•   
  •   

Sport Conor McGregor's lightweight title up for grabs if he doesn't defend it soon, says Dana White

16:35  05 january  2018
16:35  05 january  2018 Source:   msn.com

Conor McGregor plays down retirement talk, says will continue fighting 'as long as I am healthy'

  Conor McGregor plays down retirement talk, says will continue fighting 'as long as I am healthy' UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has revealed that he will keep fighting as long as he is healthy and has not accrued too much damage. McGregor's last appearance in the octagon came back in November 2016 when he defeated Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 to become a simultaneous two-weight champion.However, the Irishman has not featured in MMA since, having entered the world of boxing in August when he took on Floyd Mayweather in one of the most highly-talked about fights in recent memory.

UFC president Dana White addressed the state of the lightweight division and a timetable for Conor McGregor ’ s return. Ferguson has long called on McGregor to “ defend or vacate” the UFC lightweight belt.

Dana White hasn’ t really cleared up the status of Conor McGregor ‘ s UFC lightweight title ahead of UFC 223. Speaking this week to TMZ Sports, the UFC president said he had already the addressed the title issue at a press conference in Boston for UFC 223 last month.

Conor McGregor Conor McGregor

Dana White insisted that he would allow the lightweight title picture to play out without champion Conor McGregor if the Irishman is not willing to defend his title soon.

Asked if McGregor would be interim champion Tony Ferguson’s next assignment, White claimed that Ferguson might take on Khabib Nurmagomedov if the Irishman doesn’t put pen to paper soon.

McGregor has been embroiled in a social media back and forth with the undefeated Russian since his win over Edson Barboza on Saturday.

The UFC president insisted that if McGregor is out until the second half of the year, he may be forced to allow Ferguson take on Nurmagomedov for the undisputed championship.

Conor McGregor shows off bundle of €100 notes and designer watch in video

  Conor McGregor shows off bundle of €100 notes and designer watch in video The Notorious posted the short clip on Instagram showing him tossing the large amount of bank notes .In the video, he says: “950 in the hand, 980 on the wrist, ‘yup-yaa’.” © Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: @notoriousmma It comes after the UFC star brought his family on a Christmas shopping trip in Dublin.McGregor, his partner Dee, son Conor Jr and sister Erin were spotted in Brown Thomas on Grafton Street earlier this week.The 29-year-old told his sister she could have whatever she wanted in the designer store.

UFC President Dana White says the UFC will not strip featherweight champion Conor McGregor of his title but that he has to defend it or "give it up ." By Jed [email protected] Aug 30, 2016, 8:00am EDT. Share.

If he does, White says the UFC would have to strip McGregor of the belt and are currently looking to book Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov for the real title . If he comes back in September, that' s almost two years that can' t happen." -- @ danawhite . Dana speaks on #UFCSTL, Khabib, Tony and

a man wearing sunglasses posing for the camera: Credits: Rey Del Rio/Getty Images © Provided by Trinity Mirror Plc Credits: Rey Del Rio/Getty Images

“As long as Conor is willing to fight by March, we could do Khabib versus Tony and then the winner fights Conor for the title,” White told Yahoo Sports.

“Of, if Conor wants to sit out until next fall, then we’d have to make Khabib versus Tony for the title, not the interim title.”

White went on to say that the lightweight belt would move on and underlined that both Ferguson and Nurmagomedov have paid their dues to be divisional champions.

“When you’re a professional athlete time is your enemy. We can’t let this thing go on forever and not give other guys the opportunity.

“Tony Ferguson has been around for a long time and has earned his dues. Khabib has earned his dues and the list goes on and on.

“Conor has done well. He’s made a lot of money and if he decides he doesn’t want to fight for however long, that’s up to him. That’s his choice and his decision, but the belt moves on so we’ve got to figure some things out in the next couple of months.”

For more of the most popular News, Sport, Lifestyle & Entertainment on MSN, Follow us on Facebook, and on Twitter

'Conor McGregor should apologise to families of road traffic victims', says grieving mother .
A grieving mother of a young boy who died when he was struck by a car while playing outside the family home has criticised Conor McGregor for recording himself on his phone while driving. Roseann Brennan's six-year-old son Jake died in her arms when he was struck by a car outside the family's home in a cul-de-sac in Kilkenny in 2014.After losing her son in preventable circumstances, Ms Brennan has been working to raise awareness of road safety.Following the tragedy, the brave mother started Jake's Legacy to campaign for lower speed limits on residential roads.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!