Sports Montreal Canadiens owner says team let down fans with controversial draft pick
Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft
The Canadiens have submitted their protected list for the Seattle Kraken expansion draft to the NHL and Carey Price is not on it. General manager Marc Bergevin had the option of protecting seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie or eight skaters (forwards or defencemen) and one goalie. He went with the first option and protected goalie Jake Allen instead of Price. The NHL released the expansion draft protected lists on Sunday morning. Price, 33, has five seasons remaining on his eight-year, US$84-million contract with an annual salary-cap hit of $10.5 million.
MONTREAL — The owner of the Montreal Canadiens says he understands the team disappointed fans by drafting a player who was convicted of taking and distributing an explicit photo without consent while playing in Sweden.
Geoff Molson says in an open letter that Logan Mailloux's actions last year "do not reflect the values" of the team.
He says there was no intention to harm the victim when picking Mailloux 31st overall in the NHL draft.
Mailloux was playing for SK Lejon in Sweden's third division last year when he was fined by a Swedish court after he was convicted of charges related to sharing, without her consent, a photo of a woman performing a sexual act.
NHL Mock Draft 2021, final edition: Sabres add Power, Kraken make first pick and Hughes brothers unite
The first round of the 2021 NHL Draft is July 23.On July 23 and 24, 223 prospects will hear their name called and begin their hopeful journey to becoming NHL regulars and stars. However, as it approaches, there are numerous questions around who will go where.
Video: Montreal Canadiens criticized for drafting Logan Mailloux, player who violated woman’s privacy (cbc.ca)
In the wake of the fallout over Mailloux's pick, Molson says the team is developing a plan to raise awareness and educate young men and women about this issue.
Mailloux has been asked to not participate in the rookie or main training camp this fall.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 28, 2021.
The Canadian Press
St-Hubert will maintain partnership with Canadiens despite Mailloux scandal .
After saying it was evaluating whether to continue its partnership with the team following its controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux, Groupe St-Hubert says it will not cut ties with the Montreal Canadiens. In a statement issued Thursday, the company said it’s had discussions with the organization in recent days and has decided to continue its “long-standing association with the club.” Specifically, the restaurant chain said it appreciated team owner Geoff Molson “taking responsibility” and publicly apologizing this week to anyone hurt by the decision.