Ireland: Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

IrelandTraveller families ordered to leave unofficial site

21:40  11 july  2019
21:40  11 july  2019 Source:   independent.ie

Police search 'former tipping site' in Suzy Lamplugh murder probe

Police search 'former tipping site' in Suzy Lamplugh murder probe An area being searched by police investigating the murder of Suzy Lamplugh was once used as a tipping site that "could have concealed anything", a woman who lives nearby has told Sky News. Officers investigating the 33-year mystery of the estate agent's murder have started searching areas of land in Worcestershire. The Metropolitan Police said officers are acting on new information received as a result of the publicity surrounding the search of a property in Sutton Coldfield in November last year.

Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site Stock Image

THE High Court has made orders requiring members of the Traveller community to vacate an unofficial halting in Co Tipperary by Tuesday of next week.

The orders were granted by Ms Justice Leonie Reynolds to Tipperary County Council against eight people whose presence at Cabragh Bridge, Cabragh, Thurles, allegedly constitutes a public nuisance.

The Council's proceedings are against William McCarthy, Elizabeth McCarthy, Mary Ellen McCarthy, Jimmy McCarthy, John McCarthy, Winnie McCarthy, Belinda O'Reilly and Ned O'Reilly.

Last week the council obtained permission to serve short notice of the proceedings against the defendants.

Judge to rule Monday whether newspaper editor guilty of contempt over Ana Kriegel story

Judge to rule Monday whether newspaper editor guilty of contempt over Ana Kriegel story A JUDGE will rule on Monday if the editor of a newspaper is guilty of contempt of court over the publication of a front page story on the Ana Kriegel murder trial. The article was published in the Irish Daily Mail on May 3, 2019, and bore the headline "CCTV shows Ana being led to her death". It appeared over a report of the previous day's evidence when CCTV footage was played to the jury showing the two defendants, known as Boy A and Boy B, and 14-year-old Ana in the park on the evening she disappeared. The publication of the article led to an, albeit brief, reporting ban on the entire trial.

The matter returned before the court on Thursday.

David Humphries Bl, for the council, said his client had served the proceedings on the defendants and was seeking injunctions compelling the defendants to remove their mobile homes, vehicles and caravans from Cabragh Bridge, and not cause any obstruction to the roadway.

Gallery: Biggest news stories of 2019 so far (Photo Services)

Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site
Traveller families ordered to leave unofficial site

The council also sought orders requiring the defendants to vacate and cease residing on or anywhere in the vicinity of Cabragh Bridge, which it says is an inappropriate and unsuitable place to reside.

Counsel told the court that the council had offered the defendants alternative accommodation, either at another halting site which was relatively close to the Cabragh Bridge.

While that offer had been made some time ago and had not been accepted by the defendants, counsel said the offer of alternative accommodation "remained open."

There was no appearance by any of the defendants when the case was called on.

Ms Justice Reynolds said she was satisfied to grant the orders sought and said that the defendants must vacate the site by 5pm on Tuesday.

The defendants, the judge must be served with the court's orders by the gardai by 5pm tomorrow.

The court heard that members of the McCarthy family have lived on the Bridge for forty years.

The bridge had formed a part of the R659 regional road. The bridge was left in place following the construction of a new section of that road some years ago.

Tipperary Council has made provision for Travellers who had resided on the bridge to be accommodated in six unit group housing scheme, which is now ready for occupation.

However, the defendants in this action, who it claims moved to the site on various dates between 2015 and September 2018, are not being accommodated in the new scheme.

The council has offered the defendants help in securing alternative accommodation, but says it needs the site at Cabragh Bridge cleared.

The council added that it asked the defendants to leave the site, but they did not do so and that in light of the refusal it had no alternative other than bring legal proceedings against the defendants.

MORE NEWS:

Legendary comedian Brendan Grace dies, aged 68 (Independent.ie)

Boy, 10, drown at Louth house (The Journal)

Veronica Guerin's brother pleads guilty to possession of child porn (Independent.ie)

'It's had its day': ugly scenes as drama descends on Tonga's beauty pageant (The Guardian)

'They're making example of him' - father accuses US authorities.
The family of a Corkman who is facing deportation from the US have said they believe authorities are trying to make an "example" of him. 

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 8
This is interesting!