UK News: John Downey to be questioned about other alleged historical offences, court hears - - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

UK News John Downey to be questioned about other alleged historical offences, court hears

20:05  31 october  2019
20:05  31 october  2019 Source:   belfastlive.co.uk

15 sex abuse crimes committed against children in Scotland every day

  15 sex abuse crimes committed against children in Scotland every day Sexual offences are committed against children 15 times every day in Scotland, new research has shown. © Provided by Johnston Publishing Ltd NSPCC Scotland found there were 5,325 recorded offences, including rape, grooming and sexual assault against children in 2018/19.The number of child sex abuse crimes involving the internet or social media has risen by nearly a fifth in the past year across the UK as a whole.Charity the NSPCC gathered data from 44 UK police forces that showed there were 76,204 sexual offences against children reported in 2018/19.

John Downey wearing a suit and tie smiling and looking at the camera © Oli Scarff/ Getty Images John Downey

A 67-year-old man charged with murdering two British soldiers in 1972 is to be questioned about other historical alleged offences, it emerged today.

John Downey was brought before Belfast Magistrates' Court for an application to have him released into police custody.

Detectives were given up to three days to interview him about undisclosed matters unrelated to the current case against him.

Downey's newly instructed solicitor, John Finucane, opposed the move on the basis that it was unnecessary and excessive.

The defendant is currently charged over a car bomb attack which killed Ulster Defence Regiment members Alfred Johnston and James Eames in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh.

Man accused of sexually assaulting medical student leaves court and doesn't want to proceed with case - court hears

  Man accused of sexually assaulting medical student leaves court and doesn't want to proceed with case - court hears Man accused of sexually assaulting medical student leaves court and doesn't want to proceed with case - court hearsRichard Duncan (42) was in court after allegedly "grabbing at" the woman, a medical student in her 20s, in the early hours after Valentine's Day as she was walking to Copper Face Jacks nightclub.

Downey, with an address in Creeslough, Co Donegal, faces prosecution after losing a battle against being extradited from the Republic of Ireland. He was detained in October 2018 under a European Arrest Warrant, exhausting all appeals before handing himself in to the authorities earlier this month.

Lance Corporal Johnston and Private Eames died in an explosion on the Irvinestown Road in August 1972.

They were carrying out checks on a car when a command wire initiated device was detonated, killing them instantly. The bomb went off as a truck carrying 13 off-duty soldiers approached, blowing it onto its side and injuring some of the troops inside.

That lorry is believed to have been the primary target for the attack. Downey is also charged with aiding and abetting an explosion likely to endanger life.

Vale councillor Anthony Hampton is facing six further charges of historical sexual offences against children

  Vale councillor Anthony Hampton is facing six further charges of historical sexual offences against children The former teacher had already been charged with 10 offences relating to two people who were children at the time of the alleged offences. Hampton, a councillor for Illtyd, will appear at Cardiff Magistrates Court on October 29. A South Wales Police spokesman said: "South Wales Police has charged 72-year-old Anthony Hampton from Barry with six further offences of non-recent sexual offences. "The charges relate to two people, of the alleged offences. "He will appear at Cardiff Magistrates Court on 29th October.

A previous court was told his fingerprint was allegedly found on insulating tape used to construct the device. Although the original impression has since degraded, photographs of it were said to have been used in "multiple comparisons".

They included analysis carried out on prints taken from Downey earlier this month, and also after his arrest at Gatwick Airport in 2013 for the 1982 bombing at London's Hyde Park.

He had been due to stand trial for the murder of four Royal Household Cavalry men in the Hyde Park attack. But the case against him collapsed after it emerged that he received a letter of assurance from the British Government that he was not wanted for any offences.

The prosecution now intends to rely on the fingerprints taken at Gatwick as evidence in the current case.

Last week Downey was refused bail at the High Court. He was produced from custody today for the police bid to be allowed to question him about separate matters.

Prosecutors ‘can reveal details of John Gilligan’s past during trial’

  Prosecutors ‘can reveal details of John Gilligan’s past during trial’ Prosecutors ‘can reveal details of John Gilligan’s past during trial’The Irishman, 67, from Greenforth Crescent in Dublin, was stopped at Belfast International Airport in Co Antrim last year with 22,280 euro (£19,240) in cash as he was about to board a flight to Alicante in Spain.

Despite Mr Finucane's objections, Judge Philip Mateer QC granted a period of up to three days for the new interview purposes.

For more of today's top stories in Belfast and beyond, click here.

Keep up-to-date with all the very latest news, what's on, sport and everything else in Belfast and beyond with the Belfast Live app.

Only select news that interests you by picking the topics you want to display on the app's homepage. Plus, our enhanced user experience includes live blogs, video, interactive maps and slick picture galleries. Download it now and get involved.

Click here to get it from the App Store or here for Google Play .

Man to go on trial for 60 alleged sex abuse offences involving 18 children .
Family members of some of the alleged victims were in court for the arraignment hearing. A prosecution barrister told Judge Babington that the trial was expected to last at least four weeks. A trial date was provisionally fixed for next June and the case is to be reviewed on November 12. In the meantime the defendant was released on continuing bail. For more of today's top stories in Belfast and beyond, click here. Keep up-to-date with all the very latest news, what's on, sport and everything else in Belfast and beyond with the Belfast Live app.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!