•   
  •   

Cars Will the Geneva Motor Show be cancelled due to Coronavirus?

11:26  27 february  2020
11:26  27 february  2020 Source:   motoringresearch.com

2020 Geneva Motor Show cancelled due to coronavirus

  2020 Geneva Motor Show cancelled due to coronavirus Geneva cancelled after Swiss Government announces ban on major gatheringsThe Swiss Government announced the ban on Friday morning. It will remain in place until at least Sunday 15 March but could be in place much longer, depending on the spread of the virus. Organisers have stressed that the 2020 show is cancelled rather than postponed, due to the sheer scale of the event.

The organisers of next month’s Geneva motor show say they are monitoring the situation but their show is going ahead as planned. “With due regard to the safe and healthy environment in Barcelona, MWC is cancelled because of global concern over the coronavirus outbreak,” said a

After coronavirus threatened to throw MWC into chaos, the GSM Association (GSMA), which organizes the show , has now cancelled it. Bloomberg reports that GSMA CEO John Hoffman said the coronavirus outbreak has made it “impossible” to hold the event.

a group of people standing in front of a crowd: Geneva Motor Show © Provided by Motoring Research Geneva Motor Show

The organisers of the Geneva Motor Show have confirmed that, for now, the show will go ahead as planned, between the 5th and 15th of March 2020. A review followed concerns over the spread of Coronavirus, as the first case has been confirmed in Switzerland.

The show, however, isn’t out of the woods yet, as the review will continue with every new case of the virus. Exhibitors are also questioning whether the show is worth the risk.

For context, the International Exhibition of Inventions, also planned for the Palexpo facility in Geneva, has been cancelled. It was due to take place on March 25. A key difference here, however, is the level of Chinese participation.

Geneva Motor Show hangs in balance as coronavirus crisis deepens

  Geneva Motor Show hangs in balance as coronavirus crisis deepens Geneva Motor Show organisers have said the event will still be going ahead as planned, despite the deepening coronavirus crisis cancelling a technology show in Europe. Yesterday, the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, which attracts 100,000 visitors from across the world, was cancelled, the first time the show had been called off in 33 years. Organisers blamed the coronavirus outbreak. Now, organisers of arguably Europe’s most important car show – which attracts 600,000 visitors – have admitted they are carefully monitoring the coronavirus outbreak on an “hour-by-hour” basis.

The organisers of the Geneva International Motor Show say the show is currently set to open its doors in two weeks, although they are “carefully monitoring” the coronavirus situation. A press spokesperson from the Geneva show said that “the current situation in Switzerland is rather reassuring” as “none of

The Coronavirus , or Covid-19 is hitting economies near and far. The world's largest telecommunications event, the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, has been cancelled after several big-name companies pulled out due to Coronavirus fears. The cancellation will have a massive

No-shows at Geneva 2020

a group of people standing in front of a crowd posing for the camera: Crowds at the Geneva Motor Show © Provided by Motoring Research Crowds at the Geneva Motor Show
  • Geneva Motor Show 2020 preview

That the show is going ahead doesn’t  mean all who were due to attend will go. Exhibitors are assessing the risks, with many already announcing absences.

Chinese mobility company Aiways said it would not be debuting its U6ion electric crossover concept at the show as previously planned. The model will be revealed to the media at Geneva ‘via alternative means’. A press conference is due on stand 2121 in Hall 2 on Tuesday 3 March at 13:15. For now, however, the marque does plan to be there to show off the production version of its U5 model.

CEOs from Ferrari and Brembo will also not attend, although the marques themselves should be present. Brembo’s CEO Daniele Schillaci has elected to stay away, given the escalating severity of the disease in Italy. “We believe that protecting people’s health is a priority in the current fast-changing environment,” a spokesman said. So far, there have been 374 confirmed cases in Italy.

New York motor show postponed until August

  New York motor show postponed until August Show is latest victim of coronavirus, which is having widespread effects across car industryNew York is one of the hardest hit areas for coronavirus cases in America so far, with 173 confirmed cases as of last night.

The organisers of the Geneva motor show , one of Europe’s premier motoring events, have confirmed the event is still due to take place as scheduled despite the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus . Concerns over the spread of the Covid-19 virus, which originated in China, led to the cancellation of

The organisers of the Geneva motor show , one of Europe’s premier motoring events, say they are "carefully observing" the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus – but the event is still due to take place as scheduled. Concerns over the spread of the Covid-19 virus, which originated in China, led to the

Ferrari’s CEO Louis Camilleri is said to not be going due to the fact that Ferrari isn’t expected to have any debuts at the show, and therefore his presence isn’t warranted. Its three chiefs of marketing, design and technology will, however, be going.

Harman, an automotive technology supplier, has pulled out of exhibiting in response to the disease, to protect the safety and wellbeing of its employees.

Some attendees and exhibitors could simply be deterred from attending because of the furore around the virus. The risk of quarantine and being detained is very real, alongside the risk of contracting the disease.

Geneva and Coronavirus: health advice issued

a car driving on a city street filled with lots of traffic: Geneva Motor Show crowds © Provided by Motoring Research Geneva Motor Show crowds
  • Czinger 21C revealed: next-level hypercar revs to 11,000rpm

While the show is to go ahead, some strict advice has been given out to those planning to attend. Those who have showed symptoms within 14 days of the date they plan to go have been asked to stay at home.

New Hyundai i30 facelift teased ahead of Geneva reveal

  New Hyundai i30 facelift teased ahead of Geneva reveal Revamped Volkswagen Golf rival is set to gain bolder styling and upgraded infotainmentThe Korean firm has revealed a single image of the car’s front end in sporty N Line trim, showing a revamped grille, restyled bumpers and new LED headlights. Hyundai says the changes are intended to give the Volkswagen Golf rival “a stronger, sharper look and more visual appeal”.

Coronavirus counter with new cases, historical data, and info. Daily charts, graphs, news and updates. The novel coronavirus COVID-19 is affecting 37 countries and territories around the world and 1 international conveyance (the "Diamond Princess" cruise ship harbored in Yokohama, Japan).

Feb.12 -- The wireless industry scrapped its biggest annual showcase after the coronavirus outbreak sparked an exodus of participants, roiling telecom companies just as they’re preparing to roll out new 5G services. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports on "Bloomberg Markets."

Show managing director Olivier Rihs has confirmed that the decision to close the show could be taken at any point up to, and during, its opening.

“The advice from the authorities here in Geneva is that the show can continue – and they are the only ones who can say yes or no to the show going ahead,” he said.

‘Caught on the horns of a dilemma’

Commenting on the ongoing situation, automotive editor at GlobalData, David Leggett, said that “The organisers of the Geneva International Motor Show are caught on the horns of a dilemma. Issuing health advice for exhibitors and attendees is undoubtedly the responsible thing to do, but it draws attention to the rising level of risk as the crisis spreads in Europe.

“The public health crisis caused by the COVID-19 outbreak has hit home this week with whole towns quarantined in northern Italy and the first case confirmed in Switzerland.

“This public health crisis is fast-moving and the authorities in Switzerland could yet decide that the risks are too great in allowing such a large show, with many international exhibitors and attendees, to take place.”

Matt Prior: Why axing Geneva could have long-term impact .
Coronavirus has forced one of the world's largest motorshows to pull the plug, but news will flow regardlessGeneva is worried about us catching a virus. Other motorshows, like the British one we don’t have any more and the formerly massive biennial Frankfurt one, are suffering their own malaise.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!