•   
  •   

UK News Big blow to Sir Selloff as Kwarteng orders inquiry into Meggitt deal

01:35  19 october  2021
01:35  19 october  2021 Source:   dailymail.co.uk

Pleas to save millions of homes from fuel poverty as annual bills could reach £2,000

  Pleas to save millions of homes from fuel poverty as annual bills could reach £2,000 MINISTERS have been warned they must act urgently to stop soaring energy costs putting 5.5 million homes in fuel poverty.Ofgem's CEO Jonathan Brearley, below, said: "The wholesale market has gone up and down extremely quickly so we can't predict fully what that will be. But looking at the costs in the system, we are expecting a significant rise in April.

MailOnline logo © Provided by This Is Money MailOnline logo

The Business Secretary slammed the brakes on the sale of Meggitt last night after announcing he will intervene in the takeover of the firm by a US rival.

Kwasi Kwarteng has instructed the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), the UK's competition watchdog, to investigate the takeover of the British defence giant by Parker-Hannifin and produce a report before March 18 next year.

This means the acquisition is likely to be held up for at least six months or scrapped altogether on national security grounds.

( © Provided by This Is Money (

The move will come as a blow to Meggitt's chairman, Sir Nigel Rudd – dubbed Sir Sell-Off due to his role in handing a litany of UK companies to foreign buyers, including glass business Pilkington and pharmacy chain Boots.

Energy price cap 'will not be moved' and business sec 'convinced' UK won't suffer gas shortage

  Energy price cap 'will not be moved' and business sec 'convinced' UK won't suffer gas shortage The price cap on consumers' energy bills "will not be moved" this winter Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng has told Sky News - and he is "convinced" the UK will not suffer gas shortages in the coming months. © Getty The energy price cap for consumers 'will not be moved' this winter Speaking to the Trevor Phillips On Sunday show, Mr Kwarteng said he was "convinced we will have full energy supply" despite soaring wholesale gas prices around the world - although he stopped short of offering a full guarantee that there would not be disruption.

Rudd stands to make £2million from his shares if the deal goes through, while chief executive Tony Wood is in line to pocket as much as £7.4million.

Kwarteng's decision was first revealed by the Mail last month.

It was backed by Tory grandee Lord Heseltine, who said: 'I think this is a proper decision by the Secretary of State.

It's in line with international practice and it makes industrial sense. It is important that the national interest be considered in these takeovers.'

Coventry-based Meggitt traces its roots back to the 1850s and the invention of the first altitude meter for hot air balloons.

It has around 9,000 staff, 2,000 of whom are in the UK, and makes components for planes and military jets including 'black boxes', wheel and brake components for the Royal Air Force's Typhoon fighter jets and kit for American F-35 aircraft.

'Factories 'days away' from stopping production due to energy crisis'

  'Factories 'days away' from stopping production due to energy crisis' Bosses behind energy-heavy industries are said to be considering temporary shut downs due to spiralling gas prices - which threaten to push firms into the red.Bosses behind energy-heavy firms are said to be considering temporary shut downs due to spiralling gas prices - which threaten to turn profits to loss.

Meggitt was targeted earlier this year by Parker-Hannifin and Transdigm, two firms located in Ohio.

Parker-Hannifin saw its £6.3billion takeover offer overwhelmingly backed by Meggitt shareholders last month, with 99.8 per cent voting in favour.

Sir Nigel Rudd – dubbed Sir Sell-Off –  stands to make £2m from his shares if the deal goes through © Provided by This Is Money Sir Nigel Rudd – dubbed Sir Sell-Off –  stands to make £2m from his shares if the deal goes through ( © Provided by This Is Money (

The US firm made a series of commitments related to jobs, research funding and governance when it made its offer – although many of these will only last for one year.

Sceptics believe any pledges are likely to be worthless.

A string of UK defence firms have been snapped up by private equity groups and foreign competitors in recent years.

Cobham was sold to American private equity outfit Advent International in a £4billion deal in 2020, despite protests from members of the company's founding family, senior military figures and MPs.

Another nightmare before Xmas: Britain's busiest port is in turmoil

  Another nightmare before Xmas: Britain's busiest port is in turmoil Felixstowe in Suffolk has become severely congested to the point that Maersk, the world's largest container shipping company, is diverting its big vessels away from the UK.Felixstowe in Suffolk has become severely congested to the point that Maersk, the world’s largest container shipping company, is diverting its big vessels away from the UK because the dockside is full and there are not enough truck drivers to pick up and deliver fully loaded containers and return the empty ones.

Earlier this year, Advent agreed a £2.6billion deal to take out Ultra Electronics, which makes submarine-hunting equipment for the Royal Navy. However, the merger faces a CMA probe.

GKN, one of Britain's oldest manufacturing businesses, was sold to engineering conglomerate Melrose for £8billion in 2018.

Melrose has announced 'significant' job cuts and plans to close one of GKN's factories in Birmingham.

A spokesman for Parker- Hannifin said: 'We look forward to engaging with the Government on the process and bringing the review of the transaction to a satisfactory conclusion.

'We continue to expect that the transaction will close in quarter three 2022 and will not offer any further comment on regulatory processes.'

Read more

National Security Adviser defends UK response to Afghanistan crisis .
Sir Stephen Lovegrove said that although a Taliban-led regime had been predicted, no-one had expected the speed of the Kabul government’s collapse.Sir Stephen Lovegrove said the Taliban takeover had been anticipated since the February 2020 deal struck in Doha by then-US president Donald Trump with the group which paved the way for the American withdrawal.

usr: 2
This is interesting!