Sports Logan Mailloux was surprised Canadiens decided to draft him
Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft
The Canadiens have submitted their protected list for the Seattle Kraken expansion draft to the NHL and Carey Price is not on it. General manager Marc Bergevin had the option of protecting seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie or eight skaters (forwards or defencemen) and one goalie. He went with the first option and protected goalie Jake Allen instead of Price. The NHL released the expansion draft protected lists on Sunday morning. Price, 33, has five seasons remaining on his eight-year, US$84-million contract with an annual salary-cap hit of $10.5 million.
The morning after being unexpectedly selected by the Canadiens in the first round of the NHL Draft, Logan Mailloux spoke with the media on a Zoom conference Saturday.
The 18-year-old defenceman with the London Knights had asked that no NHL teams draft him this year after he had shown teammates a photo of himself engaged in a sexual act with an 18-year-old woman last year while playing for SK Lejon in Sweden. Mailloux was 17 at the time and the photo was taken without the woman’s consent. Mailloux was ultimately charged with defamation and offensive photography in Sweden and was fined approximately US$1,650.
Four of Canadiens' nine picks at NHL Draft are from the QMJHL
After selecting only two players from the QMJHL in the previous five NHL Drafts, the Canadiens picked four of them on Saturday. The Canadiens had nine picks overall at this year’s draft. The Canadiens picked Riley Kidney, a centre with the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in the second round; William Trudeau, a defenceman with the Charlottetown Islanders in the fourth round; Joshua Roy, a right-winger with the Sherbrooke Phoenix in the fifth round; and Xavier Simoneau, a centre with Charlottetown in the sixth round. “They fell into place,” Canadiens assistant GM Trevor Timmins said when asked why the team drafted so many players from the Quebec junior league.
Mailloux started his Zoom conference by reading a prepared statement in English and then French.
“During an intimate moment with a young woman, I took a picture of us without her consent,” said Mailloux, who is from Belle River, Ont. “I sent it to my teammates to impress them. It was totally irresponsible and a stupid act that I committed without thinking twice. For that lack of judgment on my part, I was fined by Swedish law. I know I caused a lot of harm to this person and their family and I regret doing this stupid and egotistical act. I deeply regret it. What I did now is unfortunately a part of both her life and mine. I have apologized to her but, nonetheless, this will follow her for the rest of her life and for that I deeply and sincerely regret it.
Canadiens' pick Logan Mailloux has lots of work to do off ice: expert
Dr. Walter S. DeKeseredy believes in giving people second chances and that includes Logan Mailloux, the Canadiens’ first-round pick at this year’s NHL Draft. Mailloux, an 18-year-old defenceman, released a statement early last week saying he had renounced himself from Friday night’s draft, adding he hadn’t earned and didn’t deserve the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates. Mailloux was charged with defamation and offensive photography and was fined approximately US$1,650.
“I know I had said that I did not want to be drafted this year,” he added. “As a young man who wants to become a better person I feel that being accompanied by the Montreal Canadiens organization will help me greatly. They have committed to help me grow as a person and I thank them for this. I have already started my personal journey as I am participating in professional counselling. I thank them for believing in me and giving me a second chance. I promise to not let anybody down. I want to use my personal story to be a part of the solution moving forward.”
Mailloux said he had multiple meetings with the Canadiens throughout the last year but had not spoken with anyone from the team since releasing the statement on Tuesday that he was renouncing himself from this year’s draft. Mailloux didn’t believe he had demonstrated strong enough maturity or character to earn the privilege of being selected.
Sponsors for Canadiens pushing back against Logan Mailloux draft pick
Montreal Canadiens' sponsors are pushing back as the team continues to face backlash in the wake of its controversial decision to select a player who was charged with a sex crime.Some of the team's biggest sponsors are now speaking out, expressing their discomfort with the move to draft the 18-year-old Ontario native who was charged with defamation and the distribution of non-consensual offensive photography last year after taking and sharing a photo of himself and an 18-year-old girl engaged in a sexual act.
The Canadiens drafted Mailloux anyways and he was surprised when he heard Bergevin announce his name with the 31st overall pick Friday night.
Logan Mailloux répond en direct aux questions des médias.
Logan Mailloux is live taking questions from reporters.— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL)
The woman Mailloux photographed engaged in a sexual actthat all she was looking for was a “heartfelt apology” and she didn’t believe she received one.
“I do not think that Logan has understood the seriousness of his behaviour,” she told The Athletic.
“At this point I just hope that she does know that I am sincere about this,” Mailloux said Saturday. “I am really sorry. It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever done and I know that it impacted her life and I just hope that she knows how remorseful I feel and that I did feel sorry about it.
“I have apologized to her multiple times and I do hope that she does know how remorseful and how sorry I do feel about this whole situation,” he added.
Mailloux decided to play in Sweden after the OHL was shut down for the year because of COVID-19. In 19 games with SK Lejon Mailloux had 7-8-15 totals and was minus-14. In 48 games with the Junior B London Nationals in 2019-20, the 6-foot-3, 212-pound defenceman had 18-51-69 totals and 94 penalty minutes. Mailloux was pointless in four games with the OHL’s Knights in 2019-20. He is expected to play for the Knights next season.
Sponsors, Trudeau criticize Canadiens over Mailloux draft pick
Pressure is growing on the Montreal Canadiens over their controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux, with at least two other Quebec companies saying they’re unhappy with team’s choice. After St-Hubert BBQ said it’s weighing whether to stop advertising with the team , Groupe Jean-Coutu and Desjardins Group said they have contacted the Canadiens to express their displeasure with the team’s decision to draft Mailloux. La Cage Brasserie Sportive said they too were uncomfortable with the draft decision.
Mailloux was ranked 23rd among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.
“Just on the hockey side, we saw players who were picked before him — we’re only talking about the hockey side right now — he was a step ahead of them,” Bergevin said after selecting Mailloux. “And from the players available — just from the hockey side — he was the best pick, from the hockey side.”
Bergevin and the Canadiens were obviously willing to let the “hockey side” outweigh everything else when it came to selecting Mailloux.
When asked about his reaction to being drafted, Mailloux said: “I think being in Montreal is definitely going to be big for me. I think being such a storied franchise as they are I think they know what they’re doing. They’re going to be able to help me along my journey here of bettering myself as a person and my character and I definitely think just being in Montreal is something that’s going to be able to help me in the short term and long term.
“I hope the fans there do learn to accept me and I do feel remorseful and I hope that not only the girl but the whole fan base knows that as well,” he added. “This was a stupid mistake that I made, an amateur mistake, and I think being in Montreal at the same time is going to be very good for me personally on a personal standpoint for my development as a character.”
Canadiens owner Geoff Molson finally addresses Mailloux draft pick .
It took five days, but Canadiens owner/president Geoff Molson finally came forward Wednesday and addressed his team’s decision to select Logan Mailloux in the first round of the NHL Draft last Friday. The 18-year-old defenceman had released a statement last Tuesday saying he had renounced himself from the draft, adding he hadn’t earned and didn’t deserve the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates. Mailloux was charged with defamation and offensive photography and was fined approximately US$1,650.