Sports NFL pro days schedule 2021: Everything to know about pre-draft workouts without the NFL Combine
As NHL deals with COVID-19 issues, is on-ice transmission among players to blame?
The number of outbreaks around the NHL has led some to question whether team-to-team, on-ice spread is occurring. Experts can't say definitively.Five days prior to opening night on Jan. 13, the league announced the defending Western Conference champion Dallas Stars would not open the season as scheduled because 17 players had contracted COVID-19 during training camp.
NFL pro days are taking on much greater importance ahead of the. The league has canceled its traditional central NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis this year, meaning prospects' official measurements and on-field drills will be conducted at their respective college campuses from early March through early April.
For teams wanting a closer look at the players whom they are considering drafting in late April, they would need to attend those specific pro days around the nation. The NFL also has limited all teams to having no more than three combined representatives from their front-office, scouting and coaching staffs at each pro day.
NFL mock draft 2021: Carson Wentz trade changes plans for Colts, Bears, Broncos; Eagles pass on falling Justin Fields
Sporting News' updated 2021 mock draft projecting pick Nos. 1-32 explores the ripple effects of Carson Wentz's trade from the Eagle to the Colts plus other Round 1 quarterback implications.Indianapolis joined Detroit in getting a still-young 2016 first-round starter with the trade for Carson Wentz from Philadelphia. Those aren't the only three teams going away from taking a QB early from a position group that has five worthy first-round prospects.
Without a Combine, talent evaluators need do their due pro day diligence by grinding film and virtually interviewing prospects. Starting with when the top college programs and some of the most notable players available will work out, here is everything you need to know to follow the pre-draft action.
MORE NFL DRAFT:|
NFL pro days schedule 2021
Friday, March 5
Tuesday, March 9
- Kansas State
- Northwestern (OT Rashawn Slater, LB Paddy Fisher, CB Greg Newsome)
Wednesday, March 10
- Arkansas (QB Feleipe Franks)
- Northern Illinois
Thursday, March 11
- Clemson (RB Travis Etienne, WR Amari Rodgers, OT Jackson Carman, WR Cornell Powell)
- New Mexico
- Texas (EDGE Joseph Ossai, OT Samuel Cosmi, S Caden Stearns, QB Sam Ehlinger)
Friday, March 12
Goodell: NFL learnings from 2020 technology here to stay
One of the major benefits of playing a full season pretty much on schedule during a pandemic is what the NFL learned technologically from 2020. Commissioner Roger Goodell says the league has found new avenues of communication that will be common in future seasons. “Virtual meetings have now become standard in the NFL; we are not going to have as much (in-person) meetings when we get back,” Goodell said Wednesday at the NFL Women's Careers inCommissioner Roger Goodell says the league has found new avenues of communication that will be common in future seasons.
- Arkansas State
- North Dakota State (QB Trey Lance, OT Dillon Radunz)
- Oklahoma (G/C Creed Humphrey, EDGE Ronnie Perkins, RB Rhamondre Stevenson)
Monday, March 15
- Kent State
- Middle Tennessee State
Tuesday, March 16
- Georgia Tech
Wednesday, March 17
- Georgia (EDGE Azeez Ojulari, CB Eric Stokes, CB Tyson Campbell, QB Jamie Newman, G Ben Cleveland)
- Pittsburgh (S Paris Ford, EDGE Patrick Jones II, DT Jalen Twyman)
- San Jose State
Thursday, March 18
- Auburn (WR Seth Williams)
- Buffalo (RB Jaret Patterson)
- Central Arkansas
- Louisiana Tech
- Stanford (OT Walker Little, QB Davis Mills)
- West Virginia
Friday, March 19
- Memphis (RB Kenneth Gainwell)
- TCU (S Trevon Moehrig, S Ar'Darius Washington)
Monday, March 22
- Air Force
- Bowling Green
- Colorado State
- Florida State (CB Asante Samuel Jr. DT Marvin Wilson, S Hamsah Nasirildeen, WR Tamorrion Terry)
- Iowa (DT Daviyon Nixon)
- Missouri (LB Nick Bolton)
- Northern Iowa
Tuesday, March 23
Jets' Douglas praises Darnold, but open to trading QB
NEW YORK — Sam Darnold's time as the face of the New York Jets franchise might be nearing a disappointing end. The 23-year-old quarterback was considered an untouchable player on the roster only a year ago. General manager Joe Douglas has backed off that stance, though, and it could signal a major change at the position as free agency and the NFL draft approach. “I will answer the call if it's made,” Douglas said Wednesday when asked if he'dThe 23-year-old quarterback was considered an untouchable player on the roster only a year ago. General manager Joe Douglas has backed off that stance, though, and it could signal a major change at the position as free agency and the NFL draft approach.
- Alabama (WR DeVonta Smith, CB Patrick Surtain II, WR Jaylen Waddle, QB Mac Jones, RB Najee Harris, DT Christian Barmore, OT Alex Leatherwood, G Landon Dickerson, LB Dylan Moses)
- Central Michigan
- Iowa State
- Purdue (WR Rondale Moore)
Wednesday, March 24
- Michigan State
- Mississippi State (RB Kylin Hill)
- South Carolina (CB Jaycee Horn)
- USC (G Alijah Vera-Tucker, WR Amon-Ra St. Brown, DT Jay Tufele)
Thursday, March 25
- Georgia Southern
- North Texas
- Ole Miss (WR Elijah Moore)
- Penn State (LB Micah Parsons, EDGE Jayson Oweh, TE Pat Freiermuth)
- San Diego State
- SMU (QB Shane Buechele)
- Tennessee (G Trey Smith)
- Western Michigan
Friday, March 26
- Boston College (TE Hunter Long)
- BYU (QB Zach Wilson)
- Michigan (EDGE Kwity Paye, OT Jalen Mayfield)
- South Dakota State (WR Cade Jones)
- Virginia Tech (CB Caleb Farley, OT Christian Darrisaw)
Monday, March 29
- Arizona State
- Duke (EDGE Chris Rumph II)
- Miami (EDGE Gregory Rousseau, EDGE Jalan Phillips, TE Brevin Jordan, EDGE Quincy Roche)
- Miami (Ohio)
- North Carolina (RB Javonte Williams, WR Dyami Brown, RB Michael Carter, LB Chazz Surratt)
Tuesday, March 30
2021 MLB Top Prospects: Rookie pitcher sleepers for fantasy baseball redraft, dynasty leagues
A good number of rookie pitchers find their way to fantasy baseball relevance every season. Prospects guru Frank Neville breaks down the 2021 crop of young hurlers so you know which sleepers to target in drafts, especially in keeper or dynasty leagues.In other words, given the range of possibilities, the only sure bet is that we’ll most likely be surprised by who gets called up and when. So, in the spirit of controlling what we can control, the following is a list of the top-20 rookie pitchers who are likely to make an early-season impact.
- Alabama (follow-up)
- East Carolina
- Florida Atlantic
- North Carolina State
- Ohio State (QB Justin Fields, G Wyatt Davis, DT Tommy Togai, LB Pete Werner, CB Shaun Wade, LB Baron Browning, G Josh Myers, RB Trey Sermon)
- Texas A&M (QB Kellen Mond)
- Washington (DT Levi Onwuzurike, S Elijah Molden)
Wednesday, March 31
- Boise State
- Florida (TE Kyle Pitts, WR Kadarius Toney, QB Kyle Trask)
- LSU (WR Ja'Marr Chase, WR Terrace Marshall Jr.)
- Notre Dame (LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, OT Liam Eichenberg)
- Wake Forest (EDGE Carlos Basham Jr., WR Sage Surratt)
Thursday, April 1
- Applachian State
- Minnesota (WR Rashod Bateman)
- Oklahoma State (OT Teven Jenkins, RB Chuba Hubbard)
- Oregon State
- South Florida
- Western Kentucky
Friday, April 2
- Oregon (OT Penei Sewell, S Jevon Holland)
- Tulsa (LB Javen Collins)
Wednesday, April 7
- Texas Tech
Friday, April 9
- Ball State
How to watch NFL pro days on TV
The NFL Network and ESPN will have live pre-draft coverage of the bigger college campus workouts, focusing on marquee programs with a plethora of top 2021 prospects, including Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Florida. There also will be a focus on first-round quarterbacks from outside of those schools, such as BYU's Zach Wilson and North Dakota State's Trey Lance.
Fantasy Baseball Draft Strategy: Tips, advice for dominating in snake drafts
What do poker, chess, and fantasy baseball have in common? Fantasy Alarm's Greg Jewett breaks down lessons from all three to develop a statistics-based draft strategy that can help you dominate your snake draft.The name of "The Queen's Gambit" refers to sacrificing a pawn in hopes of securing the center of the board. If the opponent takes the bait, it allows the white pieces to shift from defense to offense. A key component displayed by chess masters lies in the credo: In order to win, you must avoid losing. No, Yogi Berra did not coin this phrase. After a move on the board, it's not strategy or winning which remains at the forefront of their thoughts.
Television and streaming information will available closer to the date of each workout, so stay tuned for updates as they become available.
Biggest storylines to watch
1, Quarterbacks, quarterback, quarterbacks (minus Trevor Lawrence). Lawrence already turned in hisat Clemson in mid February before having shoulder on his left (non-throwing) shoulder and to lock down the No. 1 overall pick to the Jaguars. Now Wilson, Lance, Ohio State's Justin Fields, Alabama's Mac Jones and Florida's Kyle Trask will all get chances to settle their first- and second-round positions behind them. With the stock of every QB after Lawrence somewhat in flux, each workout can be critical.
2. Alabama times two. With Jones and several key members of the Crimson Tide's national championship offense ready to perform for scouts, that doesn't even get into the traditional glut of pro-ready top defensive players leaving Nick Saban. The prospects are so elite and nice, this pro day needs to happen twice, one week apart, on March 23 and then again on March 30. Jones' stock watch aside, it's also a "competition" to see whether DeVonta Smith or Jaylen Waddle should be the first 'Bama wide receiver off the board in the first round, and whether running back Najee Harris can convince teams he should also go later in the round.
3. Florida's dynamic trio. Trask will be operating with his two inside, first-round go-to guys, dominant receiving tight Kyle Pitts and big-play slot receiver Kadarius Toney. Trask has fallen out of top 32 consideration deeper into the process, but he can use his familiar targets to try to boost himself in the early second round.
2021 NFL free agent tracker: Keep pace with offseason's major moves
As NFL free agency closes in and top players get cut and sign new deals over the next few weeks, we're updating this page will all the latest moves.Prior to March 17, only players who had been released from their previous contracts were eligible to join new clubs, new Arizona Cardinal J.J. Watt and Houston Texan Mark Ingram being examples.
4. Running up the board. In some combination, Harris and Clemson's Travis Etienne have been steady as the 1-2 punch atop the available running back prospects. But backs such as the North Carolina duo of Javonte Williams and Michael Carter have seen their stocks shoot up. Meanwhile, players such as Mississippi State's Kylin Hill and Oklahoma State's Chuba Hubbard have more to prove.
5. Getting freaky in the Big Ten. As edge rushers, Michigan's Kwity Paye and Penn State's Jayson Oweh can put on a show. Same goes for Northwestern offensive tackle Rashawn Slater and Purdue wide receiver Rondale Moore. There are a lot of dynamic athletes to watch in the Big Ten outside of Ohio State.
6. Opt-outs back in play. Slater, Oregon offensive tackle Penei Sewell, Penn State linebacker Micah Parsons, Miami edge rusher Gregory Rousseau and Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley highlight the many standouts who decided to skip the 2020 season because of concerns over COVID-19. It will be good to see them and others live in football-playing mode again in 2021, before they transition to the NFL.
7. Living on the EDGE ... and at linebacker. There have been many fluctuating values involving the best pass rushers and rangy cover men from the second level. Related to that, there are lot of versatile safeties behind them trying to find their place in the pecking order. As much as there's offensive excitement in this draft, the defensive decisions are tough. Teams will want a few more answers about talent and scheme fits.
Trey Lance's college stats, highlights & more to know about the 2021 NFL Draft prospect .
North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance shot up 2021 NFL Draft boards after just one season with the Bison, making him one of the biggest mysteries in a loading QB class.At 6-4, 227 pounds, with the ideal frame, strong arm and fine athleticism, Lance checks all the boxes to have superstar promise in the modern passing NFL. But with the great upside comes limited playing experience and youth. Lance will turn only 21 a little after the draft, on May 9.