•   
  •   

UK News Schools warned over festive candles after young boy's nativity costume catches fire

18:46  12 december  2019
18:46  12 december  2019 Source:   uk.news.yahoo.com

House fires warning after more than 500 incidents recorded last Christmas

  House fires warning after more than 500 incidents recorded last Christmas More than 500 accidental house fires were recorded across Scotland during the festive season last year.The new figures released by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service show a total of 509 incidents were recorded between December 10 2018 and January 14 2019, with 91 casualties - 37 of whom were aged 60 or over.The figure is down slightly from the previous year - 528 incidents between December 11 2017 and January 15 2018 - but still higher than the 486 incidents recorded from December 12 2016 to January 16 2017.

A young boy has been rushed to hospital after suffering serious burns at a carol service after his nativity costume was reportedly set alight. Students from St Thomas Becket Catholic Primary School were at Addiscombe Catholic Church in Croydon, south London for a Christmas event this afternoon.

A HORRIFIED dad screamed "my son" after his little boy was set on fire by a falling candle at a Christmas carol concert, stunned witnesses The lad, whose age hasn't been released, was at the festive event for kids aged seven to 11 at a Croydon church when the horror unfolded at around 2pm.

a large brick building with grass in front of a house: Our Lady of the Annunciation Church on Bingham Road, Croydon where a young boy suffered serious burns during a school Christmas carol event on Wednesday. (PA) Our Lady of the Annunciation Church on Bingham Road, Croydon where a young boy suffered serious burns during a school Christmas carol event on Wednesday. (PA)

Parents and teachers were warned about the dangers of festive candles today after a young boy suffered severe burns during his school nativity.

Three people, including the child, were injured when the boy’s costume caught fire at Our Lady of the Annunciation Church in Croydon, south London on Wednesday.

The boy, believed to be between the ages of seven and 10, was taken to hospital by air ambulance and remains in a critical but stable condition.

London Fire Brigade assistant commissioner for fire safety Dan Daly said: “This horrific accident is a stark reminder of the risk real candles can pose.

Accidental house fire warning as more than 500 blazes reported in Scotland

  Accidental house fire warning as more than 500 blazes reported in Scotland More than 500 accidental house fires were recorded across Scotland during the festive season last year, according to new figures. © Provided by The Scotsman A total of 509 incidents were recorded between 10 December 2018 and 14 January 2019, with 91 casualties – 37 of whom were aged 60 or over.The figure is down slightly from the previous year – 528 incidents between 11 December 2017 and 15 January 2018 – but still higher than the 486 incidents recorded from 12 December 2016 to 16 January 2017.

Parents were watching a performance by children dressed in Santa costumes - who in the former Soviet Union traditionally delivers presents at New Year and not Christmas. The children were jumping up and down excitedly as they watched the fireworks.

A shopkeeper told the Sun: “The boy ’ s father came in here afterwards and was crying, really upset saying my son my son.” Another local added: “I just saw the ambulances and helicopter, there were a lot of schoolchildren outside the church just after it happened. “My daughter has dance classes at the

“They are a completely unnecessary hazard when it comes to children and school plays.

“Sadly this isn’t the first time we have seen clothing and costumes set alight by candles and people need to recognise the risk and prevent these incidents from happening again.

“People should not be using real candles – especially around children, costumes and decorations – when there are far safer alternatives available.”

Mr Daly added LED or electric candles should be used, especially in the festive season when clothing and decorations can pose additional hazards.

READ MORE FROM YAHOO UK

What is the ‘four gift rule’ and why are parents raving about it?

Mum shares simple trick to stop children begging for toys in the lead up to Christmas

Wandering camel, cow, donkey to be featured in live Nativity

  Wandering camel, cow, donkey to be featured in live Nativity A camel, cow and donkey that were found roaming together along a Kansas road have been booked to appear in a Christmas Nativity scene. The trio will be the celebrity guests Saturday during a holiday event at the Tanganyika Wildlife Park, The Wichita Eagle reports. Sully the camel, Gus the donkey and Rufus the cow made headlines last month when the Goddard Police Department asked for help in a Facebook post locating the owners of the “three friends traveling together (towards a Northern star).

It is a HUGE carnival that our parish and school hosts for the community each November! There are rides, entertainment, terrific food, and MUCH, MUCH WHY Novemberfest? The event is our parish' s LARGEST fundraiser and brings in about 0K of revenue for the school , faith formation, and parish

A burns survivor who was scarred when her Halloween costume caught fire aged 13 has urged parents to be vigilant as the holiday approaches. Amy Meadows, now 25, from Manchester, suffered 'lifelong' injuries when her costume caught fire after brushing a candle on a low coffee table at a

Mum labels school 'sexist' for casting daughter as 'Inn Keeper's wife' in nativity

London Ambulance Service attended the scene on Wednesday afternoon and later called officers from the Metropolitan Police, who are not investigating the incident.

The Health and Safety Executive was also informed.

Croydon Council will now review the incident with the school, the Archdiocese of Southwark and London Fire Brigade.

A council spokesman said: “Our thoughts are with all those affected by this very sad incident and we are supporting staff, pupils and the wider school community.

“We will be working closely with the school, the diocese and London Fire Brigade to review the circumstances to minimise the risk of anything like this happening in the future.”

---The election explained: Watch Yahoo's simple guide---

Head teacher Noel Campbell said: “Our whole school community is devastated by the incident that occurred at our carol service yesterday.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the child and his family at this difficult time.

“Following this incident, our pupils, staff and families are being given support.”

A statement from the archdiocese said: “The Archdiocese of Southwark was informed of an incident that occurred at Our Lady of the Annunciation Catholic Church in Addiscombe, which led to a child suffering serious burns and two adults also sustaining injuries.

“At this time our thoughts and prayers are with the child and those injured, their families, and the school and parish community.

“The archdiocese and school involved are co-operating fully with the ongoing investigation.”

Dublin Fire Brigade members fear lives will be put at risk over Christmas due to ambulance delays .
An urgent request has been made by members calling on the Government and Dublin City Council to provide extra resources .SIPTU Sector Organiser, Brendan O’Brien, said: “Our members in DFB, who are all qualified Firefighter/Paramedics, believe lives will been put at risk due to ambulance delays over the festive season. "They have warned that the service has already reached breaking point due to under resourcing and the ongoing impasse between the HSE and Dublin City Council around the funding for the service.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 0
This is interesting!