Sports Stu Cowan: Canadiens should show concern for Logan Mailloux's victim
Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft
The Canadiens have submitted their protected list for the Seattle Kraken expansion draft to the NHL and Carey Price is not on it. General manager Marc Bergevin had the option of protecting seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie or eight skaters (forwards or defencemen) and one goalie. He went with the first option and protected goalie Jake Allen instead of Price. The NHL released the expansion draft protected lists on Sunday morning. Price, 33, has five seasons remaining on his eight-year, US$84-million contract with an annual salary-cap hit of $10.5 million.
Logan Mailloux said he didn’t deserve to be selected at this year’s NHL Draft.
The Canadiens — led by team owner/president Geoff Molson, general manager Marc Bergevin and assistant GM Trevor Timmins — thought otherwise and selected the 18-year-old defenceman in the first round (31st overall) Friday night.
Mailloux released a statement Tuesday saying he had renounced himself from the draft, adding he hadn’t earned the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates. Mailloux was charged with defamation and offensive photography in Sweden and was fined approximately US$1,650.
Four of Canadiens' nine picks at NHL Draft are from the QMJHL
After selecting only two players from the QMJHL in the previous five NHL Drafts, the Canadiens picked four of them on Saturday. The Canadiens had nine picks overall at this year’s draft. The Canadiens picked Riley Kidney, a centre with the Acadie-Bathurst Titan in the second round; William Trudeau, a defenceman with the Charlottetown Islanders in the fourth round; Joshua Roy, a right-winger with the Sherbrooke Phoenix in the fifth round; and Xavier Simoneau, a centre with Charlottetown in the sixth round. “They fell into place,” Canadiens assistant GM Trevor Timmins said when asked why the team drafted so many players from the Quebec junior league.
After the draft ended Saturday, Timmins was asked during a Zoom conference with the media: “In his statement (Mailloux) says he thought that he did not earn the right to be drafted. Based on that, if the player thinks that, why do you think the opposite?”
Timmins took a deep breath, followed by 21 seconds of silence while gathering his thoughts before saying: “What do you mean what do I think the opposite? … Can you expand on that a little bit?”
Timmins then said the Canadiens “truly believe” Mailloux was remorseful, adding: “we’re going to help him through this difficult time, the difficult waters he has. We have a really good support staff that’s going to help him along and we believe in him and that he’ll become a better person from all this.”
Canadiens' pick Logan Mailloux has lots of work to do off ice: expert
Dr. Walter S. DeKeseredy believes in giving people second chances and that includes Logan Mailloux, the Canadiens’ first-round pick at this year’s NHL Draft. Mailloux, an 18-year-old defenceman, released a statement early last week saying he had renounced himself from Friday night’s draft, adding he hadn’t earned and didn’t deserve the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates. Mailloux was charged with defamation and offensive photography and was fined approximately US$1,650.
But what about the 18-year-old woman whose photograph Mailloux took without her permission and then shared in a team group chat on Snapchat? Are the Canadiens going to do anything to try and help her since she was the only real victim here?
“We’re just getting through this draft … I mean we just finished here now, so I’ll find out what’s going on with that direction as well,” Timmins said.
Timmins said Rob Ramage, the Canadiens’ director of player development, has already started working with Mailloux and added that the team’s community-relations people also have a plan in place for him.
“I know Logan meets with a lady psychiatrist a couple of times a week and we’re looking forward to welcoming him to training camp,” Timmins said.
The Canadiens should start thinking seriously about also getting help for the woman, who has certainly been through much more of an emotional ordeal than Mailloux through no fault of her own.
Sponsors for Canadiens pushing back against Logan Mailloux draft pick
Montreal Canadiens' sponsors are pushing back as the team continues to face backlash in the wake of its controversial decision to select a player who was charged with a sex crime.Some of the team's biggest sponsors are now speaking out, expressing their discomfort with the move to draft the 18-year-old Ontario native who was charged with defamation and the distribution of non-consensual offensive photography last year after taking and sharing a photo of himself and an 18-year-old girl engaged in a sexual act.
When asked if Molson had signed off on drafting Mailloux, Timmins said: “Geoff Molson’s aware of everything that goes on in our organization and this was a hockey decision and we’ll leave it at that.”
There has to be more than that from the Canadiens.
Mailloux was 17 when he shared the photo with his teammates. Teenagers do dumb things with their phones and on social media and this was an extreme case. If there’s anything good that can come out of this it’s that hopefully others will learn a lesson.
Logan Mailloux répond en direct aux questions des médias.
Logan Mailloux is live taking questions from reporters.— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL)
Unfortunately, one of the lessons now is that an NHL team like the Canadiens will still draft you after doing such a thing — even if you ask them not to — if they think you can play.
As bad as this was, it doesn’t mean Mailloux should have never been allowed to get drafted or play in the NHL. He showed maturity that he obviously didn’t have last year in Sweden when he spoke with the media for more than 15 minutes Saturday on a Zoom conference and he did sound sincerely remorseful for what he called a “stupid and egotistical act.” Hopefully he will grow up quickly from this experience and there won’t be any similar problems in the future.
Sponsors, Trudeau criticize Canadiens over Mailloux draft pick
Pressure is growing on the Montreal Canadiens over their controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux, with at least two other Quebec companies saying they’re unhappy with team’s choice. After St-Hubert BBQ said it’s weighing whether to stop advertising with the team , Groupe Jean-Coutu and Desjardins Group said they have contacted the Canadiens to express their displeasure with the team’s decision to draft Mailloux. La Cage Brasserie Sportive said they too were uncomfortable with the draft decision.
Mailloux also showed maturity when he renounced himself from the draft. It was a grown-up idea that would have given him a year to prove he really has changed and it would have also given the woman a year to help recover from her ordeal without all this new publicity about the story under the bright NHL and Canadiens spotlight.
The Canadiens were the ones who acted immature this time. They must have known the heat they would take for drafting Mailloux, but didn’t seem to care. Giving Mailloux a second chance after a teenage mistake — even one this big — is OK. But it didn’t have to be now, especially when he had asked for some time.
“Well, he might have been drafted if we didn’t draft him,” Timmins said. “Somebody else might have drafted him the pick after or whatever. We also heard rumours out there — it was on social media, too — that teams were lining up in the second round. Somebody was going to end up drafting him in the second round. That was the hearsay that we got.
“This is something, obviously, was very, very wrong in what he did,” Timmins added. “We believe that he’s learned from it and hopefully it’s going to make him a better person moving forward.”
Mailloux said he never expected the Canadiens to draft him and was surprised when Bergevin announced his name Friday night.
“I haven’t said that I think I deserve to be drafted,” Mailloux said Saturday. “Like I said in my statement, I do not think that I did earn the right to be drafted.”
The Canadiens obviously disagreed and made him a first-round pick.
Canadiens owner Geoff Molson finally addresses Mailloux draft pick .
It took five days, but Canadiens owner/president Geoff Molson finally came forward Wednesday and addressed his team’s decision to select Logan Mailloux in the first round of the NHL Draft last Friday. The 18-year-old defenceman had released a statement last Tuesday saying he had renounced himself from the draft, adding he hadn’t earned and didn’t deserve the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates. Mailloux was charged with defamation and offensive photography and was fined approximately US$1,650.