•   
  •   

UK News Third appeal against Lockerbie bombing verdict begins

13:45  24 november  2020
13:45  24 november  2020 Source:   msn.com

Johnson plays like No. 1 and seizes control at the Masters

  Johnson plays like No. 1 and seizes control at the Masters AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — Even without spectators in November, the Masters promised to deliver more drama with 10 players separated by a single shot going into a weekend filled with possibilities. And then Dustin Johnson turned it into a one-man show. The No. 1 player in the world looked every bit the part Saturday, racing away from a five-way share of the lead with an explosive start — 4 under through four holes — and never letting his foot off the gas until he had a 7-under 65 and matched the 54-hole Masters record.More importantly, Johnson had a four-shot lead.

A third appeal on behalf of the Libyan man convicted of the 1988 Lockerbie bombing is set to begin at the High Court in Edinburgh. Abdelbaset al-Megrahi's family want it to rule that he was the victim of a miscarriage of justice. He was found guilty in 2001 after standing trial at a specially convened Scottish

An appeal against the conviction of the late Abdelbaset al-Megrahi for theLockerbie bombing has been formally lodged at the High Court. Memorial for those killed in the Lockerbie Air Disaster. On the issue of unreasonable verdict , the commission said a miscarriage ofjustice may have occurred

A third appeal against the conviction of the late Abdelbaset al-Megrahi for the Lockerbie bombing is under way at the High Court in Edinburgh.

a close up of a man wearing a hat: Abdelbaset al-Megrahi (Danny Lawson/PA) © Danny Lawson Abdelbaset al-Megrahi (Danny Lawson/PA)

The bombing of Pan Am flight 103, travelling from London to New York on December 21 1988, killed 270 people in Britain’s largest terrorist atrocity.

Former Libyan intelligence officer Megrahi, who was found guilty in 2001 of mass murder and jailed for life with a minimum term of 27 years, was the only person convicted of the attack.

An appeal against his conviction was lodged after the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC) referred the case to the High Court in March, ruling a possible miscarriage of justice may have occurred.

10 behind-the-scenes secrets about The Queen’s Gambit

  10 behind-the-scenes secrets about The Queen’s Gambit The Queen’s Gambit is currently one of the most popular shows on Netflix. The drama is based on the 1983 Walter Tevis novel of the same name and follows troubled, brilliant chess prodigy Beth Harmon. Here are 10 behind-the-scenes secrets you probably didn’t know…

Lockerbie appeal begins . The appeal is at the Scottish Court at Camp Zeist. Abdelbaset ali Mohmed al-Megrahi was found guilty in January 2001 of bombing Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie and Al Megrahi is appealing against his conviction. Al-Megrahi's co-accused, Al Amin Khalifa Fhimah, a

Lockerbie bombing verdict . Flowers at the Lockerbie Memorial Gardens today. Libyan television reported that Al-Megrahi would be launching an appeal against his conviction. This morning's verdict should - in one sense - bring to a conclusion a story which began on a terrible December

a plane sitting on top of a grass covered field: The Lockerbie bombing claimed 270 lives (PA) © Provided by PA Media The Lockerbie bombing claimed 270 lives (PA)

Judges then granted his son, Ali al-Megrahi, permission to proceed with the appeal in relation to the argument that “no reasonable jury” could have returned the verdict the court did, and on the grounds of non-disclosure of documents by the Crown.

In a statement issued before the hearing started, lawyer Aamer Anwar, who represents the family, said: “It has been a long journey in the pursuit for truth and justice.

“When Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie nearly 32 years ago, killing 270 people from 21 countries, it remains the worst terrorist atrocity ever committed in the UK.

“Since then the case of Abdelbasset Al-Megrahi, the only man ever convicted of the crime, has been described as the worst miscarriage of justice in British legal history.”

Have I Got News For You comedian Fin Taylor blasted for 'disgusting' bomb Glastonbury joke

  Have I Got News For You comedian Fin Taylor blasted for 'disgusting' bomb Glastonbury joke Comedian Fin Taylor is facing a Twitter backlash after he made a “disgusting” joke about bombing Glastonbury Festival during an appearance on Have I Got News For You. Taylor’s made the joke, which inferred people who attend the music event are supporters of former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, while appearing on the BBC’s long-running panel show on Friday (20 November). He started by comparing Corbyn’s followers to fans of music legend Bob Dylan, saying they shared a certain “dogmatic” approach.

Lockerbie bomber loses appeal . Bill Taylor, QC, defended al-Megrahi during the appeal . The Libyan man found guilty of the Lockerbie bombing has lost his appeal against the conviction. Abdelbaset ali Mohmed al-Megrahi will now be taken to a jail in Scotland to begin a sentence of at

Lockerbie verdict 'politically influenced'. Fhimah with Colonel Gaddafi on his return to Tripoli. A United Nations observer at the trial of two Libyans accused of the Lockerbie bombing has said the judgment appeared to be politically Al Megrahi's legal team are appealing against his conviction.

He added: “The reputation of the Scottish criminal justice system has suffered internationally because of widespread doubts about the conviction of Mr Al-Megrahi.

“It is in the interests of justice that these doubts can be addressed; however, he was convicted in a Scottish court of law and that is the only appropriate place for his guilt or innocence to be determined.”

The appeal, which is taking place virtually, began on Tuesday and is being heard before five judges, including Lord President Lord Carloway.

Megrahi’s first appeal against his conviction was refused by the High Court in 2002 and was referred back five years later following an SCCRC review.

He abandoned this second appeal in 2009, shortly before his release from prison on compassionate grounds while terminally ill with cancer.

Megrahi returned to Libya and died in 2012.

Third national lockdown not ruled out as minister warns it may be summer before we 'get back to normal' .
It is "too early to say" if another national lockdown will be needed after Christmas, according to a senior minister. George Eustice said "you can't rule anything out" when asked by Sky News if the "stay at home" measures could come back into force to keep coronavirus under control.The environment secretary also admitted it may be as late as "next summer" until "we can all start to get back to normal" - dependent on a vaccine.A crucial vote is coming up in parliament tomorrow on Prime Minister Boris Johnson's tier system and attempted return to a regional rules approach from 2 December.

usr: 3
This is interesting!