Crime What the Suspect in the Chinatown Murders Says He Remembers From That Night

12:15  18 november  2019
12:15  18 november  2019 Source:   nytimes.com

Body of missing Salvadoran trans activist found

  Body of missing Salvadoran trans activist found The body of a Salvadoran trans activist missing since Tuesday has been found in the northeast of the country, authorities confirmed. Jade Camila Diaz, 27, is the second transgender woman killed in the country in the past 15 days, according to the advocacy group Comcavis Trans, who told local media there have been at least seven LGBT-related murders in 2019. "We regret to inform you that Jade Diaz's body was found in the waters of the Torola River," the Attorney General's Office (FGR) tweeted Saturday.Diaz had been dead for three or four days, the office for the attorney general said.

At a vigil in Chinatown Tuesday night , a Staten Island family remembered Villegas, a father of six and grandfather of 11. The family said Villegas was not homeless but lived in Staten Island and worked as a handyman. They said he liked to be with his friends, and fell asleep in the wrong place at the wrong

He ’s accused of knocking out a 91-year-old man in Chinatown , but the The suspect is at Mount Sinai Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation after prosecutors said he Taylor has a long criminal history including attempted murder and aggravated battery for which he pleaded not guilty by insanity, but

Randy Santos says he remembers walking through Chinatown at 2 a.m. looking for cans and bottles to get the deposit money. He remembers police officers motioning him to stop. He remembers feeling perplexed when they handcuffed him.

Phoenix police shoot armed robbery suspect

  Phoenix police shoot armed robbery suspect No officers were injured in a shooting that occurred near 43rd Avenue and Camelback Road. The shooting occurred around 7:30 p.m., in the area of 4 Police were called to the area and found a man with a knife in a parking lot near a Home Depot and a Carl's Jr. restaurant, Phoenix police Sgt. Mercedes Fortune said.The man refused officers' repeated orders to drop the weapon, and moved toward the officers, prompting an officer to fire her weapon at the suspect, she said.

Sheriff Israel said he could not confirm any ties Mr. Cruz might have had to white nationalists. The suspect ’s Instagram accounts showed guns and hinted at Two Instagram accounts that classmates said belonged to Mr. Cruz were filled with images of weaponry, as well as the hats and bandannas he

He was terrified that, if he reported it, the police would come down on him for his illegal traps. And so, for days, until a braver soul found him , the boy’s body lay cold and rotting, alone in the woods. Wikimedia CommonsThe crime scene where the boy in the box was found. The boy was somewhere

He claims he cannot recall bludgeoning four men to death with a piece of metal.

“I was looking for bottles for cash,” Mr. Santos said in an interview at Rikers Island, where he was jailed awaiting trial for murder. “I needed the money because I was living on the streets and at an abandoned building. That’s all I remember.”

Sign Up For the Morning Briefing Newsletter

Mr. Santos’s claim of a memory lapse, whether truthful or a convenient ruse, did little to clear up the mystery surrounding the motive behind one of the most horrific quadruple murders in New York’s history, a seemingly senseless attack on random homeless men sleeping on sidewalks.

Suspect Shot By Deputies Near East LA School

  Suspect Shot By Deputies Near East LA School The shooting occurred less than a block from Esteban Torres High School. The sheriff’s department told CBS2 it followed a foot pursuit with the suspect. The suspect did at one point jump a fence and run onto the campus, according to a L.A. Unified School District spokesperson.The suspect’s condition and the circumstances leading up the shooting were not confirmed. It’s unclear if any deputies were hurt or if the suspect was armed.There was no word regarding whether the school was on lockdown.

The police said they had tracked in detail the movement of the suspects , who have been charged in the poisoning of a former spy. British investigators used security footage and flight records to track two Russian men who now stand accused of attempted murder in the March attack featuring the

CHICAGO -- Chicago police are investigating a brutal attack in Chinatown that sent a 91-year-old man to the hospital. His family is worried about his recovery. They say he has blood on the brain and doesn’t recognize his Police have not yet said what the suspect ’s motivation was in attacking Wong.

The case has highlighted cracks in the legal and social services systems that allowed Mr. Santos to roam the streets, even though he had committed several violent assaults before.

His family has blamed mental illness and drug abuse for his violent outbursts, including an attack on his own grandfather. His lawyer, Arnold Levine, did not return a call for comment. Mr. Santos has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors have a strong case. Mr. Santos, 24, was holding a bloody, 15-pound metal bar when he was arrested, and security cameras from local shops recorded him as he sneaked up on the men while they slept and bashed in their heads, according to a criminal complaint.

Shown the video, Mr. Santos told investigators he was the attacker, according to court records.

‘I want to get out of here and have a future’

Before a short interview this week, Mr. Santos strolled to the visiting room decorated with colorful murals of flowers more reminiscent of an elementary classroom than a lockup.

Park ranger stabbed on SF freeway after trying to assist motorist

  Park ranger stabbed on SF freeway after trying to assist motorist An on-duty San Francisco park ranger was stabbed by an enraged motorist Sunday morning in the city’s South of Market neighborhood. According to a San Francisco Police spokesperson, the ranger was in his vehicle when he witnessed a driver yelling at other motorists in the vicinity of the 7th Street off-ramp of I-80 at 7:04 a.m. The ranger followed the suspect vehicle onto the Central Freeway, where the suspect vehicle crashed into the center divider of the connector ramp. The ranger pulled up to offer assistance, at which time the suspect lunged at the ranger with a knife and stabbed him.

The filming of Chinatown had been a fractious business, with Polanski flying into rages with Nicholson. In fact, it's clear how the trick was done if you look closely at Polanski's hand holding the knife, which would have had a reservoir of fake blood in the handle and a tube out of sight to deliver it.

“I remember seeing the shrapnel from the tables, whatever he hit, I remember seeing the shrapnel go He and his friends went to a back door in the classroom, which leads to a small courtyard, but The governor said that the suspect had offered few clues that he would carry out a massacre of such

“I don’t understand the charges or why I am here,” Mr. Santos said. “No one has explained them to me.” He blamed a language barrier for his confusion; he speaks only Spanish.

The night of the murders, Mr. Santos said, he recalled making his way downtown from an abandoned building in the Bronx where he had been staying. But the rest of the night, he said, was a blur.

Mr. Santos, wearing a tight brown jail jumpsuit, folded his hands and spoke softly and matter-of-factly about his goals once he is freed. He seemed unaware that if he is convicted he faces life in prison, and talked matter-of-factly about his goals once he is freed. “I take every class and activity they offer me here,” he said. “I want to educate myself. I try to stay active, occupied.”

a man and a woman standing in a room: Nazario A. Vazquez, 54, who was killed in the attacks, had befriended homeless men in Chinatown while waiting for buses, his daughter said.© Provided by The New York Times Company Nazario A. Vazquez, 54, who was killed in the attacks, had befriended homeless men in Chinatown while waiting for buses, his daughter said.

He added: “I want to get out of here and have a future. I want to marry. I want to have children.”

‘I knew he was going to hurt other people’

Mr. Santos’s stated desire to better himself seems at odd with his recent history. Over the last two years, Mr. Santos was given several chances by the criminal justice system to turn his life around. He had avoided long stints in jail and had been offered counseling, despite charges that he groped or assaulted several people.

Man Arrested In Brutal 1980s Killings Of 2 Women In Burbank, Montclair Thanks To DNA Evidence

  Man Arrested In Brutal 1980s Killings Of 2 Women In Burbank, Montclair Thanks To DNA Evidence It’s the first time investigative genetic genealogy has been used to make an arrest in L.A. County.According to Burbank police, Horace Van Vaultz Jr. was taken into custody Thursday morning in Inglewood in the 1981 murder of 20-year-old Selena Keough in Montclair, and the 1986 murder of 22-year-old Mary S. Duggan in Burbank.

Mr. de Blasio said he had met with the officers’ families, including Officer Ramos’s 13-year-old son Late Saturday night , President Obama condemned the “ murder of two police officers in New York City Earlier on Saturday, law enforcement officials said , Mr. Brinsley shot his former girlfriend in the

Murder suspect Christopher Allen Bell avoided the gaze of his victim’s family in court today, where his lawyer told the court he ’s been psych tested. A man charged with murdering his girlfriend — found dead in a laneway in Melbourne’s Chinatown — has undergone psychiatric assessment.

Andrea Dazio, a 48-year-old investment banker from Milan, said he knew Mr. Santos would be a danger to others if he were not jailed.

Mr. Santos had attacked Mr. Dazio on Dec. 28, 2017, as he rode a subway train with his wife, Mirjana, and two children, breaking a bone under Mr. Dazio’s eye and opening cuts that required 22 stitches to close.

“I saw what he could do, such violence, such an explosion of rage,” Mr. Dazio said. “Nobody took care of this guy when they had the time.”

Mr. Dazio said Mr. Santos started staring at him and his family when they got on an F train at Avenue U in Brooklyn. “I can still picture his glance, so menacing,” he recalled.

For nearly an hour, Mr. Dazio took playful photos and videos of the family’s ride to Manhattan, incidentally capturing Mr. Santos sitting next to his wife, and two sons.

“He was mumbling and he was looking at me, but I really didn’t care,” Mr. Dazio said. “We were just smiling. We were on vacation.”

As the train approached Union Square, Mr. Santos abruptly stood up and yelled, “Why are you talking about me?” Mr. Dazio said. Then, Mr. Santos punched Mr. Dazio in the face, causing him to collapse on the seats. “I was bleeding all over the car, like I was hit by a truck,” Mr. Dazio said.

Mr. Santos grinned and sat down again, as Mr. Dazio’s wife took the boys to the other side of the train, Mr. Dazio said.

Suspected Daytona Beach serial killer indicted in 3 cases as surviving victim comes forward

  Suspected Daytona Beach serial killer indicted in 3 cases as surviving victim comes forward A man suspected of killing multiple women in Daytona Beach between 2005 and 2007 has been indicted by a Volusia County grand jury in three murders. State Attorney RJ Larizza announced the indictments of Robert Hayes on Thursday and also said a woman who survived an attack came forward after seeing media coverage of his arrest in September. Sign up for our Newsletters Hayes was a student Bethune-Cookman University at the time of the Daytona Beach serial killings and purchased the same kind of gun used in the murders, at a local gun shop.Hayes was recently identified as the suspect in the murder of a woman in Palm Beach County in 2016 through DNA and genetic genealogy.

State trooper shoots, wounds carjacking suspect in Chinatown . A state trooper shot and wounded a teenage boy who was inside a stolen vehicle Saturday night in Chinatown on the South Side, the Illinois State He ran away.” Both men said they saw a trooper fire at the SUV and shatter a window.

They say the fact that he was healthy and vibrant before the attack has helped, but he facing a long recovery. Cook County sheriff’s deputy Eddie Garcia was working in the area of the attack with the sheriff’s “work alternative” program Tuesday around noon when he saw the suspect standing over

It took four police officers to arrest Mr. Santos after the train had stopped, Mr. Dazio said. Hours later, a judge set him free.

“They treated it like a fight between brothers fighting for a piece of cake,” Mr. Dazio said. “How could they let him walk free? I knew he was going to hurt other people.”

Mr. Dazio said he told prosecutors he was willing to return to New York to testify against Mr. Santos but was never called. The Manhattan district attorney’s office said the case was dismissed and sealed.

A violent history

The attack on Mr. Dazio was not an isolated incident.

Around the same time, Mr. Santos’s mother had kicked him out of her Bronx apartment after he assaulted his grandfather during an argument, his family said. An aunt said she later tried to persuade Mr. Santos to go to a drug rehabilitation clinic — he had been depressed and abusing drugs that made him paranoid, she said — but he balked at the idea of being unable to leave the facilities when he wanted.

A year ago, Mr. Santos was arrested on charges he choked and bit a 55-year-old man at a Manhattan employment agency. Four days later, he was accused of punching a man riding the Q train, officials said.

In March, a 19-year-old woman told the police he groped her buttocks during a stay in a Queens shelter. Then in May, Mr. Santos, in a fit of rage, punched a 24-year-old at Brooklyn shelter, officials said.

Mr. Santos is scheduled to respond to the groping charge and a Brooklyn fare evasion theft charge in December and January, officials said.

In most cases, he was released because the victims either declined to press charges or stopped cooperating, law enforcement officials said.

NYPD puts a name to final victim in massacre of homeless men in Chinatown

  NYPD puts a name to final victim in massacre of homeless men in Chinatown Authorities have finally identified the last victim of October’s horrific massacre in Chinatown that took the lives of four homeless men. Florencio Moran Camano, 39, will be buried in Mexico, officials said Saturday. He was officially identified earlier this week after investigators found his brother. Florencio Moran Camano, 39, will be buried in Mexico, officials said Saturday. He was officially identified earlier this week after investigators found his brother.

Ms Gleeson said every woman’s life was important and that society has “trained people to care about victims of family violence less than those who are victims of a stranger in the street” but “we will gather in silence for every last one of them”. “We don’t accept these women’s deaths as inevitable,” she added.

He was arraigned on Wednesday night in Bronx Criminal Court on a murder charge in the death of the stranger, Wai Kuen Kwok, 61, a father of two and an immigrant from Hong Kong who had been heading to Chinatown with his Neighbors remembered him chain-smoking outside several months before.

In two cases, a judge gave him a chance to avoid jail time if he enrolled in counseling programs. Mr. Santos, however, never signed up for the programs and, after he skipped a court date for the groping charge, warrants were issued for his arrest.

Police officers then picked Mr. Santos up on a warrant over the summer. He was sent to Rikers Island but released in August after the Bronx Freedom Fund, a charity that posts bail for poor people charged with low-level offenses, put up $1,000.

A week before the Chinatown rampage, Mr. Santos attacked a 38-year-old homeless man sleeping in a park on the riverside near the High Line, beating him with a stick and trying to throw him over a barricade and into the river, the police said.

Asked about his previous arrests for assault and his decision not to attend court-ordered counseling, Mr. Santos shrugged.

“I’ve had a complicated life,” he said. Then he ended the interview.

‘It took four murders to keep him behind bars’

Maria Guadalupe Vazquez, 32, said her father, Nazario A. Vazquez, 54, who was among the four men killed in Chinatown, might still be alive today if Mr. Santos had been convicted in one of the previous assaults.

“It took four murders to keep him behind bars,” Ms. Vazquez said.

Five years ago, Mr. Vazquez had left his wife and five children behind in a small hamlet about 40 miles southeast of Mexico City to come to live with his daughter on Staten Island. He found work at restaurants and cleaning boats — “any place that would hire him,” his daughter said.

But he also befriended homeless men in Chinatown while waiting for buses that took him to out-of-state casinos, she said. It was not unusual for him to disappear for days at a time.

“Some days I would call him worried, ‘Dad, where are you?’” Ms. Vazquez recalled. “He would say, ‘Don’t worry daughter, I’m O.K.’”

Before his murder, Mr. Vazquez had made plans to return his home in San Juan Tehuixtitlán in December. “He was tired,” Ms. Vazquez said. “He said, ‘Hija, I lived all the years that I were meant to live here. It’s time to go back.’”

In October, Mr. Vazquez was buried in his hometown.

“My mother and brothers could not wait for my father to return,” she said, weeping. “Just not like this, not in a casket.”

Family of teen wounded in shootout with Des Plaines bank robbery suspect to file lawsuit against surviving suspect .
Family of teen wounded in shootout with Des Plaines bank robbery suspect to file lawsuit against surviving suspect

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 3
This is interesting!