•   
  •   

Sport Carlos Alcaraz opens up on Wimbledon woe as tennis' next big hope after Djokovic and Nadal

08:51  21 july  2022
08:51  21 july  2022 Source:   express.co.uk

Russia's Andrey Rublev shares Ukraine Wimbledon wish as he considers changing citizenship

  Russia's Andrey Rublev shares Ukraine Wimbledon wish as he considers changing citizenship ANDREY RUBLEV reacted to Wimbledon's ban on Russian players like himself, admitting he was considering drastic measures to compete.Rublev was one of the first Russian players to speak publicly about the invasion of Ukraine, writing "no war please" on the camera at the Dubai Championships, an ATP 500 tournament he ended up winning. But the Moscow-born star still found himself banned from Wimbledon earlier this month alongside all other players representing Russia and Belarus.

Carlos Alcaraz admtited he had trouble adjusting at Wimbledon © Getty Carlos Alcaraz admtited he had trouble adjusting at Wimbledon

Carlos Alcaraz has admitted that he struggled with the transition from clay to grass this season, causing his disappointing Wimbledon result. The 19-year-old has been hailed as the heir to the throne when Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic retire following a breakout season that has seen him make his top 10 debut and win four titles, including two Masters.

Alcaraz enjoyed a stunning breakthrough at the start of the season, becoming the youngest man to win an ATP 500 in Rio, before picking up his maiden Masters 1000 in Miami, the Barcelona title and a second Masters crown in Madrid. The Spanish teenager shot into the world's top 10 and immediately became a favourite for the French Open despite never making it past the quarter-final of a Grand Slam.

Great series that got canceled after one or two seasons

  Great series that got canceled after one or two seasons Great series that got canceled after one or two seasons

The world No 6 reached the quarters there and had no tournaments between the second and third Majors of the season, going straight to Wimbledon after an injury forced him out of a warm-up event at the Queen's Club. Playing at the All England Club for just the second time, Alcaraz reached the fourth round before falling to Jannik Sinner, and has now shared his struggle with adjusting to the grass.

"Grass is tough for me because the movement is tough, more difficult than other surfaces," he told TennisHead. It was a career-best result for the teenager at Wimbledon but disappointing for his own expectations, having declared that he thought he was ready to win a Grand Slam before the French Open.

JUST IN: Russian TV host axed for slamming 'weak' co-star over Kasatkina video

Novak Djokovic posts first update after confirming Federer, Nadal and Murray team up

  Novak Djokovic posts first update after confirming Federer, Nadal and Murray team up NOVAK DJOKOVIC has joined the Team Europe squad for this year's Laver Cup.Djokovic joined his "biggest all-time rivals" on the roster for Team Europe as the Laver Cup announced the world No 7 would be making his second appearance at the team competition, taking place at London's O2 Arena from September 23 to 25. The recent Wimbledon champion has now tweeted for the first time since Friday's announcement, showing his excitement to team up with his fellow Big Four members.

Carlos Alcaraz got off to a winning start in Hamburg © Getty Carlos Alcaraz got off to a winning start in Hamburg

"I'm going to compare a long rally [on grass] is like three or four long rallies on another surface," he added. The world No 6 is now back on the clay, competing in the Hamburg ATP 500 but admitted it was also tough to switch surfaces in reverse, from the grass to the dirt.

After winning his first match since Wimbledon over local wildcard Nicola Kuhn, here he was forced to come from a set down, Alcaraz said: "It was tough. I mean, the first round in every tournament is tough.

DON'T MISS

'Sort this out' McEnroe slams Djokovic US Open ban as pressure mounts

Link

Djokovic underlines stance on US Open ban after new tournament list

Link

Novak Djokovic US Open petition nears target as Biden faces pressure

Carlos Alcaraz's first Major quarter-final came at last year's US Open © Getty Carlos Alcaraz's first Major quarter-final came at last year's US Open

"I came from the grass, and the difference was too much. I'm really happy to be [through to] the second round. I'm sure that I will be better in the next round, but I'm really happy with the win."

The next Grand Slam the 19-year-old will be setting his sights on is the US Open, where he managed to stun third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas en route to his first Major quarter-final berth last year, while ranked down at world No 55.

Carlos Alcaraz trumps John McEnroe record and thrashes Federer, Nadal and Djokovic .
CARLOS ALCARAZ has announced himself as tennis' next big star in 2022.Most notably the teenage sensation beat fellow Spaniard Nadal and world No. 1 Djokovic in the space of two days before going on to win the Madrid Open in May. Now, the record books have shown just how remarkable his rise to the top has been in the way of his amount of wins.

usr: 0
This is interesting!