Sports Woodbine Entertainment CEO puts tentative June 5 start to '21 thoroughbred campaign
Longtime executive Copeland joins Woodbine Entertainment as Chief Commercial Officer
TORONTO — Woodbine Entertainment hired Michael Copeland as its chief commercial officer on Tuesday. Copeland joins Woodbine Entertainment after having founded his own sports consulting business. Prior to that, he had served as president/CEO of both the CFL (2006-15) and Toronto Argonauts (2015-18). "In addition to his extensive background in sports and business, Michael is a strong, visionary leader, making him an ideal teammate to lead our commercial efforts as we look to realize those opportunities for growth in a rapidly changing sports marketplace in Canada," Woodbine CEO Jim Lawson said in a statement.
TORONTO — Woodbine Entertainment is targeting June 5 as a potential opening day for its 2021 thoroughbred season.
The campaign was slated to begin April 17 but was postponed indefinitely due to Ontario's lockdown amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
The province is scheduled to end its stay-at-home order May 20 but the expectation is that will be extended into June to prevent a fourth wave of the novel coronavirus.
All outdoor sports are banned under the stay-at-home order.
Woodbine CEO Jim Lawson told Woodbine's horse people of the tentative starting date "for preparation purposes only" in an email Wednesday. He said Woodbine plans to release its first condition book and revised stakes schedule Saturday.
Canadian medical students push for COVID-19 vaccine IP waiver
Increasing pressure on Canadian government to remove patents for COVID-19 vaccines and medical supplies to allow global equity amid the pandemic.In an open letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau April 24, more than 900 medical students and health advocates across the country urged the Canadian government to sign a proposal for an intellectual property (IP) waiver to enable patent-free, widespread manufacturing of COVID-19 medicines and vaccines.
"The target start date, and the accompanying condition book, are being provided to help trainers prepare for the opening of our season," Lawson said in the email. "We have not yet received any information or assurances from the Government of Ontario regarding being permitted to resume racing by this date.
"That said, we continue to have positive discussions with the public health authorities and have recently requested meetings with the Ministry of Health and Premier’s Office. We will provide you updates as we learn more."
Woodbine held a series of COVID-19 vaccine clinics last week.
"We estimate that the first dose vaccination rate of essential frontline horse people is approximately 75 per cent," he said. "This is a solid start, but we need to try to get that rate as close to 100 per cent as possible and preferably before May 31, as previously communicated."
Lawson admitted he's grown weary of continually offering Woodbine officials hope regarding the staging of a '21 thoroughbred meet.
"I would like nothing more than to be provide you with the certainty you require and deserve," he wrote. "However, right now we need to remain patient while knowing that we continue to do everything we can to resume live racing in Ontario as soon as possible. "
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 12, 2021.
The Canadian Press
NHL announces blank COVID protocol-related absences list .
The long-awaited day has finally arrived. When the NHL released it’s COVID Protocol Related Absences list on Monday evening, it contained no names. It is the first time since the list originally debuted at the start of the regular season that the contents has been empty. Granted, the list now only includes the 14 active playoff teams as opposed to all 31 clubs, but it still marks a major achievement in the league’s battle against the Coronavirus. © Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports Of course, the final step toward a league-wide clean bill of health actually came with the elimination of the St. Louis Blues on Sunday.