Ireland: Ireland signs up to bid to crack down on terror content online - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

IrelandIreland signs up to bid to crack down on terror content online

09:15  16 may  2019
09:15  16 may  2019 Source:   independent.ie

‘We have nothing to do with drugs feud’ Innocent couple homeless after petrol bomb thrown at Drogheda house

‘We have nothing to do with drugs feud’ Innocent couple homeless after petrol bomb thrown at Drogheda house By Elaine Keogh An innocent couple have told of the nightmare of being wrongly linked to a bloody feud — after their family home was petrol-bombed. Damien and Frances Nugent revealed they were 30 seconds away from dying inside their house. The Nugents are now homeless following the devastating firebomb attack in Drogheda just over a week ago. They both attended an anti-violence rally in the Co Louth town on Saturday, and have told how they are totally innocent and have nothing to do with the ongoing feud in the town.

First, federal authorities seized the classified advertising website Backpage.com last week. Then, a 93-count indictment was unsealed , charging several of its top officials with facilitating prostitution and revealing details about victims including minors as young as 14.

Plans to fine online platforms for failing to act within an hour to take down terrorist -related material is not a case of censorship, EU security commissioner Julian King said. He said that the UK estimates that the Islamic State group uses up to 400 platforms to upload its material, and warned that every

Ireland signs up to bid to crack down on terror content online © PA Wire/PA Images Taoiseach Leo Varadkar speaking after a special Cabinet meeting at Cork City Hall in Ireland, as he has denied calling consultants at the centre of claims about inadequate mortuary services at University Hospital Waterford liars. (Photo by David Young/PA Images via Getty Images)

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that an international crackdown on terror content online shows countries are co-operating "to ensure the internet is not weaponised by the forces of hatred and extremism".

Mr Varadkar made the remarks to other world leaders in Paris as Ireland signed up to the 'Christchurch Call to Action'.

Conservative MP Johnny Mercer Withdraws Support For PM Over ‘Offensive’ Probes Into Military Veterans

Conservative MP Johnny Mercer Withdraws Support For PM Over ‘Offensive’ Probes Into Military Veterans A Conservative MP has withdrawn his support for Theresa May and her government in the Commons over the historical prosecutions of ex-servicemen and women. 

SHANGHAI — China will start to impose tough penalties on people making false terrorist threats against airlines and airports after a stream of bogus calls grounded flights and piled pressure on an already strained air traffic control system, state media reported.

The government’s crackdown on content has raised concerns over freedom of expression online in Indonesia. Telegram Chief Executive Pavel Durov met Mr. Rudiantara on Tuesday and said that Indonesian authorities can report terror -related content to the company, which will then be reviewed

The initiative, led by Jacinda Ardern, the prime minister of New Zealand, and French President Emmanuel Macron, comes after the horrific terrorist attack on mosques in New Zealand in March. The attack was live-streamed by the suspected perpetrator on Facebook and led to the deaths of 51 people.

Ireland signs up to bid to crack down on terror content online Jacinda Ardern and Emmanuel Macron in Paris yesterday. Picture: Reuters Mr Varadkar blamed a delayed commercial flight for missing the main meeting with fellow leaders including British Prime Minister Theresa May, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and King Abdullah II of Jordan.

However, Mr Varadkar said that Irish officials attended and he delivered his remarks on the call to action at a later dinner with his fellow leaders. He spoke of Ireland's shock at the recent terror attacks in New Zealand and Sri Lanka, as well as the attack on Paris in 2015. Mr Varadkar noted that Ireland is the European base for leading social media companies and that the Government is determined to ensure the online environment is as free as possible of illegal content.

Controversial US preacher becomes first person banned from entering Ireland under exclusion powers

Controversial US preacher becomes first person banned from entering Ireland under exclusion powers An American preacher with extreme anti-semitic and anti-gay views has become the first person to be banned from entering Ireland under 1999 exclusion powers. Steven L Anderson, a preacher based in Arizona, came to public prominence in 2009 when he told his congregation how he prayed for the death of President Barack Obama. Anderson and his […]

Updated 6 months ago. EU cracks down on terror content . Platforms like Google and Facebook will have one hour to remove terror -related content or face massive The tech giants could face penalties of up to 4% of their global revenue should they fail to comply with the proposed E.U. legislation.

Signing up to the ‘Christchurch Call’ at a major summit in Paris, she will demand Facebook does more after it was used by Countries across the world including Canada, Ireland , Norway are set to join Britain in signing up to the pledge to demand tech companies do more to stamp out online terrorism .

Ireland signs up to bid to crack down on terror content online © Thomson Reuters Ireland's Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Leo Varadkar attends the funeral service for murdered journalist Lyra McKee at St Anne's Cathedral in Belfast, Northern Ireland April 24, 2019. Brian Lawless/Pool via REUTERS However, speaking to reporters Mr Varadkar could not give a definite timeline for legislation to create the new office of online safety commissioner. It is to have powers to order internet companies to remove content and fine those which don't comply.

Meanwhile, five leading tech companies - Facebook, Google, Amazon, Microsoft and Twitter - have agreed to bring in new measures to help eliminate violent and terrorist content in the wake of the call to action.

MORE NEWS

Boots worn by 'Boy A' had Ana's blood on them, expert tells murder trial (Independent.ie)

Sean Cox's brother slams Man City over version of Liverpool chant (Mirror)

Garda dragged 100 metres by car feared for young passengers (Independent.ie)

‘One of the strangest cases’: A dead professor, a hot tub and a suicide baffle police (The Washington Post)

Ireland finally takes the decision to ban plastic straws and nine other ‘single use’ items.
Plastic straws and nine other single use plastic items will be phased out of Ireland in the coming months. Ireland is banning single use plastics, including straws, cotton buds and cutlery with the items set to be completely illegal by 2021. 

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!