Sports 'America's Got Talent' tops TV's Nielsen ratings
14 Famous Last-Ditch Efforts to Save Almost-Canceled TV Series (Photos)
Be it poor ratings, a huge cast member exit or a showrunner shakeup, shows can suffer many a crisis that puts them on the rocks with their network. But several series have managed backed away from the cliff thanks to some successful hail mary passes. Heck, some have even been resuscitated after cancellation. Check out the gallery below to see programs that were on the brink of (possible) cancellation for one reason or another, and the last-ditch efforts that were made to save them. © Provided by TheWrap Be it poor ratings, a huge cast member exit, or a showrunner shakeup, series can suffer many a crisis that puts them on the rocks with their network.
NEW YORK (AP) — Competition at athletic venues dominated the agenda for television viewers last week, but none was as popular as a competition on stage.
“America's Got Talent,” which is well-established as TV's favorite live show of the summer, reached seven million viewers last week with auditions for its 16th season on NBC, the Nielsen company said.
ABC found some viewers for its premiere of “When Nature Calls,” where Helen Mirren narrates comedic film clips from the wild, a reboot of a BBC series.
Otherwise, the NBA conference finals and Olympic trials drew many TV viewers.
Amy Winehouse was in a HIP-HOP group?! 10 artists who were in bands before going solo
Even the diehard fans of some pop superstars won't realise that their idols were part of a group before making it big time on their own. Some even started their careers in a different genre before taking the plunge to go solo. From Usher to Rihanna, here are 10 artists who were in a band first
NBC won the week with an average of 3.5 million viewers in prime time. CBS had 3 million, ABC had 2.7 million, Fox had 1.7 million, Univision had 1.2 million, Ion Television had 1.02 million and Telemundo had 990,000.
ESPN won a tight race for cable supremacy, averaging 2.19 million viewers in prime time. TNT had 2.18 million, Fox News Channel had 2.15 million, MSNBC had 1.32 million and HGTV had 1.13 million.
ABC's “World News Tonight” was the most popular evening news show, averaging 7.8 million viewers. NBC's “Nightly News” had 6.3 million and the “CBS Evening News” had 4.7 million.
For the week of June 21-27, the 20 most popular programs, their networks and viewerships:
1. “America's Got Talent,” NBC, 7.01 million.
2. “Olympic Trials: Women's Gymnastics" (Sunday), NBC, 5.75 million.
The Ultimate Guide to the Best Disney Movies of All Time
Seems like when you wish upon a star, Disney answers.
3. NBA Conference Finals: Milwaukee at Atlanta (Sunday), TNT, 5.6 million.
4. NBA Conference Finals: Phoenix at L.A. Clippers (Saturday), ESPN, 5.54 million.
Video: Queer TV Series To Watch (ET Canada)
5. NBA Conference Finals: Phoenix at L.A. Clippers (Thursday), ESPN, 5.33 million.
6. NBA Conference Finals: Atlanta at Milwaukee (Wednesday), TNT, 5.3 million.
7. NBA Conference Finals: L.A. Clippers at Phoenix (Tuesday), ESPN, 5.27 million.
8. “60 Minutes,” CBS, 5.04 million.
9. “Olympic Trials: Women's Gymnastics” (Friday), NBC, 4.59 million.
10. “Celebrity Family Feud,” ABC, 4.38 million.
11. “America's Funniest Home Videos,” ABC, 4.35 million.
12. “NCIS,” CBS, 4.16 million.
13. “Olympic Trials: Track & Field” (Monday), NBC, 3.97 million.
14. “United States of Al,” CBS, 3.83 million.
15. NBA Conference Finals: Atlanta at Milwaukee (Friday), TNT, 3.7 million.
16. “When Nature Calls,” ABC, 3.698 million.
17. “Young Sheldon,” CBS, 3.67 million.
18. “FBI,” CBS, 3.65 million.
19. “The Neighborhood,” CBS, 3.58 million.
20. “The $100,000 Pyramid,” ABC, 3.56 million.
David Bauder, The Associated Press
Weather Channel's Weak Ratings Raise Questions as Fox Preps a Direct Challenger .
Fox is angling to compete in the weather-content space long dominated by the Weather Channel with a new streaming network set to launch later this year. But how is the Weather Channel really such a ratings powerhouse? In the fall, Fox News Media will roll out Fox Weather, its eighth platform, to join offerings like Fox News, Fox Business Network, Fox Nation, Fox Books and more. As cable news sees declines in ratings, it's clear that interest inIn the fall, Fox News Media will roll out Fox Weather, its eighth platform, to join offerings like Fox News, Fox Business Network, Fox Nation, Fox Books and more.