•   
  •   

Sport Barkley close to being ready for Chelsea debut, says Conte

20:05  12 january  2018
20:05  12 january  2018 Source:   goal.com

Conte looking to hand Barkley debut quickly

  Conte looking to hand Barkley debut quickly Chelsea manager Antonio Conte is hoping to hand Ross Barkley his debut for the club as quickly as he can. Conte has revealed that Barkley is currently undergoing training sessions with the fitness coach in a bid to speed up his return to full fitness. Barkley is yet to make a senior appearance this season, having been injured for the first-half of the season. Speaking to The Evening Standard, Conte said this: “My hope is to have this player very quickly. On Saturday he started to have a training session with the fitness coach.” “It’s important for me to see him, to understand his physical condition, to improve his physical condition, to work with us, into our ideas.” “From Monday I’ll see him and then we’ll start to prepare a programme, a plan to have him very good.” The midfielder completed a £15m move to Chelsea last Friday from Everton, for whom he was injured for. Chelsea were interested in signing Barkley last summer but the nature of his injury, and Everton’s asking price, seemingly delayed the move until January. Barkley returned to training late last month, but could still take a few weeks before making his debut for Chelsea.

Antonio Conte believes Ross Barkley could be ready to make his Chelsea debut next week in the FA Cup third-round replay against Norwich City. Barkley , who joined Chelsea from Everton last week

Antonio Conte believes Ross Barkley could be ready to make his Chelsea debut next week in the FA Cup third-round replay against Norwich City. Barkley , who joined Chelsea from Everton last week

Ross Barkley - cropped © Provided by Goal Ross Barkley - cropped

Antonio Conte believes Ross Barkley could be ready to make his Chelsea debut next week in the FA Cup third-round replay against Norwich City.

Barkley, who joined Chelsea from Everton last week, is still recovering from a hamstring injury that has prevented him from making a competitive appearance this season.

"He is working very hard and I think that maybe the next game against Norwich, he could be available, in contention," said Conte at a news conference on Friday.

"I hope so. He is not ready 100 per cent, but I think he can start to help us for the rest of the season."

Conte backs Barkley for World Cup

  Conte backs Barkley for World Cup Antonio Conte reveals he wants to help Ross Barkley earn a place in England’s squad for the World Cup in Russia. Barkley completed his move to Chelsea from Everton on Friday, for a fee that Sky sources understand to be £15m plus add-ons.The 24-year-old has not played since May due to a hamstring injury but is nearing match fitness and Conte is hoping that the midfielder can make a rapid return to form in time for the summer tournament."We have five months to show he deserves a call with the national team for the World Cup," Conte said."I hope [he gets one], because it means he will do very well with us.

Antonio Conte believes Ross Barkley could be ready to make his Chelsea debut next week in the FA Cup third-round replay against Norwich City. Barkley , who joined Chelsea from Everton last week

Antonio Conte believes Ross Barkley could be ready to make his Chelsea debut next week in the FA Cup third-round replay against Norwich City. Barkley , who joined Chelsea from Everton last week

Conte also provided an update on the future of Baba Rahman, after Schalke confirmed they were in talks over a loan move for the full-back on Thursday.

"Baba is recovering from an injury and I haven't had the possibility to see him in training with us, only once or twice, but he wasn't ready to have a full training session with us," said Conte.

"Now he's recovering, I think that [Schalke] could be an interesting option for the player, to try to recover with them."

Chelsea face Leicester City in the Premier League on Saturday, with Conte wary of the threat posed by Claude Puel's side.

"I think Leicester is a really good team, a strong team in really good form and for us it will be very difficult," added the Italian, despite the fact the Foxes have won only one of their last seven matches in all competitions.

"Maybe Leicester is the worst team to face in this moment for us."

Chelsea boss Conte warns Mourinho and other rivals: I'm ready to fight .
Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is up for the fight, with rival bosses having taken aim at the Italian this week.This week, Manchester United boss Mourinho was perceived to have taken a dig at Conte and Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp when he stated he prefers to act in a "mature" manner on the touchline, as opposed to "crazy" or like "a clown".

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!