UK News Vietnam receives documents from UK on truck victims
39 people found dead in truck container in southeast England
LONDON (AP) — Police in southeastern England said 39 people were found dead Wednesday inside a large cargo truck believed to have come from Bulgaria. The truck, which is said to have entered Britain via the Welsh port of Holyhead on Saturday, was found by ambulance workers at Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays, a town just by the River Thames around 25 miles (40 kms) east of central London. "This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened," Essex Police Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said.
DIEM THINH, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnam's government said Monday that it has received from British authorities the documents of four of the people found dead in the back of a truck in England last week to help determine whether any of them are Vietnamese.
They never had a chance: How 39 desperate stowaway migrants were locked in their metal coffin and left to die on tragic final journey from Belgium to Essex
In May the National Crime Agency said gangs had turned their attention to Belgian ports after security was stepped up in France.The 39 migrants, locked inside a bitterly cold and airless shipping container, never stood a chance – their cries for help fading away with no one to hear them.
The documents were handed over to Vietnam's ministry of public security and will be used to help identify the victims, Deputy Foreign Minister Pham Thanh Son was cited by the VNExpress news website as saying.
It was not immediately clear what type of documents were sent.
British police initially believed the victims were Chinese, but later acknowledged that details around the bodies found last Wednesday in southeastern England were still evolving. Up to 24 Vietnamese families have since reported missing relatives whom they fear to be among the dead.
UK media: 39 truck death victims were all from China
LONDON (AP) — British police raided two sites in Northern Ireland and questioned a truck driver as they investigated the deaths of 39 people found in a truck container at an industrial park in southeastern England. British media, citing sources, reported Thursday that the victims were all Chinese citizens. The truck's driver — a 25-year-old man from Northern Ireland — has been arrested on suspicion of murder. He has not been charged and his name has not been released.Essex Police would not confirm the reports by Britain's Press Association, the BBC and ITV on the victims' nationalities.
Vietnamese authorities have taken hair and other forensic samples from families who have reported missing people to assist the identification efforts.
British police said they have removed all the bodies from the truck and are awaiting autopsies. Identifying the victims is expected to be difficult and officials said very few documents were found with the bodies.
Smugglers normally take the passports of their passengers to obscure their identities, stripping them of their names and giving them new documents when they arrive at their destinations.
The Latest: 2 more arrests in gruesome UK truck deaths case
LONDON (AP) — The Latest on the case of 39 people found dead in a truck in England (all times local): 12:55 p.m. British police say they've arrested two more people in connection with the deaths of 39 people found in the back of a container truck in southeastern England. Police say a man and a woman, both 38 and from Warrington in northwest England, have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people. The 25-year-old12:55 p.m.
Families in central Vietnam continue to cling to hope that their missing loved ones are not among the victims.
In Diem Thinh village in Nghe An province, Hoang Thi Ai cried Monday as she received relatives and neighbors coming to her house to check on the latest news on her missing 18-year-old son, Hoang Van Tiep, who the family fears may be among the victims.
Tiep worked as a restaurant dishwasher in France for two years before deciding to go to England for a better-paying job at a nail salon, Ai said.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said China has asked British authorities to provide more information on the identity of the victims in what British officials have called one of the country's deadliest cases of human smuggling.
Inside the Scandal That Killed 346 People and Destroyed Boeing’s Reputation
Inside the Scandal That Killed 346 People and Destroyed Boeing’s ReputationIt was the most violent kind of air crash: a nosedive into the sea at high speed with the engines running at full power.
Geng also said Monday that reports that the victims had Chinese passports was "speculation."
China's Assistant Foreign Minister Chen Xiaodong said the case shows that illegal immigration is a global issue.
"It needs to be jointly dealt with and properly resolved by all parties concerned so that we can prevent a tragedy like this from repeating in the future," Chen said at a news conference in Beijing.
British authorities charged the 25-year-old truck driver with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people. He was expected in court Monday. Three other people have been arrested in connection to the case.
Associated Press writer Yanan Wang in Beijing contributed to this report.
Vigil held in UK for 39 Vietnamese who died in a truck .
LONDON (AP) — London's Vietnamese community has gathered at a vigil and a service to honor the 39 Vietnamese victims who died in a refrigerated truck container in southeastern England. The community is mourning the unidentified victims, who were trying to enter Britain in hopes of finding greater opportunity. They were discovered dead on Oct. 23 at an industrial park in the town of Grays. Rev. Simon Nguyen offered prayers for the victims and for their loved ones in Vietnam.
Vietnamese death truck victim paid for 'business class' trip to UK
The devastated parents of a Vietnamese woman thought to be among 39 migrants found dead in a lorry have told of how she was hoodwinked into paying ...
Tearful wife fears husband was among 39 stowaways found dead in Essex
A container in which 39 migrants were found dead was part of a convoy of three lorries, it has been claimed - as two more suspected victims are named.