•   
  •   

Sport Golovkin and Alvarez set for September rematch, according to De La Hoya

10:58  14 june  2018
10:58  14 june  2018 Source:   msn.com

Report: UFC pursued Khabib, McGregor, GSP, Diaz tournament

  Report: UFC pursued Khabib, McGregor, GSP, Diaz tournament Report: UFC pursued Khabib, McGregor, GSP, Diaz tournamentThe UFC had a novel idea for getting Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Georges St-Pierre, and Nate Diaz back into the cage: making them fight one another.

The rematch to last September 's highly anticipated showdown between undefeated middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and lineal middleweight champ Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is set for May 5, Cinco de Mayo, it was announced Monday.

Miami (AFP) - Oscar De La Hoya says Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez 's highly anticipated rematch with Gennady Golovkin is close to being finalized and will be driven by increasing animosity between the two fighters.

Canelo Alvarez (left) and Gennady Golovkin (right) attend at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on June 20, 2017. © Brad Barket, Getty Images Canelo Alvarez (left) and Gennady Golovkin (right) attend at The Theater at Madison Square Garden on June 20, 2017.

Unified middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin has accepted a deal for a September rematch against Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, according to the Mexican’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya.

A Wednesday deadline set by De La Hoya appeared to be set to pass with no agreement in place, only for a sudden turn of events late in the evening.

“I’m happy to inform that we have a fight September 15!!!!” De La Hoya tweeted.

Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin shake hands in February 2018 © Provided by AFP Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin shake hands in February 2018 The pair’s first bout last September ended in a controversial draw, with judge Adalaide Byrd’s scorecard of 118–110 in favour of Alvarez widely ridiculed.

A rematch was planned for May, only for Canelo to withdraw after failing two drugs tests for banned substance clenbuterol in February.

Gennady Golovkin, pictured, has agreed to fight Saul Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya has announced (Nick Potts/PA) © Provided by The Press Association Gennady Golovkin, pictured, has agreed to fight Saul Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya has announced (Nick Potts/PA) He claimed it was a result of eating contaminated meat but was forced to withdraw from the original rematch after being given a six-month suspension, backdated to the first failed test on February 17.

Golovkin Stripped Of IBF Title After Failing To Agree Mandatory Challenge

  Golovkin Stripped Of IBF Title After Failing To Agree Mandatory Challenge Gennady Golovkin now holds just the WBA, WBC and IBO middleweight titles after he was stripped of the IBF title on Wednesday.Gennady Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler revealed the WBA, WBC and IBO world middleweight champion was disappointed after he was stripped of the IBF title for failing to face a mandatory challenger.

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya considering his options for middleweight Canelo Alvarez . That would put back Golovkin -Canelo II until September 2018, at the earliest. Alvarez 's rematch with Gennady Golovkin had been expected to take place on May 5, next year.

Golden Boy CEO Oscar De La Hoya told ESPN on Tuesday the proposed rematch between Canelo Alvarez and GGG is off due to the latter's insistence first time since their draw last September , And potentially threatening GGG’s purse. Gennady “GGG” Golovkin rematch next year by predicting a …

However, he is free to box again from August 17 and Golovkin has accepted a reportedly improved offer to stage the rematch.

Boxers Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin take part in a news conference at Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live to announce their upcoming rematch, which could be canceled, on Feb. 27, 2018 in Los Angeles. © Photo: Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images Boxers Canelo Alvarez (L) and Gennady Golovkin take part in a news conference at Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live to announce their upcoming rematch, which could be canceled, on Feb. 27, 2018 in Los Angeles. Golovkin was the holder of three of the major world titles but was recently stripped of the IBF belt after declining to agree to fight mandatory challenger Sergiy Derevyanchenko.

The Kazakh remains the unified WBC and WBA middleweight title holder.

A special message from MSN:

Nine million people across all age groups and walks of life in Britain are affected by loneliness. We've partnered with giving platform Benevity to raise funds for three charities - Mind, the Campaign to End Loneliness, and Wavelength - to tackle this debilitating and complex issue. You can help make a difference - please donate now.

Sweden with chance to take out another big name: Germany .
Sweden outlasted the Netherlands to advance in World Cup qualifying. When the Swedes got to the European playoff round and a chance to reach Russia, they methodically eliminated past champion Italy over two games.At this point, why not knock out another high-profile team — and the pre-tournament favorite at that? © The Associated Press Sweden's Andreas Granqvist, centre, celebrates with teammates after scoring the opening goal during the group F match between Sweden and South Korea at the 2018 soccer World Cup in the Nizhny Novgorod stadium in Nizhny Novgorod, Russia, Monday, June 18, 2018.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!