Ireland: 'It was the scariest three minutes of my life' - mum's warning after son almost died in peanut accident - PressFrom - United Kingdom
  •   
  •   

Ireland'It was the scariest three minutes of my life' - mum's warning after son almost died in peanut accident

19:20  14 august  2019
19:20  14 august  2019 Source:   independent.ie

'My hero, he gave me his liver': Girl, 6, pays tribute to the organ donor, 22, who saved her life after he died of a brain haemorrhage following a hockey accident

'My hero, he gave me his liver': Girl, 6, pays tribute to the organ donor, 22, who saved her life after he died of a brain haemorrhage following a hockey accident Tom Wilson was living the 'perfect' life in London before he died after being hit over the back of the head with a hockey stick in 2015, his mother Lisa told BBC Breakfast. His organs helped 50 people.

A mum has issued a warning to other parents about the dangers of blind cords after her son was Three -year-old was almost strangled to death after trying to make a necklace with blind cord. The little boy had reached out for it , because he wanted to make a necklace, but the horrifying mistake led

A TERRIFIED mum has warned other parents about the horrific moment her HAIR nearly choked She called it " the scariest thing that ever happened" to her after husband Justin had to rip her hair Brits urged to help baby hedgehogs dying of thirst in 30C heatwave. It was then that Justin was able

'It was the scariest three minutes of my life' - mum's warning after son almost died in peanut accident David Healy pictured with his mother Grace and his father Philip A mother has urged parents to take basic life saving training after revealing how a freak accident with peanuts almost cost her two year old son his life.

Grace Healy, a South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital (SIVUH) nurse in Cork, revealed but for intensive cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) her little boy David would not have made it to Kerry and Dublin hospitals for life-saving surgery.

"I wasn’t sure whether to write this but if it can help save a life then I feel a sense of duty to spread the word," Grace explained.

The young mother was on holidays in Kerry with her husband, Philip, and son David when the freak accident occurred as the toddler stuffed some peanuts into his mouth as he played.

'He'd grin from ear-to-ear' - son of dock worker killed in Dublin port accident ask truckers for fitting tribute to dad

'He'd grin from ear-to-ear' - son of dock worker killed in Dublin port accident ask truckers for fitting tribute to dad 'He'd grin from ear-to-ear' - son of dock worker killed in Dublin port accident ask truckers for fitting tribute to dad

'Worst day of my life '. Mum ’ s warning after two-year-old son almost Paramedics arrived within seven minutes later and managed to retrieve the ball with specialist equipment. Carrie, who works for West Mercia Police, said: " It was the worst day of our lives . "We had a day of fun planned

Mum ' s warning after meningitis W death Jump to media player Lauren Sandell was 18 years old when she died from the disease, a few months after starting Boy saved by Christmas Day operation Jump to media player Viki Cooper tells the Victoria Derbyshire programme about her son Ben's fight for life

Grace attempted to take the peanuts away from the child amid safety concerns.

"He began to cry but before he did, he took the biggest breath of his life in. He started coughing and I said: 'He is choking.' I turned him around and did five back slaps. Loads of peanuts fell out of his mouth, but he still couldn't breathe and was turning blue quickly.

"Philip immediately called 999 and I continued with the back-slaps. But his colour was worsening so I continued working on him.

"Then my worst fear happened - he went completely limp and unresponsive. I knew there was something blocking his airwaves and the only thing I could think of was mouth to mouth.

"I did a head tilt and a chin lift and gave the two biggest breaths of my life after blocking his nose. Almost immediately the colour started improving."

Tragic dad killed in workplace accident at Dublin docks named locally as Nicholas Collier

Tragic dad killed in workplace accident at Dublin docks named locally as Nicholas Collier He is survived by his wife, parents and four sons

Almost every time we meet, he has some story to tell about his latest accident . He’ s quite lleuveabebin. I think I’d be very worried if I were his mother. I wonder how many accidents my had life in I’ve. I’ve had a few serious ones up I’ve in ended where hospital. Traffic accidents are the worst.

My son , Daniel, died three years ago at the age of 22. His doctors think Daniel died of new onset refractory status epilepticus, or Norse, a rare seizure disorder in which healthy people with no history of epilepsy I will carry this child for the rest of my life . He lives within me, forever a young man of 22.

But for Grace's quick thinking and ability to perform CPR, little Daniel would likely not have made it to hospital where he later required life saving surgery.

Several of the peanuts had gotten lodged in his lungs.

"It was the scariest two minutes, 58 seconds of my life. Never during my career as a nurse did I think I would have to do three minutes of intense CPR on my own child."

Having helped partially stabilise his condition, Grace accompanied David as he was rushed to University Hospital Kerry (UHK).

However, doctors there decided he needed expert surgical care and he was rushed to Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin.

Because of the weather and time, it was not possible to undertake an air medevac so David was rushed by ambulance with a dedicated medical team at his side.

A chest X-ray revealed the toddler had a blockage in his left lung and required emergency surgery.

"An ENT consultant, came over from Temple Street and he saved David's life," Grace said.

Irish teen 'critical' after freak accident in Lanzarote, Spain

Irish teen 'critical' after freak accident in Lanzarote, Spain He is understood to have suffered head injuries in a fall

Mum warns parents over internet ‘choking game’ after son dies . Alfie Hyett, 10, was found collapsed at his home in March. Louise, from Hereford, told of Alfie’ s death after The Sun revealed Karnel Haughton, 12, died playing the game earlier this month. He is thought to have lost ­consciousness

My son almost died of croup at the age of four. It was an ordinary Friday night in October, three years ago. He had developed a cold and we prepared There was nothing I could do for my little boy. His life was totally out of my hands. My brain did strange things like focus on how interesting it was that they

"He told us it was the most difficult case in his entire 23 years of surgery and they nearly lost him many times in the theatre.

"They found four whole peanuts in his left lung and peanut fragments.

"He just kept repeating how lucky he was to survive surgery."

For a time, the little boy had to be kept on a ventilator as he recovered from the surgery.

"The doctors were sure he was  doing well but three hours later he was rushed back to ICU and back on the ventilator. His right lung was now failing and he needed more surgery," she said.

"I remember my husband Philip asking the consultant 'are we sending my son to die', because he was critically unstable and because of the risk of the surgery."

However, the brave little boy fought through the surgery and, just over 10 days later, was finally able to breath on his own. He is now set to make a full recovery.

Grace said the shocking incident underlined how vitally important it is for parents and family members to have a basic knowledge of CPR and life-saving techniques.

"We just couldn't believe that one minute David was playing with his older brother in his grandparent's house in Ardfert, Co Kerry where we were having the best weekend of our lives," she said.

Man dies following workplace accident in Dublin's North Docks

Man dies following workplace accident in Dublin's North Docks Man dies following workplace accident in Dublin's North Docks

Mum ' s warning after meningitis W death Jump to media player Lauren Sandell was 18 years old when she died from the disease, a few months after starting Lauren Sandell was 18 years old when she died of meningitis W in October last year. Lauren's mother Sharon Sandell said they initially put her

Mum Charmaine said if it wasn't for her partner, Sam, performing CPR little Sophia would have diedCredit Heartbroken mum Beverley Thahane reveals her baby son died of rickets after doctors missed a vitamin D “ It is the most vital thing to learn as a parent – God forbid you ever have to do it .

"He just picked up a bag of peanuts and began stuffing them into his mouth."

She urged people to take CPR training and learn from her family's nightmare experience.

"I could make the difference for your child or someone's child," she said.

"I did not save David's life that day - it was CPR saved him. Please, please learn CPR and keep your skills updated."

MORE NEWS:

Police unable to say yet what killed Nora Quoirin, with post-mortem examination still 'ongoing' (Evening Standard)

Sala exposed to harmful levels of carbon monoxide on board plane (Sky News)

Four-vehicle crash just off M50 (Irish Mirror)

Epstein accuser: Prince Andrew has to love with the truth (Daily Mail)

Over €9,000 raised for tragic Irish girl Emmy Eckert, 5, who drowned on holiday in Germany.
A GoFundMe account set up in an attempt to help the heartbroken parents of Emmy Eckert has raised close to €10,000. Emmy Sophia Eckert, five, died after an accident on a German lake while holidaying with her parents. 

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 1
This is interesting!