•   
  •   

Ireland Young man being questioned about killing of man (37) in isolated Cork cottage

16:35  16 october  2019
16:35  16 october  2019 Source:   independent.ie

Climate change protesters shut down parts of Dublin city in 'last resort' actions

  Climate change protesters shut down parts of Dublin city in 'last resort' actions Paul McCormack-Cooney, an Extinction Rebellion organiser, said: 'We don’t want to be doing this, we don’t want to camp out in the rain and cold, but we have tried everything else'Hundreds of environmental activists took part in protests through Dublin city on Monday as part of the wider Extinction Rebellion group’s week of action to highlight the climate emergency, which will see similar events take place in major cities across the world.

a close up of a logo: Photo: Stock picture Photo: Stock picture

A YOUNG man is being questioned today about the killing of a 37 year old man at an isolated cottage in north Cork four years ago.

The man, aged in his 20s, was detained in the Charleville area and taken to Mallow Garda Station for questioning about the death of Peter Murphy (37).

He can be questioned for up to 12 hours.

Mr Murphy was found dead with multiple injuries in a house he was renting at Shanavoher outside Bweeng in north Cork on February 7 2015.

His body was discovered when his landlord became suspicious of damage spotted to the rented property.

A garda investigation was launched after a post mortem examination found he had injuries consistent with an assault resulting in blunt force trauma.

Nuns accused of 'run and grab all' as Bessborough campus put up for sale

  Nuns accused of 'run and grab all' as Bessborough campus put up for sale €30 million in State funding has been spent on the site over the last two decades.Over the past twenty years, €30 million in State funding has been spent on Bessborough in Blackrock on the southside of Cork city to maintain and upgrade the site.

Mr Murphy has sustained a fractured skull, fractured ribs and damage to both his liver and spleen.

The injuries are consistent with him having been subjected to a prolonged beating.

One of the theories being considered by detectives is that Mr Murphy may have been targeted by a criminal gang over an outstanding debt.

Four years ago, a total of five men were arrested and questioned over Mr Murphy's death.

All five, with addresses in the north Cork area, were released without charge.

Gardai made several appeals for anyone who may have spotted suspicious activity in the Shanavoher, Bweeng, Drommahane or Castletownroche areas between February 4 and 6 2015 to contact them.

Mr Murphy visited his native Castletownroche on February 4 and had apparently made efforts to change his appearance.

Man dies after gardaí called to fire in Cork city

  Man dies after gardaí called to fire in Cork city Man dies after gardaí called to fire in Cork cityGardaí say they were “alerted to a fire and an unconscious man” at Mardyke Walk in the early hours of this morning.

"It is as if he knew someone was looking for him," one local said.

A former primary school classmate, who asked to be unnamed, said Mr Murphy was a very quiet person.

"He kept very much to himself. I found him to be a very nice fella who always said ‘hello’ to you on the street. But he is gone from Castletownroche for a long time now," she said.

He was found lying face-down in the sitting room of his home after a neighbour became concerned over damage to an outside window on Saturday afternoon and alerted the property’s landlord.

  Young man being questioned about killing of man (37) in isolated Cork cottage © Getty

The man called to check the house and immediately alerted gardai and paramedics when he spotted the young man lying prone on the floor.

Mr Murphy had been living in the Rockchapel and Bweeng areas over recent years and is understood to have been out socialising on the previous Friday.

His last contact with his family was a telephone call made on the Thursday afternoon before his death.

Outrage as homeless boy 'Sam', 5, pictured eating dinner off cardboard on Dublin street

  Outrage as homeless boy 'Sam', 5, pictured eating dinner off cardboard on Dublin street Outrage as homeless boy 'Sam', 5, pictured eating dinner off cardboard on Dublin streetFive-year-old 'Sam' was pictured eating carbonara on a pathway in the capital and the image has sparked widespread anger.

The young man had been out of work over recent months.

He had previously been employed working in machinery repairs and as a handyman.

MORE NEWS:

Knife death of father of two linked to slagging at party (Independent.ie)

Taoiseach rejects accusations he personalised death of Cork homeless man (PA)

Boris Johnson within reach of deal as last-ditch talks stretch into night (Evening Standard)

Turkey rejects Syria ceasefire calls (The Hill)

Man assaulted in Cork city last month dies from injuries .
James Duncan was assaulted on 12 September.The 40-year-old man, who has been named locally as James Duncan from Knocknaheeny, died at Cork University Hospital this morning.

—   Share news in the SOC. Networks

Topical videos:

usr: 2
This is interesting!