Sport: Benfica defend Bernardo Silva over Mendy tweet and question FA charge - - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

Sport Benfica defend Bernardo Silva over Mendy tweet and question FA charge

04:55  05 october  2019
04:55  05 october  2019 Source:   goal.com

FA to investigate Bernardo Silva tweet

  FA to investigate Bernardo Silva tweet Bernardo Silva said his tweet to team-mate Benjamin Mendy was a "joke" but the Football Association is to investigate his post.Bernardo Silva tweeted a photo of Mendy as a child alongside a dated image from Spanish confectionary 'Conguitos' that has been condemned for its racist connotations, with the caption: "Guess who?"

Manchester City’s Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association over a tweet to his teammate Benjamin Mendy .

Manchester City's Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association over a controversial social media post comparing teammate Benjamin Mendy On the same day as the tweet that has now resulted in an FA charge , Silva posted: "Can't even joke with a friend these days

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 21: Bernardo Silva of Manchester City looks on during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Watford FC at Etihad Stadium on September 21, 2019 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Tom Flathers/Manchester City FC via Getty Images) © 2019 Manchester City FC MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 21: Bernardo Silva of Manchester City looks on during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Watford FC at Etihad Stadium on September 21, 2019 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Tom Flathers/Manchester City FC via Getty Images)

Benfica have defended their former player Bernardo Silva after the Manchester City star faced criticism for a racially insensitive tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

Silva has been charged by the Football Association (FA) after likening a picture of a young Mendy to the mascot of Spanish confectionery company Conguitos.

Barnes: Silva tweet was not racist

  Barnes: Silva tweet was not racist John Barnes says accusations of racism aimed at Bernardo Silva are "ridiculous" and insists the Manchester City player has done nothing wrong. Silva tweeted a photo on Sunday, which is believed to be Benjamin Mendy as a child alongside a picture of the logo of Spanish confectionery company Conguitos, with the caption "Guess who?"The Football Association is investigating while Kick It Out says the tweet was discriminatory but Barnes disagrees.

Manchester City's Bernardo Silva has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association over a controversial social media post comparing teammate Benjamin Mendy with a black cartoon character. The Portuguese midfielder last month tweeted an image of a young Mendy alongside an image of the

Bernardo Silva has been charged by the Football Association following a social media post regarding Manchester City teammate Benjamin Mendy . Man City manager Pep Guardiola came to the defence of Bernardo Silva over his controversial tweet . (0:44).

The likes of Pep Guardiola, Raheem Sterling and Tiemoue Bakayoko have offered support to the Portugal international, who faces a possible six-match ban if found guilty of racist behaviour by the FA.

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 21:  Sergio Aguero of Manchester City celebrates after scoring his team's second goal with Bernardo Silva and David Silva during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Watford FC at Etihad Stadium on September 21, 2019 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Matt McNulty - Manchester City/Manchester City FC via Getty Images) © 2019 Manchester City FC MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 21: Sergio Aguero of Manchester City celebrates after scoring his team's second goal with Bernardo Silva and David Silva during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Watford FC at Etihad Stadium on September 21, 2019 in Manchester, United Kingdom. (Photo by Matt McNulty - Manchester City/Manchester City FC via Getty Images) Benfica, with whom Silva started his career before moving to Monaco in 2014, initially on loan, have hit out at suggestions that the 25-year-old could be in any way racist.

Sterling defends Silva over Mendy controversy

  Sterling defends Silva over Mendy controversy Raheem Sterling has defended his Manchester City team-mate Bernardo Silva following accusations of racism.Portugal international Silva has faced a backlash this week after comparing a picture of City team-mate Benjamin Mendy as a child to the cartoon logo of Spanish confectionery company Conguitos.

Manchester City playmaker Bernardo Silva is charged with misconduct by the Football Association over a tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy . Manchester City players Benjamin Mendy and Bernardo Silva previously played together at Monaco. Manchester City's Bernardo Silva has been

Silva sent a personal letter of apology to the FA after the incident Silva sent an image of Mendy as a schoolboy alongside a cartoon-like character That was also part of the FA investigation. Guardiola defended Silva at his pre-match press conference on Friday. Silva apologised in a letter to the FA

"Bernardo Silva is a young man who always been distinguished for his simplicity, his character and his good upbringing," Benfica stated in their weekly newsletter, published on the club's official website.

"Wherever he goes, he is always missed and always ensures that the managers and team-mates who deal with him are unanimous in complimenting his happy and spontaneous nature. In Benfica, we are enormously proud of you, Bernardo!

a person in a blue shirt: Bernardo Silva in action for Manchester City © Getty Images Bernardo Silva in action for Manchester City "Turning a simple joke between two team-mates and friends into a tweet with racist intent and opening a misconduct charge demonstrates and signals a disease of our times."

Silva has until October 9 to respond to the FA's charge.

Gallery: The greatest bargains in Premier League history (FourFourTwo)

a man in a newspaper: Everybody loves a bargain – and in our opinion, the 50 transfers here are the shrewdest in Premier League history. But let's clear something up first and foremost: this list is not ordered by playing ability, but perceived value for money. Many of the clubs involved here bought low and sold high. Some found value while their rivals splashed immense sums on comparable players. Others simply enjoyed the talent they bought and were rewarded with years of diligent service. The lucky sides managed all three of those things.So, without further ado…

MSN UK is committed to Empowering the Planet and taking urgent action to protect our environment. We’re supporting Friends of the Earth to help solve the climate crisis, please give generously here or find out more about our campaign here.

Silva given extension to answer FA charge .
Manchester City's Bernardo Silva has been given an extension to answer the FA misconduct charge over his tweet about Benjamin Mendy.The Portugal midfielder now has until Monday, October 21 to respond following an application made to the chairman of the judicial panel.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks
usr: 1
This is interesting!