Sport ‘Don’t let him near our great club’ – Many Derby fans react as Erik Alonso speaks out amid takeover doubts
AHEAD OF THE GAME: Lyon and Marseille were offered Super League slots
MATT HUGHES: Lyon, Marseille and Red Bull Leipzig were approached about joining the now defunct European Super League after rejections from PSG, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund. Tournament organisers were eager to recruit 15 foundation clubs ahead of the disastrous launch.Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli claimed last week that several other clubs were desperate to join, but it was the ESL board who made all the running in terms of recruitment, though they did not make any other formal offers in the hope that PSG and Bayern would eventually sign up.
Prospective Derby County owner Erik Alonso has rejected claims that his takeover is in jeopardy, which has drawn an interesting response from fans of the East Midlands club.
Alonso’s agreement to buy the club was announced last month butindicated that it is now in jeopardy.
that alarm bells are ringing inside the club, with suggestions that the takeover will not go ahead and concern over a potential plan to borrow against Pride Park.
The Spaniardto offer his response to those reports, rejecting the suggestion that there were issues with the deal.
Fresh update emerges regarding Erik Alonso's Derby County takeover
He agreed to purchase the club from Mel Morris earlier this monthWhilst the Rams' latest slip-up wasn't punished by Rotherham United or Sheffield Wednesday who also lost at the weekend, they simply have to secure a positive result in their upcoming clash with Swansea City in order to ease their fears of relegation.
“No that is not true,” claimed Alonso. “We will go ahead with the takeover.”
He added: “I don’t know (why there is doubt). Exactly, I don’t know. People can talk but we know the truth.
“We continue and we go ahead.”
Pressed on whether he was going to refinance Pride Park as part of the deal, Alonso said: “No. No. No. I am putting the debt on my name, what I want to do is put the stadium warranty under my name, that’s all. Because I can use that money to buy players.
“The EFL want us to pay the debt from MSD right now but we say no.”
The prospective new Derby owner indicated that he would still go ahead with his takeover even if the Rams were relegated on Saturday.
He said: “Why not? Derby County is bigger than any division, so yes.”
Alonso’s comments have caused a stir among Rams supporters, with many taking to Twitter to share their thoughts.
Derby County players sent financial message amid off-field uncertainty
Derby County’s players have been told they will be paid their wages for April even though Erik Alonso’s takeover still hasn’t been signed off by the EFL. #dcfc players have been reassured they will be paid their full wages on time this Friday, despite delays in Erik Alonso’s takeover. Wages were 4weeks late in December […]#dcfc players have been reassured they will be paid their full wages on time this Friday, despite delays in Erik Alonso’s takeover. Wages were 4weeks late in December whilst Shiekh Khaled takeover was pending; that won’t happen this time-the £1.2m bill will be paid by Morris.
Read their reaction here:
How this man is able to continue to talk absolute RUBBISH to the media is beyond me!
Hopefully the EFL see sense and don’t let him near our great club!!!!
— Kevin. (@RamsMan6)
Do I trust the guy? No, that has to be earned but I'm not gonna slag him off when he's saying all the right things. Fans were lauding about the sheikh after nothing, this guys come out with real ambition!
— Derby Kid (@derbykid14)
I really don’t trust this guy ????
— DerbyGroaner (@DCFCtalk)
Going to be fascinating to see how this turns out… suppose Saturday will be a massive indicator… can’t fault Erik’s commitment though..
— Luke Johal (@LukeyJohal)
— Gem???? (@gempopmoo)
"Derby County is bigger than any division…"
Erik Alonso's Derby takeover in serious JEOPARDY
EXCLUSIVE BY CRAIG HOPE: Sportsmail has been told that alarm bells are ringing inside the club and there is a realisation that the buyout is unlikely to go through. Alonso has provided proof of funds — it is not known if this money belonged to him or an associate — but sources say he does not intend to use that to complete the purchase of the Championship club. © Provided by Daily Mail ( Instead, they claim the Spanish businessman wants to borrow against the stadium.
Come on Erik, you're not fooling anyone with statements like that.
— Alex Fisher (@alexrdfisher)
Hmmmm…still not convinced ..time will tell
— mickymoo dcfc (@michaelbates8)
At least he’s come out and spoke unlike Mel Morris
— Daniel Warren (@danielwarren88)
Fernando Alonso About comeback: "F1 The best thing that was on the table" .
© Motorsport Images Fernando Alonso decided deliberately for a return to Formula 1 The announced return of Fernando Alonso was one of the big ones last summer Stories in the formula 1. Two years the Spaniard took a break from the royal class before he returned officially to the season opener in Bahrain this year. In his wedding Alonso won two World Cup titles in 2005 and 2006 and delivered several World Cup duels with Sebastian Vettel at the beginning of the past decade.