Health & Fit Women Say This Hair Product Has Caused Bald Patches and Open Sores
The Supplements That Can Actually Help With Diet and Weight Loss—and the Ones That Can't
The Supplements That Can Actually Help With Diet and Weight Loss—and the Ones That Can'tNew year, new supplement routine? If you’ve started 2018 with a diet or exercise plan that involves vitamins, herbs, shakes, or pills, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has a message for you: Check the research first. Not all weight-loss supplements or fitness supplements have been shown to work, experts say, and some may even be dangerous.
The company behind the hair care line vehemently denies the charges.
Hair loss and other hair damage are the last things you expect to happen after using a shampoo. But several women are blaming hair loss, hair thinning, and scalp damage on, according to a report by Las Vegas station .
Heather Fox, Amber Alabaster, and Amber Thomas were named by KTNV as three of the customers who have come forward. Thomas tells Health she used a shampoo from Monat's Junior line on her 2-year-old son, which caused serious damage.
This Is What Lindsay Vonn Eats to Stay in Such Good Shape
The U.S. Olympic skier is keen on putting cheese on her knees, but isn't too eager to actually eat it.With the Olympics fast approaching, we’re eager to get our hands on our favorite athletes’ top performance tips and tricks. Lucky for us, U.S. skier Lindsey Vonn’s personal chef revealed to us her go-to snack.
Minoxidil 5% Rogaine for women in Ukraine
“Immediately on applying the shampoo my son started screaming so I started rinsing it out of his hair,” she says. “At that time chunks of hair was falling out. I immediately dried him off and rushed him to the doctors. His scalp was red and blistered. My doctor took pictures and documented everything.”
Thomas showed Health a copy of a letter from her doctor, which detailed symptoms such as “abrupt and acute hair loss which occurred immediately upon applying the Monat brand shampoo. He has no underlying medical condition to explain hair loss nor is this a part of normal childhood development."
Health reached out to the physician's office, which was unable to verify the authenticity of the letter, citing confidentiality guidelines.
6 Sneaky Ingredients That Are Really Just Added Sugar
Trying to cut back on added sugar? It may require a little more sleuthing than you think.Trying to cut back on added sugar? It may require a little more sleuthing than you think. That's because the sweet stuff is hiding in countless foods (from soup to tomato sauce!) under sly aliases like "brown rice syrup" and "evaporated cane juice." But with some basic knowledge of food label lingo, you can start picking out those sneaky ingredients—and slashing your daily intake. From now on, whenever you pick up a packaged product, turn it over and scan the label for any of the code words below.
Fox tells Health she experienced severe breakage after using a Monat shampoo and had to cut several inches of damaged hair. The product also changed the texture of her hair from naturally curly to straight, she says. When she told her Monat Market Partner, the title the company uses for their brand representatives who sell their products, the partner replied to Fox that her damage was part of a “detox” process and that she should continue using it for 90 days.
”She said my broken hair was new growth,” Fox says. “My hair continued to get shorter, thinner, weaker, and more brittle and dry.”
Last November, Alabaster shared a series of before and after photos on Facebook, where she told her own story. After she used Monat products, she described her hair as extremely dry and thinning, and that she also had an irritated scalp.
Why you should never sleep with your hair in a ponytail
Breakage can occur when you sleep with a ponytail in. Instead, you might want to try a scrunchie or just leave your hair down.When I was a kid, a classmate of mine had perfectly straight hair that I was infinitely jealous of. Not understanding that it was how her hair naturally fell, I asked her what she did to get perfectly straight hair. She told me that every night she slept with her hair in a ponytail and that if I wanted straight hair I should too.
While some hair care products have been blamed for hair and scalp damage, the damage can have other causes as well, including nutritional deficiencies, stress, hormonal changes, autoimmune disorders, and overstyling or treating your hair.
After contacting Monat and asking about these claims, Brittany Pillars, a spokeswoman for Monat and a Market Partner in Stillwater, Oklahoma, sent us this statement denying that the products caused the damage.
“I know from my own experience that MONAT products are safe and that there is no scientific or other factual basis for the claims that have been made," the statement explained. "MONAT’s products have undergone independent, clinical testing, and hundreds of thousands of consumers safely use the products every day.”
The statement continued, “I also know that as with any consumer product, some people may develop adverse reactions. When that is the case, they should stop using the product and report their reaction to the company."
In an earlier statement to KTNV, Monat spokesperson Gene Grabowski also denied the women’s claims. “To have this happen in such a short period of time, statistically is impossible,” he stated. “It’s been a real challenge because we have seen the pictures online and we’ve heard the complaints but we haven’t seen any documentation of accuracy of a single one.”
How Getting a Hair Transplant Actually Works
Thinking of getting a hair transplant (often known as "hair plugs")? Here's everything you need to know about the procedure, healing, and costs before you go under the knife.Like most cosmetic procedures, hair transplants are a very personal, private experience. That is, unless you're the self-proclaimed "Human Ken Doll," aka Justin Jedlica. The famous plastic surgery fan recently welcomed cameras into his procedure room at Beverly Hills Hair Restoration, as he had 900 pieces of skin extracted from the back of his head in order to transplant the follicles to other areas.
Gallery: 21 Reasons Why You're Losing Your Hair
- Daily Value for vitamin A is 5,000 International Units (IU) per day for adults and kids over age 4; supplements can contain 2,500 to 10,000 IU.
What to do: This is a reversible cause of hair loss and once the excess vitamin A is halted, hair should grow normally." role="presentation" data-src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-3-of-21-p-overdoing-vitamin-a-containing-supplements-or-medications-can-trigger-hair-loss-acco_950130_.jpg?content=1" src="/img/no_img/content/no_img_content_flip.jpg" lazyload="lazyload" title="Overdoing vitamin A-containing supplements or medications can trigger hair loss, according to the Am... - Getty Images" />
Too much vitamin A
- great sources of protein, including fish, meat, and eggs. If you don't eat meat or animal products, here are the." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-4-of-21-p-if-you-dont-get-enough-protein-in-your-diet-your-body-may-ration-protein-by-shutting_324386_.jpg?content=1" title="If you don't get enough protein in your diet, your body may ration protein by shutting down hair gro... - Getty Images" />
Lack of protein
Male pattern baldness
- hair-damaging beauty regimens." role="presentation" data-src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-7-of-21-p-just-as-pregnancy-hormone-changes-can-cause-hair-loss-so-can-switching-or-going-off-_154841_.jpg?content=1" src="/img/no_img/content/no_img_content_flip.jpg" lazyload="lazyload" title="Just as pregnancy hormone changes can cause hair loss, so can switching or going off birth-control p... - Getty Images" />
- combat stress and anxiety, like getting more exercise, trying, or getting more support if you need it.
Watch the video:" role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-8-of-21-p-emotional-stress-is-less-likely-to-cause-hair-loss-than-physical-stress-but-it-can-h_44665_.jpg?content=1" title="Emotional stress is less likely to cause hair loss than physical stress, but it can happen, for inst... - Getty Images" />
- underactive thyroid gland. This little gland located in your neck produces hormones that are critical to metabolism as well as growth and development and, when it’s not pumping out enough hormones, can contribute to hair loss. Your doctor can do tests to determine the real cause
What to do: Synthetic thyroid medication will take care of the problem. Once your thyroid levels return to normal, so should your hair." role="presentation" data-src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-10-of-21-p-hypothyroidism-is-the-medical-term-for-having-an-a-href-http-www-health-com-health-_579262_.jpg?content=1" src="/img/no_img/content/no_img_content_flip.jpg" lazyload="lazyload" title="Hypothyroidism is the medical term for having an underactive thyroid gland. This little gland locate... - Getty Images" />
Vitamin B deficiency
Autoimmune-related hair loss
- lupus can also cause hair loss. Again it’s a case of mistaken identity: overzealous immune cells attack the hair. Unfortunately, hair loss of this type is “scarring,” meaning the hair will not grow back, says Dr. Hammonds.
What to do: If the hair loss is mild, you might want to try a new hairstyle to camouflage the damage. Short hair, for instance, is stronger than long hair and may hide bald patches better." role="presentation" data-src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-13-of-21-p-other-autoimmune-diseases-such-as-a-href-http-www-health-com-health-gallery-0-20468_256860_.jpg?content=1" src="/img/no_img/content/no_img_content_flip.jpg" lazyload="lazyload" title="Other autoimmune diseases such as lupus can also cause hair loss. Again it’s a case of mistaken iden... - Getty Images" />
- weight loss is ultimately good for you. It’s possible that the weight loss itself is stressing your body or that not eating right can result in vitamin or mineral deficiencies. Loss of hair along with noticeable weight loss may also be a sign of an eating disorder such asor bulimia.
What to do: "Sudden weight loss seems to shock the system and you’ll have a six-month period of hair loss and then it corrects itself,” says Dr. Hammonds." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-14-of-21-p-sudden-weight-loss-is-a-form-of-physical-trauma-that-can-result-in-thinning-hair-th_39351_.jpg?content=1" title="Sudden weight loss is a form of physical trauma that can result in thinning hair. This could happen ... - Getty Images" />
Dramatic weight loss
- Here's How to Deal With Thinning Hair During Chemo." role="presentation" data-src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-15-of-21-p-some-of-the-drugs-used-to-beat-back-cancer-unfortunately-can-also-cause-your-hair-t_117113_.jpg?content=1" src="/img/no_img/content/no_img_content_flip.jpg" lazyload="lazyload" title="Some of the drugs used to beat back cancer unfortunately can also cause your hair to fall out. “Chem... - Getty Images" />
- PCOS) is another imbalance in male and female sex hormones. An excess of androgens can lead to ovarian cysts, weight gain, a higher risk of diabetes, changes in your menstrual period,, as well as hair thinning. Because male hormones are overrepresented in PCOS, women may also experience more hair on the face and body.
What to do: Treating PCOS can correct the hormone imbalance and help reverse some of these changes. Treatments include diet, exercise, and potentially birth control pills, as well as specific treatment to address infertility or diabetes risk." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-16-of-21-p-polycystic-ovary-syndrome-a-href-http-www-health-com-health-gallery-0-20659880-2-00_845881_.jpg?content=1" title="Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is another imbalance in male and female sex hormones. An excess of ... - Getty Images" />
Polycystic ovary syndrome
- rheumatic conditions and some skin conditions), lithium (for), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) including ibuprofen, and possibly .
What to do: If your doctor determines that one or more of your medications is causing hair loss, talk with him or her about either lowering the dose or switching to another medicine." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-17-of-21-p-certain-other-classes-of-medication-may-also-promote-hair-loss-more-common-among-th_6341_.jpg?content=1" title="Certain other classes of medication may also promote hair loss. More common among them are certain b... - Getty Images" />
Antidepressants, blood thinners, and more
- American Academy of Dermatology recommends using conditioner after every shampoo, letting your hair air dry, limiting the amount of time the curling iron comes in contact with your hair and using heat-driven products no more than once a week." role="presentation" data-src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-18-of-21-p-vigorous-styling-and-hair-treatments-over-the-years-can-cause-your-hair-to-fall-out_838545_.jpg?content=1" src="/img/no_img/content/no_img_content_flip.jpg" lazyload="lazyload" title="Vigorous styling and hair treatments over the years can cause your hair to fall out. Examples of ext... - Getty Images" />
- tricks to prevent hair breakage and ways to keep your hair looking." role="presentation" src="/upload/images/real/2018/03/15/slide-20-of-21-p-it-s-not-uncommon-to-see-hair-loss-or-thinning-of-the-hair-in-women-as-they-enter-t_832887_.jpg?content=1" title="It’s not uncommon to see hair loss or thinning of the hair in women as they enter their 50s and 60s,... - Getty Images" />
hair transplantation for men: advice, costs, risks & alternatives .
© provided by Bauer XCEL Media Deutschland KG hair transplantation hair transplantation is a way for men to escape the bald skull. If you can believe the statistics, a whopping 80 percent of all men suffer from hormone-related baldness. One way to escape baldness is hair transplantation.
How I Grew In My Bald Spot | Natural Hair
OPEN ME**** Earlier this year I was dealing with a bald spot that happend dut to wearing wig caps. At one point I honestly didn't think my hair was going to grow back, but Thank God...
Skin Infection or Hotspot on a Dog
A "hotspot" is a combination of an infection, allergic reaction, and self trauma. It may start as a small wound, hive, sting, tight collar, scratch, allergic reaction to food, fleas, pollens,...