Ireland Gardaí report 'significant arrests' in investigation into machete murder of Polish father of two in Cork
'Irish Oskar Schindler' - new €5m Cork bridge honouring woman who saved hundreds of Jewish children during WWII opens
Mary Elmes, the woman known as "the Irish Oskar Schindler, saved more than 200 Jewish children from the Nazi concentration camps - and today she was honoured in her native Cork with the opening of a €5m pedestrian bridge. Ms Elmes, from Ballintemple in Cork city, helped save more than 200 Jewish children during World War II. In 1942, as Nazi Germany began the mass murder of Jewish people at Auschwitz, the Vichy France government made it clear it would no longer allow Jewish children to be exempt from being sent to the concentration camps.
A DETAILED file is to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions following "significant arrests" in the investigation into the murder of a Polish father of two killed by a gang wielding machetes at his Cork home.
Mikolaj Wilk (35) was murdered at his home in Maglin Bridge, Ballincollig, Co Cork in a killing investigating gardaí described one of the most shocking they had ever dealt with.
On June 10, 2018, a gang entered the house and killed him in the presence of his wife, Elzbieta who was also injured. The couple's young children were also in the house, but were not injured.
Young man died in prison after suffering three alcohol withdrawal seizures in space of three hours, inquest hears
Young man died in prison after suffering three alcohol withdrawal seizures in space of three hours, inquest hearsA Cork coroner's inquest heard that Mariusz Serbin (31) died less than a day after being committed to Cork Prison for stealing beer kegs from a city centre pub.
At Cork City Coroner's Court, Sgt Fergus Twomey applied for an adjournment of the inquest in to Mr Wilk's death. He told Cork City Coroner Philip Comyn that the investigation remained active following "significant arrests of national and international dimensions".
A "comprehensive file" is to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). The inquest has been adjourned for mention on April 9, 2020.
Six people have been arrested and released without charge in connection with the death of the father of two.
Three people arrested last April were released without charge. Those arrested included two Irish people and a 29-year-old Latvian man.
'This stuff will kill people eventually' - raid at suspected poteen operation in Cork
'This stuff will kill people eventually' - raid at suspected poteen operation in Cork where the potentially lethal booze was being sold on the streets to the homeless and youngsters.A man is being questioned by officers over the production, distribution and sale of illegal alcohol across Cork city and county.He was detained followed a garda 'sting' operation in Cork city.The 36 year old man can be questioned for an initial period of 12 hours.
The Irish nationals were a man (35) and a woman (33), who were arrested on separate dates in Mayfield in Cork city. The Latvian man was arrested in the Blackpool area of Cork's northside.
On January 22 last, two Polish nationals and a Latvian - all in their 30s - were arrested in connection with the murder probe.
They were arrested at separate locations in Ballincollig and Togher in Cork on suspicion of facilitating and supporting an organised crime gang that gardaí suspect of being behind the murder of Mr Wilk.
At the opening of the inquest late last year Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster said that Mr Wilk died of haemorrhage and shock due to multiple blows with a sharp weapon in association with a traumatic brain injury
A number of raids were carried out last summer as part of the Garda probe. Vehicles were also seized.
The Wilk family returned to Poland in the aftermath of the tragedy and the funeral ceremony for Mr Wilk was conducted there.
Two men facing charges of allegedly scamming €15,000 from two elderly ladies in Cork
Gardaí issued a warning for those who suspect they have been victims of bogus traders.On the 3 and 29 September, gardaí from Watercourse Road received two reports of suspected fraud.
Elzbieta had to be hospitalisation in Cork after the murder. She underwent tendon surgery at Cork University Hospital (CUH).
She was visited there by the then Bishop of Cork and Ross Dr John Buckley, who extended his sympathy to her following her loss.
Members of the Polish community also held remembrance Masses in the wake of the death.
The couple had been living in Ireland for over 10 years and had been due to celebrate their seventh wedding anniversary.
Mr Wilk, who ran a local gardening service, was not known to the authorities.
Over €23,000 was raised for the family after a friend of Mrs Wilk set up a Go Fund Me Page in the days following the murder.
The family appealed for privacy in the wake of the incident.
Gardai investigating whether a criminal mastermind ordered the vicious attack on Kevin Lunney to 'set up' Sean Quinn .
Gardai are investigating if the savage abduction and assault of Kevin Lunney was masterminded by a criminal to set up Sean Quinn. Senior garda sources confirmed that the development is "one line of inquiry" that they want to "bottom out" in what detectives expect to be a prolonged and complex investigation.
Machete attack victim made attempt to speak to gardaí at scene
Machete attack victim made attempt to speak to gardaí at scene Elzbieta and Mikołaj Wilk Gardai at the house in Maglin, Ballincollig, where Mikolaj Wilk was ed ...