UK News The Latest: China asks UK for more info on truck victims
Hong Kong Police Fire Tear Gas as Protesters Defy Ban
HONG KONG — Police banned the march. Two of its promoters were attacked. **Graphic images
HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — The Latest on the 39 people found dead in the back of a truck in England (all times local):
China says it has asked British authorities to provide more information on the identity of 39 people who were found dead in a truck in southeastern England last week.
39 people found dead in truck container in southeast England
LONDON (AP) — Police in southeastern England said 39 people were found dead Wednesday inside a large cargo truck believed to have come from Bulgaria. The truck, which is said to have entered Britain via the Welsh port of Holyhead on Saturday, was found by ambulance workers at Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays, a town just by the River Thames around 25 miles (40 kms) east of central London. "This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened," Essex Police Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Monday that the U.K. has not confirmed the victims' nationalities. British police initially believed they were Chinese, but later acknowledged that the details were still evolving.
Geng described reports that the victims had Chinese passports as "speculation."
The spokesman added that the Chinese embassies in Vietnam and the U.K. are in close contact with their counterparts in those countries.
He said he hoped "parties concerned about this incident should make remarks based on facts, instead of making subjective guesswork from first impressions."
Dozens of Vietnamese families have reported missing relatives whom they fear are among the dead.
Vietnam says it has received from British authorities the documents of four of the people found dead in the back of a truck in England last week to help determine whether any of them are Vietnamese.
They never had a chance: How 39 desperate stowaway migrants were locked in their metal coffin and left to die on tragic final journey from Belgium to Essex
In May the National Crime Agency said gangs had turned their attention to Belgian ports after security was stepped up in France.The 39 migrants, locked inside a bitterly cold and airless shipping container, never stood a chance – their cries for help fading away with no one to hear them.
Vietnamese Deputy Foreign Minister Pham Thanh Son was cited by the VNExpress news website as saying Monday that the documents were handed over to ministry of public security. He said the documents will be used to help identify the victims.
It was not immediately clear what type of documents were sent.
British police initially believed the victims were Chinese, but later acknowledged that details around the bodies found last Wednesday in southeastern England were still evolving. Up to 24 Vietnamese families have since reported missing relatives whom they fear to be among the dead.
China says it hopes the U.K. can quickly identify the 39 people who were found dead in the back of a sealed truck in southeastern England.
Police initially believed the victims were Chinese, but dozens of Vietnamese families have since reported missing relatives whom they suspect to be among the dead.
China's Assistant Foreign Minister Chen Xiaodong called on the international community Monday to work together against illegal immigration.
Chen said the case "needs to be jointly dealt with and properly resolved by all parties concerned so that we can prevent a tragedy like this from repeating in the future."
British authorities charged the 25-year-old truck driver with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people. He is expected in court Monday.
Vietnam receives documents from UK on truck victims .
DIEM THINH, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnam's government said Monday that it has received from British authorities the documents of four of the people found dead in the back of a truck in England last week to help determine whether any of them are Vietnamese. The documents were handed over to Vietnam's ministry of public security and will be used to help identify the victims, Deputy Foreign Minister Pham Thanh Son was cited by the VNExpress news website as saying.It was not immediately clear what type of documents were sent.
Relatives fear Vietnamese woman among Essex lorry dead
The Vietnamese Embassy in London says it's received requests from a number of families asking for their help to find out if their relatives were among the 39 ...
Vigil a year after of death of 58 Chinese immigrants in truck.
London - 18 June 2001 1. Pullout Home Office sign plate to wide of group of people commemorating one year anniversary of the deaths of the Dover 58, the ...