Health & Fit The ultimate guide to legalization
How to pick the right hotel chain for you
Despite unprecedented consolidation within the hotel industry in the last few years, there are still several major chains around, each with its own distinct loyalty program. While it can be hard enough for longtime loyalty members to plot out a powerful points strategy with hotels, if you’re new to hotel points altogether, it can feel …For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Welcome to Insider Cannabis, our weekly newsletter where we're bringing you an inside look at the deals, trends, and personalities driving the multibillion-dollar global cannabis boom.
Happy Friday readers,
If you caught the VP debate this Wednesday, you probably heard Sen. Kamala Harris' comment about cannabis decriminalization. This sent stocks soaring the following morning (read Jeremy's coverage), though we shouldn't be surprised considering Harris co-sponsored the MORE Act, a bill to federally legalize cannabis and expunge criminal records, in the Senate.
Choosing the best American Express credit card for you
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information. Choosing the best credit card for your needs is a tricky proposition, especially with so many great options from multiple issuers. Some of the best cards on the market are offered by American Express and its partners. Amex has a card available for pretty …Choosing the best credit card for your needs is a tricky proposition, especially with so many great options from multiple issuers. Some of the best cards on the market are offered by American Express and its partners. Amex has a card available for pretty much anyone, from credit card beginners to casual travelers to road warriors.
It's a strong signal that if Joe Biden wins, the Democratic administration would back cannabis reform.
And cannabis reform is a major subplot of the November 3 election..
Here's what we wrote about this week:
With less than a month to go until the election,executives, investors, and activists are focused on five key states.
To put together this ballot tracker, we tapped a variety of sources to explain the nuances of each state's ballot measures and where polling stands. We relied on analysts from the investment bank Cowen, who generated probabilities for how likely each ballot measure is to pass.
Green tea: an ally against food allergies?
© wenn A new study suggests that drinking green tea may help people with food allergies. Researchers at the University of Shinshu in Japan have found that certain gut microbes can affect the way the immune system responds to certain allergens, and found that the number of flavonoids, a diverse group of phytonutrients, can positively improve bacteria. in the intestine.
The giant medical cannabis company Columbia Care is laying the groundwork to profit from a new wave of cannabis legalization that could be on the horizon. Columbia Care, which operates in 10 states, is building on its medical-roots image by launching a national recreational brand, called Seed & Strain.
Video: Regeneron requests emergency approval for antibody treatment taken by Trump (CNBC)
The move comes less than a month before four states — New Jersey, Arizona, South Dakota, and Montana — will vote on legalizing cannabis for all adults, and amid a backdrop where cannabis brands are gearing up to
Cannabis stocks soared after Sen. Kamala Harris said a Biden administration would decriminalize marijuana at the federal level. Curaleaf, Harvest Health & Recreation, and Aphria are among the top gainers, though the entire sector seems to have been energized by Harris' statement at the debate.
How to maximize your Chase Ultimate Rewards points
There are a few facts of life — never wake a sleeping baby, always say yes to homemade cake, you can never have too much cash in the bank and you can never, ever have too many Chase Ultimate Rewards points. This transferable points currency gives you access to some of the best hotel and …This transferable points currency gives you access to some of the best hotel and airline transfer partners in the business, as well as an easy-to-use travel portal that allows you to cover a wide variety of different travel costs, including car rentals, hotels, flights, tours and activities.
Deals, launches, and IPOs
- Field Trip Health (CSE) on Tuesday.
- Psychedelics company MindMed to establish a Center for Psychedelic Medicine at NYU Langone Health.
- Subversive Capital, a cannabis real estate SPAC, in California, Florida, Ohio and other states. The deal converts Subversive from a SPAC (known as de-SPACing) into a publicly-traded cannabis REIT.
- Pabst Labs launched the in select dispensaries in California. Pabst Labs was founded by a group from the eponymous beer company, which licensed out its name for the cannabis beverage.
- Cannabis company . The all-stock transaction is expected to close before the end of 2020, giving the newly combined company a value of $54 million.
- Guitarist Carlos Santana is , Mirayo by Santana, in partnership with Left Coast Ventures.
- Canadian cannabis company MediPharm Labs with Bain Capital-backed German pharma company STADA. The deal will eventually allow MediPharm to ship its cannabis in Germany and across all of STADA's markets, where laws allow.
- Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker, who has already pardoned over 11,000 individuals for cannabis-related offenses, said on Tuesday that as part of a larger effort to create a "more equitable criminal justice system."
- Vermont Gov. Phil Scott said on Wednesday that the state will finally allow recreational marijuana sales, by allowing a bill passed by Vermont's legislature to take effect without his signature. Vermont legalized cannabis in 2018 for adults over the age of 21 but did not specifically allow commercial sales within the state.
- In other Northeast cannabis news, on Friday morning in Maine after the state legalized marijuana in 2016.
Research and reform
- Using cannabis before surgery could increase pain, require more anesthesia, and complicate recovery, according to research presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists on Monday. The researchers say it's important to let your doctors know if you have used cannabis prior to undergoing a procedure so they can adjust accordingly and that more research is needed.
Chart of the week
In the second quarter of 2020, cannabis prices on Ontario's Cannabis Store (OCS) beat out flower prices on the illicit market for the first time. The drop in prices comes in conjunction with a growing market takeover from the legal market: OCS says that in Q2, legal sales made up 25.1% of the total market, compared to 24.7% in Q1.
The ultimate guide to Amex Membership Rewards
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, regularly updated with new information. American Express issues several dozen different credit cards, including cobranded hotel and airline cards, as well as two editions (personal and business) of the invite-only Centurion card. That’s a dizzying array to choose from, but there are only a handful of publicly available Amex …American Express issues several dozen different credit cards, including cobranded hotel and airline cards, as well as two editions (personal and business) of the invite-only Centurion card.
What we're reading
(The New York Times)
How valuable is the Citi Prestige’s 4th-night free when booking mid-tier hotels though Citi ThankYou? .
Editor’s note: This is a recurring post, updated with current information. Citi is a TPG advertising partner. If you have a Citi Prestige® Card, you’re likely very aware of the changes and cuts to benefits that have plagued the card over the last two years. Even the Prestige’s unique fourth-night free benefit was devalued in …If you have a Citi Prestige® Card, you’re likely very aware of the changes and cuts to benefits that have plagued the card over the last two years. Even the Prestige’s unique fourth-night free benefit was devalued in 2019.