Sport: David Ortiz was not intended target in shooting, prosecutor says - - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

SportDavid Ortiz was not intended target in shooting, prosecutor says

02:10  20 june  2019
02:10  20 june  2019 Source:   sportingnews.com

Red Sox bringing David Ortiz back to Boston after shooting

Red Sox bringing David Ortiz back to Boston after shooting Red Sox icon David Ortiz, who underwent surgery following a shooting, is on his way back to Boston.

accused of shooting David "Big Papi" Ortiz at a Santo Domingo bar late Sunday claims the Boston Red Sox icon was not his intended target . Dominican police say Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz confessed to shooting Ortiz from point-blank range as part of a nearly ,000 hit job. Mola Lenghi reports.

Dominican journalist Aris Beltre says the shooting has affected the country greatly, saying Ortiz is not only “Big Papi” in the U.S. but back home in the Dominican Republic too. In Boston, Ortiz is still recovering in intensive care. In an Instagram post, his daughter wrote, “I find myself complaining on a

David Ortiz was not intended target in shooting, prosecutor says © Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited

David Ortiz was not the intended target of a shooting in the Dominican Republic on June 9.

Lead prosecutor Jean Alain Rodriguez told reporters at a press conference Wednesday the intended target was one of Ortiz's friends, not the Red Sox great.

“The target of this assassination attempt was not David Ortiz," Rodriguez said. "The target was a friend of David Ortiz’s, who was on the same table.”

David Ortiz shooting: Second suspect reportedly arrested in Dominican Republic

David Ortiz shooting: Second suspect reportedly arrested in Dominican Republic It is not known whether police consider the arrested man the shooter. News of the second arrest broke as the first suspect, Eddy Vladimir Feliz Garcia, was making an initial court apprearance in Santo Domingo. ABC News reported that Feliz Garcia was charged with attempted homicide, criminal association and intentionally causing injury through the use of an illegal firearm. MORE: Players offer well-wishes, support to Big Papi The Boston Globe reported that police wearing helmets and bulletproof vests escorted Feliz Garcia to his appearance before a judge.

Dominican police say Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz confessed to shooting Ortiz from point-blank range as part of a nearly ,000 hit job. In new cellphone video from his holding cell, the man accused of shooting David "Big Papi" Ortiz at a Santo Domingo bar late Sunday claims the Boston Red Sox icon was not

David Ortiz was not the intended target , shooting suspect claims. Nine suspects are already being held for up to a year, and authorities are still looking for at least two others mentioned in the court documents, including the man accused of paying the alleged hit men. Prosecutors say they have

The 43-year-old Ortiz was at a Santo Domingo bar the night of June 9 when a suspect shot him at close range. Thus far, 11 people have been taken into custody in connection with the shooting.

The retired Red Sox star had been listed in "guarded" condition but was upgraded to "good" condition earlier this week. He underwent surgery in the Dominican Republic following the shooting, and doctors removed his gallbladder and part of his intestines. He was then transported to Boston.

Alleged gunman, four others arrested in connection to David Ortiz shooting, authorities say

Alleged gunman, four others arrested in connection to David Ortiz shooting, authorities say Police said the suspects in the shooting had been hired as hit men to kill Ortiz. Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez revealed the suspects were offered 400,000 Dominican pesos (or a little less than $8,000). Almonte showed security camera footage of the shooting and held up a black handgun that was allegedly used in the ambush. According to court documents obtained by the Boston Globe, two men were caught on camera talking in a gray car on a nearby street before they got on a motorcycle to ride towards the bar, where Ortiz was ambushed while out with friends in his native Santo Domingo.

In new cellphone video from his holding cell, the man accused of shooting David “Big Papi” Ortiz at a Santo Domingo bar late Sunday claims the Boston Red Sox icon was not his intended target . Dominican police say Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz confessed to shooting Ortiz from point-blank range as part

In new cellphone video from his holding cell, the man accused of shooting David "Big Papi" Ortiz at a Santo Domingo bar late Sunday claims the Boston Red Sox icon was not his intended target . Dominican police say Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz confessed to shooting Ortiz from point-blank range as part

"(Ortiz) continues to make progress with his recovery in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital," Ortiz's wife, Tiffany, said in a statement released by the Red Sox on Tuesday. “We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston. David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.”

Ortiz was a 10-time All-Star who led the Red Sox to three World Series titles.

David Ortiz shooting was a hit gone wrong, police say.
The retired Red Sox star continues to recover from his injuries there, having been moved out of the intensive care unit. Ortiz was a 10-time All-Star who led the Red Sox to three World Series titles.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!