•   
  •   

UK News Sir Cliff Richard arrives to give evidence against BBC in High Court

16:50  13 april  2018
16:50  13 april  2018 Source:   pressassociation.com

Alfie Evans’ parents prepare for new High Court fight

  Alfie Evans’ parents prepare for new High Court fight The couple are seeking to overturn a series of rulings and want their child treated in Germany or Rome.Tom Evans and Kate James, who are in their 20s and from Liverpool, have lost fights over their son Alfie Evans in the High Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights.

Sir Cliff Richard has arrived at the High Court ahead of giving evidence in his case against the BBC . The 77-year-old singer claims coverage of a police raid Lawyers representing South Yorkshire Police are expected to outline their case on Friday, following which Sir Cliff is due to give evidence .

Sir Cliff Richard has won his privacy case against the BBC over its coverage of a police raid on his Speaking outside the High Court in London, the BBC 's director of news and current affairs Fran The judge was also critical of various BBC witnesses who gave evidence . Gary Smith, the BBC 's UK

Sir Cliff Richard arrives with Gloria Hunniford at the Rolls Building in London, to give evidence in a legal battle against the BBC (Dominic Lipinski/PA) © Provided by The Press Association Sir Cliff Richard arrives with Gloria Hunniford at the Rolls Building in London, to give evidence in a legal battle against the BBC (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

Sir Cliff Richard has arrived at the High Court ahead of giving evidence in his case against the BBC.

The 77-year-old singer claims coverage of a police raid on his home following an allegation of sexual assault was a “very serious invasion” of his privacy.

Sir Cliff Richard arrives with Gloria Hunniford at the Rolls Building in London, to give evidence in a legal battle against the BBC. © Press Association Sir Cliff Richard arrives with Gloria Hunniford at the Rolls Building in London, to give evidence in a legal battle against the BBC. He is suing the BBC for “substantial damages” and the trial, being heard by Mr Justice Mann, started on Thursday.

Bill Cosby’s chief accuser says she wants justice in sex trial

  Bill Cosby’s chief accuser says she wants justice in sex trial Andrea Constand’s appearance was her second chance to confront the TV star in court.Andrea Constand’s appearance was her second chance to confront Cosby in court after his first trial ended with a hung jury.

Sir Cliff Richard has won his privacy case against the BBC over its coverage of a police raid on his Speaking outside the High Court in London, the BBC 's director of news and current affairs Fran The judge was also critical of various BBC witnesses who gave evidence . Gary Smith, the BBC 's UK

The High Court ruling on Sir Cliff Richard 's privacy case against the BBC has prompted reaction from media, police and friends of the singer. But, she noted, the judge stressed that even if no footage of the search had been broadcast , then "the very naming of Sir Cliff would have been unlawful".

BBC bosses dispute his claims.

A barrister leading Sir Cliff’s legal team told Mr Justice Mann on Thursday that BBC coverage of the search at the singer’s apartment in Sunningdale, Berkshire, in August had a “prolonged impact” on the star.

Sir Cliff Richard (right) leaves the Rolls Building in London, where a High Court judge has been hearing evidence in a legal battle between Sir Cliff and the BBC. © Press Association Sir Cliff Richard (right) leaves the Rolls Building in London, where a High Court judge has been hearing evidence in a legal battle between Sir Cliff and the BBC. He said the singer should get compensation at the “very top end of the scale”.

The BBC says its coverage of the police raid on Sir Cliff Richard’s apartment was accurate and in good faith.

Lawyers representing BBC bosses told Mr Justice Mann that the raid was a “matter of legitimate public interest”.

Sir Cliff Richard resumes BBC damages claim over police raid coverage

  Sir Cliff Richard resumes BBC damages claim over police raid coverage The singer is suing the BBC for ‘substantial damages’.He is suing the BBC in the High Court for “substantial damages” and the trial, being heard by Mr Justice Mann, began on Thursday.

The BBC will not appeal a court decision to award Sir Cliff Richard damages over their coverage of a police raid on his home. “There are lessons for the BBC in how we reported this story and we will think very carefully about our approach in the future – both in tone and style.

Sir Cliff Richard is preparing to give evidence at a High Court trial after suing the BBC . The 77-year-old singer has taken legal action over coverage of a raid on his home following a Mr Justice Mann began overseeing a trial in London on Thursday. Sir Cliff is due to give evidence on Friday.

BBC Head of Newsgathering Jonathan Munro arrives at the Rolls Building in London, during Sir Cliff Richard's legal battle against the BBC. © Press Association BBC Head of Newsgathering Jonathan Munro arrives at the Rolls Building in London, during Sir Cliff Richard's legal battle against the BBC. Metropolitan Police officers passed the allegation to South Yorkshire Police in July 2014.

Sir Cliff denied the allegation and in June 2016 prosecutors announced that he would face no charges.

A BBC spokesman has said the BBC reported Sir Cliff’s “full denial of the allegations at every stage”.

Lawyers representing South Yorkshire Police are expected to outline their case on Friday, following which Sir Cliff is due to give evidence.

The trial is due to last 10 days.

BBC reporter did not reveal Sir Cliff raid-Yewtree connection, court told .
The BBC contends there was a ‘legitimate public interest’ in its coverage and is vigorously defending the case. The court previously heard reporter Dan Johnson met with a South Yorkshire Police detective and the force’s head of communications after receiving a “tip-off” from another source that Sir Cliff was being investigated over an allegation of sexual assault.During cross examination on Monday Declan Wilson, the BBC’s north of England bureau editor at the time, said Mr Johnson gave him some information about his confidential source.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

This is interesting!