Entertainment HBO Max removes 'Gone With the Wind,' will add context
No start of the wind turbines: Court does not want to create facts in Dahlem IV
© picture alliance / dpa (symbolic picture). Three wind turbines in the Dahlem IV wind farm are not allowed to go into operation for the time being. This was decided by the 6th Chamber of the Administrative Court in Aachen (VG). This is an interim order in the current urgent procedure. 2017, the Nature Conservation Association (Nabu) had already stopped construction for 32 months. The court found errors in the approval process.
NEW YORK (AP) — HBO Max has temporarily removed “Gone With the Wind” from its streaming library in order to add historical context to the 1939 film long criticized for romanticizing slavery and the Civil War-era South.
Long-running US TV show 'Cops' is axed after 31 years on screen
Cops, the true-crime docu-series that has run on US TV for 31 years, has been axed by the Paramount Network in the wake of the worldwide Black Lives Matter protests. The show was pulled from screens following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis while in police custody on May 25. Now the network has confirmed that it has no plans to bring it back. Read more: HBO pulls Gone With The Wind from streaming platform “Cops is not on the ParamountThe show was pulled from screens following the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis while in police custody on May 25.
Protests in the wake of George Floyd's death have forced entertainment companies to grapple with the appropriateness of both current and past productions. On Tuesday, the Paramount Network. The BBC also removed episodes of “Little Britain," a comedy series that featured a character in blackface, from its streaming service.
In an op-ed Monday in the Los Angeles Times,arguing that it “romanticizes the Confederacy in a way that continues to give legitimacy to the notion that the secessionist movement was something more, or better, or more noble than what it was — a bloody insurrection to maintain the ‘right’ to own, sell and buy human beings.”
HBO Max temporarily removes Gone with the Wind over 'racist depictions'
Gone with the Wind is gone from HBO Max — at least temporarily. WarnerMedia's streaming service announced this week the classic 1939 Civil War film has been removed from its platform amid the ongoing protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd, CNN reports. "Gone with the Wind is a product of its time and depicts some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that have, unfortunately, been commonplace in American society," a spokesperson for HBOWarnerMedia's streaming service announced this week the classic 1939 Civil War film has been removed from its platform amid the ongoing protests sparked by the killing of George Floyd, CNN reports.
In a statement, the AT&T-owned WarnerMedia, which owns HBO Max, called “Gone With the Wind” “a product of its time” that depicts racial prejudices.
"These racist depictions were wrong then and are wrong today, and we felt that to keep this title up without an explanation and a denouncement of those depictions would be irresponsible,” said an HBO Max spokesman in a statement.
The company said that when “Gone With the Wind” returns to the recently launched streaming service, it will include “historical context and a denouncement of those very depictions, but will be presented as it was originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."
Based on a 1936 book by Margaret Mitchell, “Gone With the Wind” is a historical epic about a romance between Scarlett O’Hara (Vivien Leigh), the daughter of a Georgia plantation owner, and Rhett Butler (Clark Gable), a gambler who joins the Confederacy.
“Gone With the Wind” has long been denounced for featuring slave characters who remain loyal to their former owners after the abolition of slavery. It remains the highest-grossing film of all time when adjusted for inflation. It won eight Academy Awards including best picture and best supporting actress for Hattie McDaniel, the first black actress to be nominated or win an Oscar.
Carlos Ruiz Zafon, writer of the unforgettable Shadow of the Wind, died at the age of 55 .
© SIPA Carlos Ruiz Zafon, writer of the unforgettable Shadow of the Wind, died at the age of 55 Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Spanish writer and screenwriter, died at the age of 55 in Los Angeles. We owe him, among other things, the best-seller L'Ombre du Vent. Sad news for the millions of readers that his novels had carried. The Spanish writer Carlos Ruiz Zafon, born in 1964 in Barcelona, died on Friday June 19 in Los Angeles, where he had lived since 1993.