UK News: LATEST | This is the 25 year-old NI man arrested on suspicion of murder after 39 dead bodies found in lorry container - - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

UK News LATEST | This is the 25 year-old NI man arrested on suspicion of murder after 39 dead bodies found in lorry container

02:55  24 october  2019
02:55  24 october  2019 Source:   newsletter.co.uk

Essex lorry deaths: what happened to the 39 victims?

  Essex lorry deaths: what happened to the 39 victims? Driver arrested after police called to industrial park in early hours of the morningOfficers made the discovery after being called to Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays at around 1.40am on Wednesday. The lorry driver, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

a man wearing a hat and sunglasses posing for the camera © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

The vehicle driver, named in reports as Mo Robinson from Portadown in Co Armagh, Northern Ireland, is being held by Essex police on suspicion of murder.

Several pictures on his Facebook profile match those of the vehicle at the centre of the investigation in Grays.

Police officers in Northern Ireland undertook two search operations in Co Armagh on Wednesday night linked to the investigation.

a truck that is driving down the street © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

There was no answer at the Co Armagh home of Mr Robinson on Wednesday evening.

Initial reports suggested the lorry entered the U.K. via Rosslare in the Republic of Ireland however detectives now believe the trailer was transported from Zeebrugge in Belgium to Purfleet at 12:30am on Wednesday.

Mo Robinson: man arrested over 39 bodies found in Essex lorry container named as truck driver, 25, from Northern Ireland

  Mo Robinson: man arrested over 39 bodies found in Essex lorry container named as truck driver, 25, from Northern Ireland The trailer carrying the people who were found dead is believed to have travelled from Zeebrugge into Purfleet, EssexEarlier on Wednesday police said a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, believed to be the driver of the vehicle, had been arrested on suspicion of murder.

a man standing in front of a truck © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

The tractor unit, which is registered to a company in Bulgaria, is thought to have been driven from Northern Ireland to Holyhead in Wales before arriving in Purfleet.

The tractor unit and container left Purfleet at 1:05am.

Police officers were made aware of the 39 dead bodies when ambulance staff made the grim discovery 30 minutes later in Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays.

The Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement on Wednesday afternoon confirming the precise location in Bulgaria where the lorry is registered.

a person standing in front of a truck © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

"The Scania truck was registered in Varna (on the east coast of Bulgaria) under the name of a company owned by an Irish citizen.

Essex Lorry Deaths: Two Arrested On Suspicion Of Human Trafficking And Manslaughter

  Essex Lorry Deaths: Two Arrested On Suspicion Of Human Trafficking And Manslaughter Police have arrested two more people over the deaths of 39 people found in a truck, believed to be Chinese nationals, on suspicion of human trafficking and manslaughter. A man and a woman, both aged 38, were arrested in Warrington, northern England, Essex police said. The driver of the truck, a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland, remains in police custody having been arrested on suspicion of murder. A statement from Essex Police said: “We have carried out warrants in Cheshire as part of the investigation into 39 bodies being discovered in a lorry trailer in Grays.

"The driver of the truck is from Northern Ireland, UK, has been arrested and is being questioned on the case by the British police."

The Minstry added: "The truck was found earlier this morning in a parking lot in the British city of Grays.

"The bodies of 38 adults and a teenager have not yet been identified, but police said that it is highly unlikely that they are Bulgarians."

The PSNI has also confirmed that it is supporting Essex Police as it carries out a murder investigation.

a truck is parked in front of a building © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

Essex Police said: “Emergency services arrived but sadly, 39 people were pronounced dead at the scene.

a close up of text on a black background © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

”Early indications suggest 38 are adults and one aged in their teens.

"A 25-year-old-man from Northern Ireland has been arrested on suspicion of murder."

Essex Police Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said it will take time to identify all 39 victims.

Essex Lorry Deaths: Family Fears For Missing Vietnamese Woman

  Essex Lorry Deaths: Family Fears For Missing Vietnamese Woman Fears are growing that one of the 39 victims found dead in a refrigerated lorry in Essex this week could be a Vietnamese woman whose family say she has gone missing. Initially suspected to be Chinese migrants, it has emerged that at least one of the deceased might have been Vietnamese. On Friday the country’s embassy in London confirmed it has contacted police in regard to a missing woman feared to be one of the 39 people found dead in a lorry on Wednesday.A spokesman for the embassy said they had been contacted by a family in Vietnam which claimed their daughter had been missing “since the lorry was found”.

"This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened.

"We are in the process of identifying the victims, however I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process," he said.

"We believe the lorry is from Bulgaria and entered the country at Holyhead on Saturday 19 October and we are working closely with our partners to investigate.

a person standing next to a fence © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

"We have arrested the lorry driver in connection with the incident who remains in police custody as our enquiries continue. I appreciate this cordon is going to disrupt the activity of local businesses in the area and we will work to ensure that disruption is kept as short as possible. We are working with Thurrock Council to mitigate against any impact our investigation scene will have locally."

a man in a swing © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd

Road Haulage Association chief executive Richard Burnett said it was plausible the lorry reached Grays via the Republic of Ireland.

"It's highly unlikely that if this vehicle has come from Europe that it's been physically checked," he told PA.

Essex Lorry Deaths: Police Search For Driver Who Delivered Container To Belgian Port Before 39 People Discovered Dead

  Essex Lorry Deaths: Police Search For Driver Who Delivered Container To Belgian Port Before 39 People Discovered Dead Police are urgently trying to track down the driver who delivered the trailer, later discovered to contain 39 people, to a port in Belgian before being shipped to the UK. The Belgian prosecutor’s office said officers were attempting to find the driver who delivered the refrigerated container to Zeebrugge on Tuesday. Essex Police were called to the Grays Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays just before 1.40am on Wednesday. Thirty-nine people, initially believed to be Chinese nationals, were found dead inside the container. Missing person reports now suggest that a number of the victims may have been from Vietnam, however formal identification has not yet taken place.

"Because of the migrant issue at Dover and Calais, you've got far more checks that are taking place there. You've got heartbeat monitors, you've got dogs, you've got CO2. Those checks are done as you drive through.

"Cherbourg, because it's a low volume port, you probably won't have the same security measures that they have in Coquelles, Calais, for the high number of vehicles that are stepping through there and that's been one of the main migrant routes historically.

"If this is somebody trying to smuggle a significant number of people through then maybe Cherbourg has been picked because it's a little easier to get through."

DUP leader and MLA, Arlene Foster, described the incident as "horrifying news".

"Horrifying news coming from Essex this morning," said Mrs. Foster.

"Thinking of those who have impacted and their families during such a distressing time," she added.

British Home Secretary, Priti Patel, described the incident as "utterly tragic".

"Shocked and saddened by this utterly tragic incident in Grays," said Home Secretary Patel.

"Essex Police has arrested an individual and we must give them the space to conduct their investigations," she added.

The local M.P., Jackie Doyle-Price (Conservative), described the incident as "sickening".

"Sickening news of 39 people found dead in a container in Grays.

"People trafficking is a vile and dangerous business.

"This is a big investigation for @EssexPoliceUK

"Lets hope they bring these murderers to justice," she tweeted.

Three people arrested over Essex lorry deaths released on bail .
Three people arrested over deaths of the 39 people whose bodies were found in a lorry container have been released on bail. A 38-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman from Warrington were arrested in Cheshire on Friday, while a 45-year-old man from Northern Ireland was arrested at Stansted Airport later the same day.All three had been questioned on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people, Essex Police said.The man and woman from Warrington have both been released on bail until 11 November while the man from Northern Ireland has been bailed until 13 November.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 7
This is interesting!