Sport Women's world championships cancelled due to COVID-19
Halting AZ jab in under-50s would slow UK roll-out by 75%
Vaccine delivery figures from Scotland that were leaked earlier this year show that the British-made jab makes up three-quarters of the UK's supplies - but it is at the centre of growing doubts. The UK's drug regulator is considering suspending the AstraZeneca vaccine in younger Britons over the blood clot fears, which could throw lockdown-easing plans into disarray. Officials have been probing the jab's safety and will unveil their findings in a televised 3pm press conference with England's deputy chief medical officer Professor Jonathan Van-Tam and other top health bosses.
(Reuters) - The women's ice hockey world championships set to be played in Halifax and Truro, Nova Scotia have been cancelled because of a surge in COVID-19 cases in Canada, Hockey Canada said on Wednesday.
The announcement came one day before the 10 teams were to arrive to begin their quarantine ahead of the May 6-16 tournament.
"This is very disappointing news to receive with just a few weeks until the tournament was to begin," said International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel in a statement.
"We strongly believe that we had the adequate safety measures in place. In the end, we must accept the decision of the government."
'I travelled internationally all year without catching Covid'
Travel expert Gilbert Ott, who runs the flight tips site God Save The Points, said in 2020 and 2021 he flew to New York (twice), Santorini, Los Angeles and Palm Springs and remained virus-free. The 34-year-old said: 'I have at least 10 tests to my name as proof, across varying periods of time. Each time I stayed in a hotel or Airbnb and observed quarantine and restrictions in each country.
The IIHF and Hockey Canada were informed by the Nova Scotia provincial government on Wednesday that the 10-country tournament could not go ahead due to safety concerns associated with COVID-19.
Still the news came as a shock after Nova Scotia's chief medical officer had 24 hours earlier given the event the thumbs- up.
"At five o'clock this morning we were full go and at 7:30 am we were not," explained Hockey Canada chief executive officer Tom Renney. "That is the way the world is right now and there is only so much we can control.
"At the end of the day there is a bigger game than the one we play here and quite honestly it is about the safety of the general public."
The cancellation was another blow for the women's game that has endured a number of recent setbacks, including the folding of the Canadian Women's Hockey League.
Gemma Collins admits her dad, 73, is 'not the same man' after Covid
In a new interview, the former TOWIE star, 40, admitted to being distressed by her parent's health troubles, after he was previously diagnosed with coronavirus.In a new interview, the former TOWIE star, 40, admitted to being distressed by her parent's health troubles, after he was previously diagnosed with coronavirus and spent time in hospital.
It was also the second consecutive year the Nova Scotia world championships have been stopped by COVID-19.
"Definitely, a little bit of disbelief, a little shock, a lot of emotion," said Canadian coach Gina Kingsbury, who pulled some players off the ice to deliver the bad news. "This is a group that has been through a lot this past year and two years so they are definitely familiar with disappointing news."
Both the IIHF and Hockey Canada indicated they plan to play the world championships this year, possibly this summer, in Canada.
"Our intention, and that of the IIHF, is to reconnect with this event as a world championship in 2021 in Canada," said Renney. "That's our number one objective. We have every desire to hold this event in Canada."
(Reporting by Steve Keating in Toronto, Editing by Ed Osmond)
Only 1 person in every 1,010 now has coronavirus in England .
A weekly report from the Office for National Statistics today estimated the number of infections in England is lower than at any point since September and has been falling constantly for five weeks. Its data showed that cases were still tumbling in all regions except Yorkshire and the East of England 'where the trends are uncertain'. They also came down in all children and teenagers and people over 35, increasing only in young adults. Health Secretary Matt Hancock tweeted about the numbers and said: 'This data is hugely promising & shows that our strategy is working.