college sports scores, all the top sports news you need to know every day.
Haskins, the No. 15 overall pick in 2019 out of Ohio State, had a rocky start to his second season with the team and first under Rivera. Washington ranks 28th in total offense (301.8 yards per game) and 26th in passing (209.5 yards per game). Haskins has completed 61% of his passes this year with four touchdowns and three interceptions.
POWER RANKINGS: Buccaneers, Bills poised to break into top five
Haskins has made just 11 starts so far in his career. His agent, David Mulugheta, expressed frustration prior to Washington's loss to the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday with how Haskins' experience had been depicted.
Lions snap 11-game losing streak by booting Cardinals on last-second field goal
Prior to Sunday, the Detroit Lions had an 11-game losing streak that dated back to last season before they beat the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday.The Lions beat the Cardinals 26-23 on Sunday on Matt Prater's 39-yard field goal, ending a nearly year-long skid and giving the franchise a bit of life after starting the season 0-2.
"Amazing this is the narrative coming out of DC," Mulugheta wrote on Twitter. "A young QB (10 starts total over 2 seasons) who is in a brand new system, with no off-season in said new system, a young OL, limited weapons on offense and only 3 games into the NFL season. Yet “he” is the one that must play well."
Rivera backed Haskins last Monday but said the team held certain expectations that the quarterback needed to meet.
“As I said, the thing at some point is, he’s going through this process — he’s growing, he’s developing — but we’ve got to continue to see positive growth,” Rivera said. “We can’t see a regression. And the one thing he has to understand is there is a certain point where you’re no longer a rookie. To me, he’s still learning and growing, but there is a point where: ‘Hey, you know what? You should be more positive with your plays.’ ”
Allen provides Rivera with a familiar figure from his time with the Carolina Panthers after being acquired from the team this offseason in a trade. Rivera inserted him as the starter for the Panthers last season when Cam Newton was sidelined after two games with a foot injury. Carolina won its first four games with Allen as the starter, but the quarterback threw 16 interceptions on the year. Rivera was fired in December, and Allen lost his final seven starts.
Atlanta Falcons fire coach Dan Quinn, GM Thomas Dimitroff after 0-5 start
Dan Quin led the Falcons to Super Bowl LI. Since then, the team has gone 24-29 and the Falcons fired Quinn after Atlanta was winless through Week 5.Quinn finishes with a 43-42 record in nearly five and a half seasons with Atlanta. Since he led the team to Super Bowl LI in the 2016 season, Quinn's teams made the postseason just once and the Falcons went 24-29.
Smith will be active for the first time since a Nov. 2018 leg injury. The veteran fractured his tibia and fibula and underwent 17 surgeries.
31. Giants (32): Did you see that play when QB Daniel Jones dropped back to pass against the Rams ... and it appeared none of his receivers ran a route? Said another way, the Giants have three TDs this season ... and Odell Beckham Jr. has four.
29. Jaguars (27): Let's go back to Next Gen Stats ... if this dubious RYOE (rushing yards over expectation) is worth a Jag, wouldn't undrafted RB James Robinson's 285 rushing yards be about 285 more than anyone expected? Let's keep it real.
24. Falcons (21): Have to admire them for trying to win from a 17-point deficit instead of with a 17-point lead. But back to the drawing board ... which reveals very winnable games over next five weeks.
22. Eagles (29): Their nine turnovers (including QB Carson Wentz's seven INTs) pace league, yet only three have occurred in last two weeks -- games Philly hasn't lost. All said, just middling enough to pace NFC East.
11. Browns (17): Feeling good about my Myles Garrett for defensive player of the year preseason prediction. NFL co-leader with five sacks, including a strip-sack each of the past three games (all wins).
8. Bills (10): Who was Buffalo's starting QB last time it started 4-0*? Answer: Trent Edwards, who went 7-7 in 2008. I suspect Josh Allen will finish stronger than Edwards did. (*With assist from officials.)
1. Chiefs (1): Prior to Week 4, no team had ever won on consecutive Mondays. Prior to Week 4, no team had started 4-0 in four consecutive seasons. Kansas City rewrote a lot of history with their ad hoc "MNF" defeat of Pats.
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Washington Football Team benches QB Dwayne Haskins, will start Kyle Allen vs. Rams
No 'Thursday Night Football' NFL game for Week 6. Here's why. .
The Bills were supposed to be hosting the Chiefs on "Thursday Night Football" for NFL Week 6, but COVID-related schedule changes pushed it to Monday.Except this week, there is no Josh Allen vs. Patrick Mahomes showdown on "Thursday Night Football.