•   
  •   
  •   

Sports St-Hubert will maintain partnership with Canadiens despite Mailloux scandal

04:06  30 july  2021
04:06  30 july  2021 Source:   montrealgazette.com

Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft

  Canadiens leave Carey Price unprotected for Seattle expansion draft The Canadiens have submitted their protected list for the Seattle Kraken expansion draft to the NHL and Carey Price is not on it. General manager Marc Bergevin had the option of protecting seven forwards, three defencemen and one goalie or eight skaters (forwards or defencemen) and one goalie. He went with the first option and protected goalie Jake Allen instead of Price. The NHL released the expansion draft protected lists on Sunday morning. Price, 33, has five seasons remaining on his eight-year, US$84-million contract with an annual salary-cap hit of $10.5 million.

a car parked in front of a building: St-Hubert BBQ says it appreciated team owner Geoff Molson “taking responsibility” and publicly apologizing this week to anyone hurt by the decision to draft Logan Mailloux. © Provided by The Gazette St-Hubert BBQ says it appreciated team owner Geoff Molson “taking responsibility” and publicly apologizing this week to anyone hurt by the decision to draft Logan Mailloux.

After saying it was evaluating whether to continue its partnership with the team following its controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux, Groupe St-Hubert says it will not cut ties with the Montreal Canadiens.

In a statement issued Thursday, the company said it’s had discussions with the organization in recent days and has decided to continue its “long-standing association with the club.”

Stu Cowan: Canadiens should show concern for Logan Mailloux's victim

  Stu Cowan: Canadiens should show concern for Logan Mailloux's victim Logan Mailloux said he didn’t deserve to be selected at this year’s NHL Draft. The Canadiens — led by team owner/president Geoff Molson, general manager Marc Bergevin and assistant GM Trevor Timmins — thought otherwise and selected the 18-year-old defenceman in the first round (31st overall) Friday night. Mailloux released a statement Tuesday saying he had renounced himself from the draft, adding he hadn’t earned the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates.

Specifically, the restaurant chain said it appreciated team owner Geoff Molson “taking responsibility” and publicly apologizing this week to anyone hurt by the decision.

“We are confident that the Canadiens will implement the action plan as outlined and this will hopefully lead to some positive outcomes,” it said. “We continue to disapprove of abusive actions and reprehensible behaviour, regardless of an individual’s status in society.”

Groupe St-Hubert said it will not be commenting any further on the situation. Earlier this week, it had said it was “surprised” by the team’s decision and evaluating what to do next .

The company’s position is similar to the stance taken by one of the team’s other major sponsors, Mouvement Desjardins. After voicing discomfort about the selection earlier this week, the financial-services co-operative said Wednesday it’s also “satisfied by the sincerity of the comments expressed by Geoff Molson.”

St-Hubert BBQ may ditch Canadiens after controversial draft choice

  St-Hubert BBQ may ditch Canadiens after controversial draft choice One of Quebec’s best-known companies is reflecting on whether to continue advertising with the Montreal Canadiens following the team’s controversial decision to draft Logan Mailloux. Mailloux, 18, asked that no NHL team draft him this year after it was revealed he had shown teammates a photo, taken without consent, of a young woman engaging in a sexual act with him while he was living in Sweden last year. “This choice surprised us, and we are evaluating if we’re going to continue our partnership with them,” said Josée Vaillancourt, the company’s director of public relations. “In 2021, with everything we have seen, with all the movements, we were actually surprised.

The backlash to the Canadiens selecting Mailloux was immediate and has continued throughout the week. The decision has been criticized by groups helping women who have experienced sexual violence and by politicians, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau .

While he was playing hockey in Sweden last year, Mailloux sent some of his teammates a photo, taken without consent, of a young woman engaging in a sex act with him. After the woman complained to Swedish authorities, Mailloux, who was 17 at the time, was charged with defamation and offensive photography. He paid a fine worth $2,100.

After news of the incident was reported, Mailloux said he didn’t deserve to be selected in this year’s NHL draft and asked that he not be picked. Several teams reportedly dropped him from consideration, but the Canadiens selected him anyway .

After staying silent on the matter, Molson released a statement on Wednesday to apologize for the pick.

Trudeau says Canadiens' selection of Logan Mailloux shows 'lack of judgment'

  Trudeau says Canadiens' selection of Logan Mailloux shows 'lack of judgment' MONTREAL — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday he's not happy with the Montreal Canadiens' draft selection of a player convicted of a sex-related offence. "As a lifelong Habs fan, I have to say I am deeply disappointed by the decision. I think it was a lack of judgment by the Canadiens organization," Trudeau told reporters in Moncton N.B. "I think they have a lot of explaining to do, to Montrealers and to fans from right across the country." The Canadiens chose Logan Mailloux in the first round of the NHL draft on July 23.

“We gave Logan a second chance but in doing so, we failed to properly assess the impact of our decision on the victim and on anyone who has suffered in similar circumstances,” Molson said.

Mailloux won’t take part in the Canadiens rookie camp this summer or its main training camp this fall.

jfeith@postmedia.com

Related

Canadiens owner Geoff Molson finally addresses Mailloux draft pick .
It took five days, but Canadiens owner/president Geoff Molson finally came forward Wednesday and addressed his team’s decision to select Logan Mailloux in the first round of the NHL Draft last Friday. The 18-year-old defenceman had released a statement last Tuesday saying he had renounced himself from the draft, adding he hadn’t earned and didn’t deserve the privilege of being selected after secretly photographing an 18-year-old woman engaged in a sexual act with him while in Sweden last year and sharing the picture and her identity with his SK Lejon teammates. Mailloux was charged with defamation and offensive photography and was fined approximately US$1,650.

usr: 1
This is interesting!