Entertainment ITV backlash as Viewpoint airs despite sexual misconduct allegations against Noel Clarke
All you need to know about ITV's new drama Viewpoint
A brand new ITV drama is hitting our screens on Monday evening – here's all there is to know about Viewpoint…
aired their new thriller Viewpoint over consecutive nights with Noel, 45, starring in the leading role as surveillance officer, DC Martin King. An hour before the penultimate episode aired, it was announced the actor had been suspended by Bafta following allegations made in a Guardian article in which 20 women accused Mr Clarke of groping, harassment and bullying. Taking to Twitter, viewers were not impressed with the drama continuing to broadcast in the face of such news.
Discussion on the social media platform before the episode aired had already been questioning whether the fourth instalment would be broadcast.
Viewpoint fans are saying same thing about this character in episode two
The new ITV drama has got viewers at home discussing in one character in particular…
However, once those at home discovered the schedule had not been changed, they shared their fury with one writing: "So @ITV are showing it! Not a good look is it #Viewpoint."
Another posted: "Why are @ITV still showing #Viewpoint? Surely you have to pull the programme," with a third commenting: "Totally wrong decision for @itv to be showing #Viewpoint."
"Incredibly crass decision to broadcast this #Viewpoint," a fourth remarked with a fifth stating: "Well this is uncomfortable #Viewpoint."
A sixth shared: "Very awkward about showing #Viewpoint tonight. I want to see what happens but doesn't seem right somehow."
Express.co.uk has contacted ITV for comment.
Noel Clarke suspended by Bafta after misconduct allegations
He accepted the outstanding British contribution to cinema award earlier this month.The academy said in a statement it had also suspended his outstanding British contribution to cinema award, which he was handed earlier this month at the Royal Albert Hall, until further notice.
Mr Clarke strongly denies the allegations made against him, explaining: "In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.
"If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.
"I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations."
Bafta explained their decision to suspend Mr Clarke in a statement which read: "In light of the allegations of serious misconduct regarding Noel Clarke in The Guardian, BAFTA has taken the decision to suspend his membership and the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award immediately and until further notice."
MORE TO FOLLOW...
BAFTA defends decision to present Noel Clarke with outstanding contribution to cinema award .
BAFTA has defended its decision to present Noel Clarke with its outstanding British contribution to cinema award - and said calls for board resignations are inappropriate. © Associated Press Noel Clarke was honoured with a special BAFTA award in April - but the prize and his membership were taken away after the allegations were made public.